What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
The ******* whining has returned.

Im beginning to think the torque converter is just garbage.

Same condions as previously discussed, only whines in gear, while moving.

Makes absolutely no sense to me. Me and my transmission guy inspected the planetaries for excess thrust and side play, nothing wrong. I cannot for the life of me understand, i just know its REALLY pissing me off.
I got half a mind to stand in it until it explodes. Just get it over with. ******* piece of ****
I found the best remedy for whining is to tune it out and be rest assured future-you will take care of it!

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
I found the best remedy for whining is to tune it out and be rest assured future-you will take care of it!

The idea here was to have a very reliable squarebody, and be in the tiny minority of people who actually drive their square to the texas meeting in april, whatever that means, transmission destruction and rebuild or not.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
The ******* whining has returned.

Im beginning to think the torque converter is just garbage.

Same condions as previously discussed, only whines in gear, while moving.

Makes absolutely no sense to me. Me and my transmission guy inspected the planetaries for excess thrust and side play, nothing wrong. I cannot for the life of me understand, i just know its REALLY pissing me off.
I got half a mind to stand in it until it explodes. Just get it over with. ******* piece of ****

Wait... you pulled the trans, rebuilt the whole thing, and then reinstalled the OLD converter? The converter is usually the primary point of failure on a lot of these OD autos.. plus you will never get all the material out of the old one after a failure needing a rebuild.... do you not have a torque converter shop nearby? Getting a cut and rebuilt converter shouldn't be more than $100-150

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Wait... you pulled the trans, rebuilt the whole thing, and then reinstalled the OLD converter? The converter is usually the primary point of failure on a lot of these OD autos.. plus you will never get all the material out of the old one after a failure needing a rebuild.... do you not have a torque converter shop nearby? Getting a cut and rebuilt converter shouldn't be more than $100-150

The converter itself i purchased brand new from a local shop that builds then at the point of installing the "600hp" 700r4 back in october.
Its balanced, turned, all that ****. I refused to purchase some cheapass, out of balance oreilly TC.

Its not the original TC from 1989, neither is the transmission i installed in october.
I only reused it because there was no actual mechanical failure or shrapnel in the transmission.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Seen here, back in october.

You must be registered for see images attach

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
The converter itself i purchased brand new from a local shop that builds then at the point of installing the "600hp" 700r4 back in october.
Its balanced, turned, all that ****. I refused to purchase some cheapass, out of balance oreilly TC.

Its not the original TC from 1989, neither is the transmission i installed in october.
I only reused it because there was no actual mechanical failure or shrapnel in the transmission.

The problem is that you could have some rolled vanes, pump problems, or other issues in the TC that is causing your whine. I'd go to the local shop that did the converter and see what they say. There are people that charge a shitload for what equates to a factory rebuilt TC, I also wouldn't go to o'reillys or similar. Generally a "big power" TC would be billet, multiple plate clutch, anti-balloon, etc... most shops that do that kind of work will have a warranty on it as well and can at the very least inspect what you have.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Seen here, back in october.

Looks like a hughes unit? What's the part number?

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
In general, im growing increasingly tired of the whole ******* thing.

I *guess* i will pull it back out over the weekend, and CHECK IT AGAIN, and if i see nothing, im ******* throwing thise planetaries in the garbage and getting another 2 sets.

My final thrust measurement was correct, the stack was correct, no worn out torrington bearings, no case damage, i completely tore the pump down from the "600hp" 700r4 to find a used and abused pump rotor, and scoured pump housing, which i replaced, i meticulously went thru EVERYTHING, yet here i am getting ass ****** again with whining.

I hate this ****!!!!!!!!!

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Looks like a hughes unit? What's the part number?

Transmission is if unknown origins, from virginia.
tc is from carolina converters here in NC.

Its old retired GM guys that build them to high performance GM spec.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Before i completely lose my **** and plant improvised C4 in the transmission case, im going to jack up the rear end and rest it on jackstands and turn the truck on and let it go, see if i can identify the source of the noise.

I already did it without the driveshaft connected, and hear no noise, but that was obviously just in 1st gear, with no actual load on the transmission.

Everyone BUT me (wife, dad, transmission guy, friends) seems convinced the noise isnt from the transmission, and maybe they're right. The sound is coming from the front of the truck it seems.
Maybe im losing it, it DID after all occur after the truck fell off the lift while i was doing front end components, and that night on the ride home, the noise began.

Who knows?

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
In general, im growing increasingly tired of the whole ******* thing.

I *guess* i will pull it back out over the weekend, and CHECK IT AGAIN, and if i see nothing, im ******* throwing thise planetaries in the garbage and getting another 2 sets.

My final thrust measurement was correct, the stack was correct, no worn out torrington bearings, no case damage, i completely tore the pump down from the "600hp" 700r4 to find a used and abused pump rotor, and scoured pump housing, which i replaced, i meticulously went thru EVERYTHING, yet here i am getting ass ****** again with whining.

I hate this ****!!!!!!!!!

gear whine from the rear end resonating back up into the transmission?

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Transmission is if unknown origins, from virginia.
tc is from carolina converters here in NC.

Its old retired GM guys that build them to high performance GM spec.

They must be really retired... I couldn't find any internet presence at all:happy175: Not really surprising though, its amazing the shear number of small shops with old retired guys doing cool hotrod stuff. I do hope you got a warranty on that unit though. It does look suspiciously like a hughes performance converter job, which are well known and respected... they must have just found the same color of rustoleum paint in the hardware isle:shrug: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...xHPgA4Q4NZOKihc5Z-bJceYNEk7qefcwaAr4uEALw_wcB

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Before i completely lose my **** and plant improvised C4 in the transmission case, im going to jack up the rear end and rest it on jackstands and turn the truck on and let it go, see if i can identify the source of the noise.

I already did it without the driveshaft connected, and hear no noise, but that was obviously just in 1st gear, with no actual load on the transmission.

Everyone BUT me (wife, dad, transmission guy, friends) seems convinced the noise isnt from the transmission, and maybe they're right. The sound is coming from the front of the truck it seems.
Maybe im losing it, it DID after all occur after the truck fell off the lift while i was doing front end components, and that night on the ride home, the noise began.

Who knows?

Just quit breaking it and you'll be fine! Or, maybe it just needs the 5 ton axles:imo:

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
They must be really retired... I couldn't find any internet presence at all:happy175: Not really surprising though, its amazing the shear number of small shops with old retired guys doing cool hotrod stuff. I do hope you got a warranty on that unit though. It does look suspiciously like a hughes performance converter job, which are well known and respected... they must have just found the same color of rustoleum paint in the hardware isle:shrug: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...xHPgA4Q4NZOKihc5Z-bJceYNEk7qefcwaAr4uEALw_wcB

The local shop, poteats transmission service in kannapolis NC sells the converters.. or rather pushes them for various shops, including carolina converters.