What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
That was a FRAM filter.
I hear about this all the time and see people reposting pics like this but this is the first forum where I have ever seen the supposed exploded fram filter.

Many folks say the walmart e cage supertech filters do it cause of the plastic internal baffle, but I have never actually seen one or pics of an exploded one. Just a side note.

Madhorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.3/NV4500/NP205/4:56 gear/35in tires
I hear about this all the time and see people reposting pics like this but this is the first forum where I have ever seen the supposed exploded fram filter.

Many folks say the walmart e cage supertech filters do it cause of the plastic internal baffle, but I have never actually seen one or pics of an exploded one. Just a side note.
It was FRAMs XG series filter. Supposed to be their better filter.

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
I didn't do it but new exhaust finally!

You must be registered for see images attach

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
It was FRAMs XG series filter. Supposed to be their better filter.
Yea even the fram haters say that's a decent filter.

This makes me worry about the (orange fram) one on my Highlander now. I don't normally use them and try to avoid them. Not really been afraid of them but there is better filters for the same or less money. I had these for running them on lawnmowers and my Toyotas use the same filters as the do, and I didn't have one for my Highlander so I used what I had.

That said I have use to use fram almost exclusively in the 90s and early 00s and put tens of thousands of miles on them. I liked the grippy.

Last edited:

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Replaced the seals and guide felts on the passenger door last night. Took a bit longer than expected because the old felt was rusted in to the channel on the frontside of the window. About an hour of scraping and wiping to get it clean again and install the new felt...

Then the motor that was already slow with 33 year old seals doesn't like to go up and down without assistance anymore. Time for a new window motor on the passenger side it seems...

Going to do the driver side tonight. Watched a video on the back seal. Ho boy that doesn't look fun. Time to order some new window working tools from Amazon.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size

I have to say ive never had issue with fram, i always use them. I actually just bought one for my s10 oil change today.

John Nes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1987, 1979, 1973
Truck Model
R10, Sierra, C20
Engine Size
5.7 350tbi , 5.7 350, 5.7 350
Replaced the seals and guide felts on the passenger door last night. Took a bit longer than expected because the old felt was rusted in to the channel on the frontside of the window. About an hour of scraping and wiping to get it clean again and install the new felt...

Then the motor that was already slow with 33 year old seals doesn't like to go up and down without assistance anymore. Time for a new window motor on the passenger side it seems...

Going to do the driver side tonight. Watched a video on the back seal. Ho boy that doesn't look fun. Time to order some new window working tools from Amazon.
Having done this a few times, best advice I can offer is using some glass cleaner spray-foam to help lubricate the channel runs to accept the felts. By rear seal, is that the rear channel run for the glass ? If so, it’s way easier if you remove the guides lower bolt and loosen the guides top bolt on the jamb.

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Having done this a few times, best advice I can offer is using some glass cleaner spray-foam to help lubricate the channel runs to accept the felts. By rear seal, is that the rear channel run for the glass ? If so, it’s way easier if you remove the guides lower bolt and loosen the guides top bolt on the jamb.

I saw a video recommend spray detailer and it seemed to work pretty good so far. On the rear I meant the rear window seals, I bought a kit that had both doors and windows and didn't realize it involved removing the rear window as well >.<

John Nes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1987, 1979, 1973
Truck Model
R10, Sierra, C20
Engine Size
5.7 350tbi , 5.7 350, 5.7 350
Ah gotcha. I too need to swap out the motor in mine and have been putting it off cause it’s such a pain dealing with all that

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I'm partially color blind and can see colors but didn't find out till a few years ago after years of marriage and my wife saying I had messed up color vision. I see colors but shades sometimes are different and I see more colors as a different colors, like teals that are combos of two colors like blue and green.
I didn’t know I was “colorblind” until they gave me an Ishihara dot test at MEPs. Didn’t see many numbers pop out. Weird thing is I can distinguish colors accurately in real world applications. I have a buddy I work with that’s always screwing up color coded wiring. He’s seriously deficient. I have to come in and fix his wiring faux pas regularly.

Poppy 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
I didn’t know I was “colorblind” until they gave me an Ishihara dot test at MEPs. Didn’t see many numbers pop out. Weird thing is I can distinguish colors accurately in real world applications. I have a buddy I work with that’s always screwing up color coded wiring. He’s seriously deficient. I have to come in and fix his wiring faux pas regularly.
All the talk of being color blind, weren't you guys tested? I'm 55 and we had testing for that in elementary school, guess that was early 1970's. I grew up in Minnesota

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
All the talk of being color blind, weren't you guys tested? I'm 55 and we had testing for that in elementary school, guess that was early 1970's. I grew up in Minnesota

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Maybe I missed that day. I stayed home for foaling, calving or just random fishing trips more often than some.

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
Changed the oil and filter used a Wix XP filter and Schaeffer's OTR Plus 10W-30.
I am currently replacing the vacuum advance in the distributor and going to set the timing and see if power and economy with improve.

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
Yeah peeps for that reason i don't run fram garbage on anything i will tell you good filters to run in a SBC.
Wix
Baldwin
Hastings

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1