What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Just quit breaking it and you'll be fine! Or, maybe it just needs the 5 ton axles:imo:

I am rather hard on it.

Its a truck, not a kia, i should be able punish it, and not cry every weekend.
I got half a right to declare i know what the **** im doing, this isnt the first transmission endevour of my lifetime, and the last one i did was a HALF ASS 4L60e thats taken beatings from a 39x15x16.5 cut bogger, on 4.10 geared 1 tons.

This **** makes no ******* sense to me. I just know i want it to be over with.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
gear whine from the rear end resonating back up into the transmission?

Its worth a look, i will be investigating today. Wondering if that fall off the lift possibly jarred/jammed the gears.

Exhaust is too ******* loud tohear anything at all to pinppint the source.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Was the rebuild out of warranty? How come the “600hp” trans guy isn’t on the hook from the get go?

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Someone correct me if im wrong, but in a low pinion axle, when torque is applied, it pulls the pinion into the ring gear, correct???

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Continued massaging the body on the ol girl this past weekend in preparation for some restoring/reclearing of problem areas and to make me feel better about her ugly side! Most of Saturday afternoon/evening and part of sunday to get the passengers side to this point. Probably shooting some clear this coming weekend if work doesn't get in the way.

You must be registered for see images attach

RedBeard_83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom deluxe
Engine Size
Sbc 350
So earlier I said I thought the brakes were dragging after I completely replaced all my frontend parts and lowered it. They weren't. Then I thought maybe just maybe I had my wheel bearings too tight. So re did them. Chased this noise for 2 days now. And was on the phone earlier with @Vbb199 ( Vince ) and while on phone i decided to crawl under the truck. And that's when I found it. There was a bracket under there that was rubbing pretty badly against my driveshaft . my only guess is that its a bracket to mount a carrier bearing on . And when I lowered the rear the 4" it pushed drive shaft up against the bracket. So I cut that bish outta there and the noise is gone . so happy it was an easy fix. Truck has fought me pretty hard through the whole process so glad its over .

Poppy 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
Someone correct me if im wrong, but in a low pinion axle, when torque is applied, it pulls the pinion into the ring gear, correct???
I don't think that is correct. Short of an improperly set up differential, (pinion depth, pre-load, back lash) any "movement" would be negligible.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
I don't think that is correct. Short of an improperly set up differential, (pinion depth, pre-load, back lash) any "movement" would be negligible.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

I had that backwards anyways, coast side (low pinion) axles have R&P deflection, while drive side (HP) axles pull themselves closer.

Where i was going with this was, that incident with the truck falling off the lift may have jammed the rear gears really hard.
Edit: as i said the whine occured that night on the drive home .

Last edited:

CoggedBelt75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
During my away time I got several things done. One was on the truck. Because of poor planning when I redid the interior, I needed to make my windows electric again. The reason I went back to factory manual was because the motors were giving up on the conversion kits and didn’t feel like messing with them since it wasn’t a problem reaching the passenger crank handle across the bench seat. Now, with the console, it’s kinda impossible to do. A major PITA to get out to roll it up or down when needed. And the old, slow ones weren’t going back in.

I found pretty much the the same spal kit with a redesigned motor for 81 bucks. Lots of spare parts since it’s made to fit many different cars & trucks. They are smooth and fast now. Not a fan of the switch holders, but in time I won’t even notice them. Of course, the hole for the crank shaft is now there. They have caps to cover them up but didn’t what them on the outside of the panel. I had enough vinyl left over to recover. Wish I would’ve taken the time to fill in around the caps before I laid the vinyl down. Maybe down the road I’ll correct this. Wish I would’ve waited till my mind was more focused before I started this.

I’ve learnt before I go thru the trouble of installing something, to test everything first to make sure everything works. Then I try to put everything back in their bags after the trial run. Installation when well. Everything mounted solid on doors. Harness ran. Switch holders mounted on panels. 2 switches plugged in and popped into holder on driver’s side. But where’s the last switch. The bag was there, but empty. Spent most of the afternoon and into the evening looking for it. Decided to call it a day. Went in and sat down to retrace my steps in my head. Tina’s out in the garage looking for it. I was scratching my chest and…stupid. It’s in my shirt pocket. But wait, there’s more.

A new morning so needed to finish this up. Plugged the mysterious missing switch in and popped it into the holder. When back to other side for a final test run. All’s well. Last thing to do was put the arm pad on, screw on the door handle cup and put the door lock pushing thingie on.

Same on the other side, arm pad on… door handle cup, screw, door lock pushing thingie MISSING. I’ve had these off for one reason or another thru the years and always do the same thing each time…put the screw and thingie in the cup and lay it on the floor board. This one was actually pissing me off. I looked everywhere…the bed, under, over, glove box, behind seats, under seats, beside seats. Moved my work coat around to see if it got in or under it. Moved my stuff from work around to see if they got mixed in somehow. Thought I might have pushed it behind the kick panel when I slid it back into place. Emptied the trash barrel into a bigger bag piece by piece thinking it may have been stuck to the old vinyl. Go back in and look where I’ve been. Go back out and look again, like maybe it would somehow reappear. Finally went to bed.

A new day, a new search. Tina’s again looking to see if she can find it. We’re both looking in the same places, not sure why. Get on line trying to find one. They all had chrome trim so would have to change the other out. I don’t what chrome trim. Pretty riled up and knew I better give up and get my stuff ready for work. Took my coat and small ice chest in and while emptying the water out something rattled around. Mystery solved!! I can not for the life of me think why I would put them in the little compartment inside the lid. Kinda made me feel mad, released, stupid, and confused all at the same time. I showed a Tina the missing parts and all she did was shake her head. She knew how bad I was feeling and thankfully did add to it.

I’m getting too old for this **** but know I won’t stop.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
The way my morning started - died in the left turn lane.

Pretty sure I know why, Gawddammit.

Didn't have time to fark with it, so off to the mechanic who tells me he is not enamored of Borg Warner parts.

Got towed to the parking lot by very nice construction guys who refused my offer of $20.00.

There ARE nice people in the world, in this case Hispanic, but WGAF.

In fact , a black lady in a car during my time of crisis was talking about people helping one another- thought that was pretty cool.

If I had an Asian comment/help I'd of have the gamut covered...

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Weather has been lousy here for past 4 or 5 days. No work on it but, found what seems to be a pretty good Trans oil leak. Haven't looked at it yet but, that's the next problem to fix. I'm hoping it's a pan leak as I have new pan, filter and gasket to put on. Just put it on hold with the whole filter extension discussion.

Hope Weather gets better soon so I can do this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat