1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

89 suburban r1500 wannabe DD.

Discussion in '2wd Suburban, Blazer and Jimmy' started by Vbb199, Feb 2, 2020.

1. Vbb199

Vbb199 B-rate Hillbilly Customs Supporting Member

First Name:
    Vince
    Truck Year:
    91, 89, 87
    Truck Model:
    91 Blazer V1500- "K5ton", 87 K10 Suburban, 89 Suburban R1500
    Engine Size:
    502, 350, 350
    So I've made alot of posts here and there about my 89 burb that I got.
    But I wanted to kinda collect them all here maybe, because this is an ongoing project.

So the story to new listeners:

My dad bought the truck when it was but a few years old back in the day. I grew up in the back seat of it up until 2014 when he parked it and let it sit.

I got it last year in 2019 as my birthday present, I had been harassing him TO DEATH to let me have it, he finally came off of it.

It's a 1989 R1500 suburban, fully optioned, power everything, 3rd row seat, rear AC And heat, was originally a tailgate truck but dad converted it to barn doors.
    Factory towing kit, trans and oil cooler, 3.42 rear gear with posi, hitch, bigger drums.

700r4 in it has a shift kit, it kicks pretty hard.

Dad replaced the old stock 350 after it blew a head gasket with a brand new HO350.
    Makes 333hp/385 ft lbs.
    That motor now has 20k miles on it.
    He said back in the day, even with a unmolested tbi he just slapped back on, he could stomp it from a dead stop and boil the tires.

I got the truck from him, and of course, it would not crank, I bought a brand new battery, still no good. Truck stunk of rat piss

New fuel filter and took a portable compressor and blew the lines out, still no spray.

Ended up doing a Jerry rigged tbi overhaul where it sat and cleaned the injectors out with carb cleaner, and that with brand new gas and sea foam, she finally came to life!

Truck was running poorly, pass side caliper grabbed, truck wouldn't downshift worth a shit, idle was rough, truck had no power.

Drove the truck around a little to let it stretch its feet, but ended up parking it in the front yard.

Little later, I did all new iginiton on it, new cap, rotor, plugs, coil, and plug wires.

Little later after that, I did new oil and oil filter, new trans filter and fluid.

Truck faired OK, but still acted up.
    Then truck wouldn't run anymore, I ended up replacing the fuel pump and it faired OK.

Later on I replaced front caliper, and brakes.

Later on I do a tbi overhaul, new IAC, went thru the cycle to relearn the IAC position, truck did pretty good.
    Idled like ass, and exhaust stunk of old stinky 5 year old gas, but just running up the driveway, it would spin the tires just above idle. So it definitely brought a new life to it but it still wasn't right.

I traded some squarebody parts for 5 brand new 31x10.5x15 A/T tires somewhere in here, which is excellent.

Today I decided go do brakes.... Removed the master cylinder (it was faulty)
    Took low compressed air, and 1 at a time, blew out each wheel and purged the old varnished brake fluid.

Drivers front was fine.
    Passenger front didn't purge
    Passenger rear purged
    Drivers rear didn't purge.

I removed the hard line from the drivers rear, and the fluid purged, so I replaced the wheel cylinder, and of course, the bolts were stuck, one of them came off, the others head stripped right off, so I drilled it out from the other side, weakened the casting of the cylinder, and knocked it off with a hammer.
    Replaced that with a new cylinder and it purged.

Pass side front needed a new brake line and caliper.

Fluid purges at all 4 corners now.

I bought new brake shoes, and new hardware and did new shoes and hardware on the truck.

Drivers front brake rotor was badly scoured were PO (My dad ) didn't replace the brakes and let the backing plate dig in.
    I bought a new rotor assembly and new bearings, replaced that.

I installed the new master cylinder as well.

Truck now sits waiting and ready to pour in new brake fluid, and bleed the brakes.
    Hopefully afterwards she'll stop like a new truck. (maybe)

There's alot more pictures, but here's a few to kinda give everyone a starter on a time line.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  2. Vbb199

First Name:
    Vince
    Truck Year:
    91, 89, 87
    Truck Model:
    Engine Size:
    502, 350, 350
    2 more pics I happened to find.
    1: my excitiment after fighting stuck gas tank straps and wrestling a gas tank out.
    2. I plan to do cab lights sometime, I just need to get a template off my parts truck and make it happen. [​IMG][​IMG]

DoubleDingo likes this.
  3. Vbb199

First Name:
    Vince
    Truck Year:
    91, 89, 87
    Truck Model:
    Engine Size:
    502, 350, 350
    My goals for this truck are as follows

A decent tow rig for when my s10 SAS is done, because I want to trailer the s10 to trails and such.

Eventually a 3/4 Ton 4x4 conversion

A reliable DD (she used to travel from Maine to NC and all over the Eastern seaboard in her hayday)

Cab lights

Something my kids can have the pleasure of growing up in the back seat of, just as I did.

I may consider pulling the 700r4 at some point and doing a top to bottom overhaul.

Sometime I might put a little stiffer springs in the rear for towing.

Eventually I may step up to something like a 4l80e behind the engine just so I can haul more.

DoubleDingo likes this.
  4. idahovette

idahovette Full Access Member

First Name:
    Perry
    Truck Year:
    1975-1979
    Truck Model:
    K20-K10
    Engine Size:
    Boy, Vince. That's gonna take a lot of Miller!!!!!!

Vbb199 likes this.
  5. Vbb199

First Name:
    Vince
    Truck Year:
    91, 89, 87
    Truck Model:
    Engine Size:
    502, 350, 350
    I got a little too carried away last night with celebration and drank all of my Miller, then drank all of the misses yeungling on top of that.... Bleh. I hugged the porcelain throne I'm sad to say. And that never happens lol

6. idahovette

idahovette Full Access Member

First Name:
    Perry
    Truck Year:
    1975-1979
    Truck Model:
    K20-K10
    Engine Size:
    super BOWL!!! LOL!

1987 GMC Jimmy and Vbb199 like this.
  7. Vbb199

First Name:
    Vince
    Truck Year:
    91, 89, 87
    Truck Model:
    Engine Size:
    502, 350, 350
    Hopefully this week I can get back at this suburban and move onto the next step, getting the old gas out of the tank and having it boiled out

8. shanegtr

shanegtr Full Access Member

First Name:
    Shane
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    R2500 Suburban
    Engine Size:
    looks cool, following the thread with interest

Vbb199 likes this.
  9. Vbb199

First Name:
    Vince
    Truck Year:
    91, 89, 87
    Truck Model:
    Engine Size:
    502, 350, 350
    So while I'm waiting on the misses waiting on it to get warmer outside (it's like 40° here, not that bad ) , I figured I'd take the gas tank out again to purge all the old shitty gas out to eliminate any other engine performance and idle issues.

[​IMG]

10. Vbb199

First Name:
    Vince
    Truck Year:
    91, 89, 87
    Truck Model:
    Engine Size:
    502, 350, 350
    Today I finished up getting the 7 gallons of old gas out, added 10 gallons of fresh 93 octane, I finished up doing the brakes and did the passenger side drum brake, added fresh new brake fluid, had the misses help me bleed out the brakes.... Fired her up, she came to life like never before after it burned off the last bit of old gas in the lines.... Idling at 1500
    But that's due to me setting the idle initially with old shitty gas.... So I went thru the cycle again, reset the IAC with the engine HOT, set the idle manually to what sounds like 8-900, truck runs GREAT!
    Took it around the property some, brakes do good, if I STAND on them they lock up like they should, otherwise just normal brake pressure stops the truck.
    And sure enough... I took it out on my cousin black top, stomped the gas, and it boiled the tires.... Man.... She's running like a champ... Just at low speeds if I don't stomp it, it kinda whips you around a little....

Next step, get it street legal!!!

Edit: gave her a bath
    [​IMG]

Woodman77, Craig 85 and bucket like this.
  11. Vbb199

First Name:
    Vince
    Truck Year:
    91, 89, 87
    Truck Model:
    Engine Size:
    502, 350, 350
    Got the old burb street legal, been driving it a few days.
    I bought all the needed bulbs for the interior because I only had the dome light, truck drifts to the right, I see a toe in problem too.
    Back brakes still aren't getting pressure, but I feel it's only because the drums are out of adjustment and the mechanical arm inside isn't spinning the star wheel, because I tried the slamming brakes in reverse with no luck, but I'm getting good pressure to the drums when I bleed.
    Headliner is sagging all over the place, so I'll have to tuck it back in under the trim, Heat/AC switch is stuck in place, blower motor wasn't working until I hit a good bump on the way home (I guess the exterior box plug is loose), it does need instrument panel lights several are burned out , and needs vacuumed and carpet scrubbed.

I will say, with that HO350's torque curve, the 3.42s and 31's, it gets up to 55 in seconds. Very impressive.

12. bucket

bucket Super Moderator Staff Member

First Name:
    Andy
    Truck Year:
    '77, '78, '79, '84, '88
    Truck Model:
    K5 thru K30
    Engine Size:
    350-454
    You can spin that star wheel manually to get your rear brakes working. And if the adjusters aren't seized, you can even adjust the brakes without having to remove the wheels. There are access slots on the backing plates. If it's never been done before, the knock-outs still might be covering the access slots.

13. Vbb199

First Name:
    Vince
    Truck Year:
    91, 89, 87
    Truck Model:
    Engine Size:
    502, 350, 350
    I did all new drum brakes, springs and all, but I adjusted the star wheel by hand too far in.

14. Vbb199

First Name:
    Vince
    Truck Year:
    91, 89, 87
    Truck Model:
    Engine Size:
    502, 350, 350
    Pulled the drums off, took a quick measurement to see how far off we were, the drivers side was 1/2" out of adjustment, the passenger side was about 3/8" out of adjustment.

After spinning the wheel a good bit and having the shoes lightly touch the drums, then going in reverse and slamming the brakes, now I have EXCELLENT brakes in the suburban.

So that's good.

I fixed the heat/AC switch that was stuck, and also have all the interior lights working (the only ones that worked was the very back dome light and the speedo light)

I also tucked the saggy headliner back under the trim, so we're set there.

Rear heat only works in high mode, it is disconnected from the coolant lines as well (anyone know why the rear heat only works in high mode?)

I flipped the rear AC, compressor sounds like it's got a dead rat stuck in the blower motor
    I don't know that for sure, But the common theme here in this truck is rat piss, rats nests, and rat turds.

I have a complete rear AC in my parts burb I can rob from to get mine working.

But it too only works in high mode, again any suggestions?

DoubleDingo likes this.
  15. mcarlo86

mcarlo86 Supporting Member Supporting Member

First Name:
    Brian
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Suburban
    Engine Size:
    Have you checked the blower fan resistors? I believe if the resistors go bad, the fan may only blow in high....could be the switch too?