What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Im seeing 22.5" in/hg at the front port of the tbi with a gauge, but 8" in/hg (27 kPa) from the map. I just replaced that also.
I know theres some variance in it related to sea level, but im not that far above or below it. I think like... 790 ft?

Im about 99% sure the vacuum line that taps off the back of the tbi for the map probably has damage. A pinhole, crack, something.
Or the map just isnt grounded correctly, while the trans was out i was able to stick my head in the tunnel and inspect the harness at the back of the motor, didn't see anything out of place or broken. So im to assume i just have a bad vacuum line for the map.

That tech guy you talked to on the ALDL page has screwed you up again man. That 27kpa is a correct, expected, reading from a MAP sensor for a vehicle that is idling at 20 in-hg on a gauge. The reason for that is that your gauge is taking a reading relative to the actual outside pressure, where the MAP sensor is reading the pressure relative to a perfect vacuum. If you look at the barometric pressure(absolute pressure) at your nearest local airport, you should be able to subtract your measured gauge vacuum from that barometric pressure and it will be very close to what the MAP sensor is reading. Generally it will be very close to 29.92 in/hg(that is considered the standard pressure). If you had a low-pressure system in the area when you did the datalog run, you could have had atmospheric pressure around 28 in-hg...

28in/hg - 20 in/hg = 8 in/hg ... which is what your MAP sensor was reading

The concerning thing when you and I were looking at the data was the ~40kpa as that is not an expected reading at idle and indicates a vacuum leak.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
ha! I guess I didn't scroll down enough and someone beat me to the absolute vs gauge thing

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
That tech guy you talked to on the ALDL page has screwed you up again man. That 27kpa is a correct, expected, reading from a MAP sensor for a vehicle that is idling at 20 in-hg on a gauge. The reason for that is that your gauge is taking a reading relative to the actual outside pressure, where the MAP sensor is reading the pressure relative to a perfect vacuum. If you look at the barometric pressure(absolute pressure) at your nearest local airport, you should be able to subtract your measured gauge vacuum from that barometric pressure and it will be very close to what the MAP sensor is reading. Generally it will be very close to 29.92 in/hg(that is considered the standard pressure). If you had a low-pressure system in the area when you did the datalog run, you could have had atmospheric pressure around 28 in-hg...

28in/hg - 20 in/hg = 8 in/hg ... which is what your MAP sensor was reading

The concerning thing when you and I were looking at the data was the ~40kpa as that is not an expected reading at idle and indicates a vacuum leak.

You're right. Im looking at my log file now.
Before that hard acceleration i logged , it was running at 44-46 just idling with my foot on the brake.

Thats.... 16 in/hg ?
Good call @Bextreme04 , i got all caught up in the trans BS and forgot about some of this.
Motor is no doubt healthy generating the 22" im getting from map and gauge... but im having an intermittent higher vacuum.....

85 CA SIERRA 1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
TRACEY
Truck Year
Truck Model
SIERRA CLASSIC
Engine Size
I bought my rig about a year ago, it only had 34,000 original miles on it so it was in fairly good mechanical running condition when I bought it, but it the previous owner let it sit for several years before I bought it. I put in a new water pump, starter, battery, tires, thermostat, thermostat housing, PCV valve, O2 sensor, temperature sender/sensor. It is running amazing at this point and I drive it about every other day.

Next on deck is dealing with some interior issues. The interior was almost perfect when I bought it, but years of sitting outside in the summer heat, the fabric on the seat broke down and became very fragile on the front driver and passenger seat. I need to figure out if i'm going to get these existing seats redone or if I'm going to buy a new seats, I like the ones it has in it so I'm leaning towards getting these re-upholstered. I also need to deal with the cracked windshield, cracked dash, non-operating radio, and addressing the strong blowing, non-cold, AC.

You must be registered for see images attach

I really like your seat a whole lot better than the bench that is in my truck, I have been wanting to put in buckets with a console/middle seat for when the girlfriend and I want to take the dog with us. We like to take her German Shepherd with us alot and that is the only reason that I have kept the worn out old bench seat.
Was this an OEM option?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Got truck unstuck, checked oil, cleaned **** off seat so it stops making a mess everytime something falls off it, pluged electrical connector back into the clutch safety switch because it hung down low and i kicked off clutching. supported wiring up.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Got truck unstuck, checked oil, cleaned **** off seat so it stops making a mess everytime something falls off it, pluged electrical connector back into the clutch safety switch because it hung down low and i kicked off clutching. supported wiring up.

Stuck ?

Missed that.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Stuck ?

Missed that.
I've been.. er... Away recently and we had a couple snow storms so I dug the tire tracks out and put chain down in front of rear wheels and rocked up on the chain and was able to get out. The trailer attached made it hard because it's not hardly 100 pounds on the tongue but prob 1000 or so pounds behind the truck with fat tires

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Stuck ?

Missed that.
A family member also choose a poor spot to park it and also the neighbor plowed in a way there was a bank In front. It wasnt terribly hard to unstuck but it was labororous because I have some health stuff and it made me pooped quick

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
A family member also choose a poor spot to park it and also the neighbor plowed in a way there was a bank In front. It wasnt terribly hard to unstuck but it was labororous because I have some health stuff and it made me pooped quick

Well, sorry to hear about the health issues, and glad you got it - and the trailer - out!

:)

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350

Looks like she's seen better days, but some good better days

Brett77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
502 stroker
If you mean outside of the tank yes provided with Sniper kit

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Got the trans back in and done.
Firing it up occasionally, i would add fluid, then cycle the shifter thru each gear... initally, forward abd reverse worked, but were slow on applying. (Low fluid)

Then.... all gears were forward... i thought to myself WTF.

Then thinking on it, i guessed that the assembly grease i used to hold the checkballs in place probably had'nt freed up yet...

Got more fluid, added 4 more quarts, fired it up again, and after cycling the shifter some more, the checkball came free, and i had normal gears again... took it for a spin, all gears work, shifts nice and firm, im satisfied, i just added too much fluid and it pissed out the excess and coated the exhaust and rear end.

Now parked, drip drying while i wipe it down.

The ******* whining has returned.

Im beginning to think the torque converter is just garbage.

Same condions as previously discussed, only whines in gear, while moving.

Makes absolutely no sense to me. Me and my transmission guy inspected the planetaries for excess thrust and side play, nothing wrong. I cannot for the life of me understand, i just know its REALLY pissing me off.
I got half a mind to stand in it until it explodes. Just get it over with. ******* piece of ****

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
One morning I woke up for school got ready then heard a engine trying to start. Looked out the window and it was the neighbor across the street trying to start his Ford f150. It fired up and he floored.it and held it there until smoke was pouring from under the hood then it died. That was the end of it. Lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg