What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Take the transmission out first let the convertor hang on the flex plate. N b d. Been there done that more than once.

You just reminded me of one of my funniest memories. It was an 80's FWD Chrysler product (don't remember what model anymore) with the same 4 cyl they used in pretty much everything. Anyway, it had a terrible rod knock. I was moving it under it's own power, into the shop so it could receive a junkyard engine. It was cold outside and we were trying to save shop heat, so I was delayed slightly while a coworker pulled another car out of the bay. As the engine drew it's last few breaths of air, it went something like this: knock, knock, knock, knock, knock, knock, knock, CLANG... silence. I then thought to myself, "well this job just got a little more difficult".

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
thought they were grooved/slotted due to the constant turning and feeling for the 3rd clunk. So the sh|t will just pull out?
The engine on my corvette was locked up when i got it. I pulled the engine and torque converter out together, left the trans in place.
Remove converter after engine is out and on the stand. No harm done, just reinstall the converter once off.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Solved posts 465-470

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
after the plowing got done and the snow blowing, I got the throttle body re installed on the truck- fingers crossed it works, no spare parts in the rebuild kit so i hope all is gonna be good. The new throttle cable was kinda stubborn but I won! start up will be tomorrow!

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
The engine on my corvette was locked up when i got it. I pulled the engine and torque converter out together, left the trans in place.
Remove converter after engine is out and on the stand. No harm done, just reinstall the converter once off.
That was the plan.....but was worried about the trans.

The line I had on an engine, also had a trans. So I got the full engine, harness and all, and the trans. He was into guns as well, so we swapped. Only cost me a glock 23 and a cheap 450 bushmaster....and he delivers the combo tomorrow.

Fair trade for this area.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
That was the plan.....but was worried about the trans.

The line I had on an engine, also had a trans. So I got the full engine, harness and all, and the trans. He was into guns as well, so we swapped. Only cost me a glock 23 and a cheap 450 bushmaster....and he delivers the combo tomorrow.

Fair trade for this area.
Nice deal.

Ive been looking for a glock 23.

justhorns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Found a transformer under my truck..

Attachments

• transformer.jpeg
    transformer.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 64

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
well the start up with the rebuilt throttle body is on hold while I clean up this bunch of new snow from yesterday! maybe tomorrow!!

justhorns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Short version- I did a front brake job, and all the (3) hoses..

Long version- 1981 C10 6 cylinder, approximately 80,000 miles. Fullly documented service records since new (in its carfax), no mention of brakes ever. All brakes look good front and rear except for glazed rotors. Hoses look like they are starting to crack.

Rotors were very rustly and glazed. Brake squeek at times under heavy braking. Pads were good, but, its time.

Ordered parts from Napa. They said… these fit your truck.. Wrong. What they gave me did not fit. Rotors were 1.25” thick, orginals were.. 1.00”

Later found out inner wheel bearings were wrong also. Too big. Took 2 days to get parts straightened out.

Brake replacement, new bearings, lots of red grease (on me and the bearings) all went fine.

Hoses were almost correct. The holder brackets not properly located. They were installed.

Problem. One brake hose (RF) where it passed through frame was in-accesible. The fuel line was right next to it, and almost wrapped around it. It was so close to the fuel line that I could not get a flare wrench on it. Someone was on drugs when they routed this fuel line. It wrapped around itself inside the frame rail where the brake hose was, preventing access with most wrenches. I stripped the head off the brake line fitting.. damn. So, OK, replace the hard line. It added about 3 hours of work to get old hose out and new hoses and fabbed new hard line in. The other side took 5 minutes.. It was easy to get at…

Rear hose replacement also too 10 minutes, most of the time working out the correct wrenches. 16MM on one side, ⅜” on the other. I love mixed metric/SAE on these generation of GM trucks. (one of the new calipers had a 10MM bleeder, the other was ⅜!)

Bleeding was easy with the truck on the lift. Used gravity bleeding first, followed by vacuum bleeding. First attempt bleeding at each wheel was sufficient. Ahh. All new fluid front to back…

But. Really, this brake job was not needed. I think there was enough meat on these rotors to cut them once more would have fixed the squeak. Yes, I needed the new hoses and fluid, but everything else was fine..

4 or five days work for a simple brake job (thanks NAPA and chevys fuel line designer). $425 in parts (I know Icould have got better/cheaper but, getting the correct parts can be challenging. That’s why I chose the local supplier. I worked at NAPA for a few years, and they just do not stock what they used to for older vehicles. The warehouse at “my” store was chock full of brake rotors.. Now, about half of those shelves have other parts. Funny, the brake pad section has grown..??

I also addressed a leaking gearbox and anything else I could find to fettle underneath. Reinstalled the spare tire carrier and spare tire. Got it out of the bed. Truck is about to go outside for the winter.. Amazon is delivering new wipers today.

OK. Done.. Drives nice. No sqeak, No pull, nice hard pedal. We live RIGHT next to the Rockies, I took a drive with the dog up there. Smily face.

Thats what I did on my square this week.
Oh, and check out my great new way of putting my wheels on!

Attachments

• Library - 1 of 4 (1).jpeg
    Library - 1 of 4 (1).jpeg
    164 KB · Views: 45
  • Library - 3 of 4 (1).jpeg
    Library - 3 of 4 (1).jpeg
    125.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Library - 4 of 4 (1).jpeg
    Library - 4 of 4 (1).jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 49

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
More engineering on the shift indicator tonight.

Never think to take pics while I am in there, either.

But, this will give you an idea of my thoughts.

Bent up some plumbers strap thinking it would hold itself in the broken spot of the shift bowl.

Great idea, it is a little too thick and jams against the plastic wire loom cover in the column.

So, I took a straight piece, bent it to match the bowl curve, and turned the ends in slightly to bite in the bowl plastic.

The screw for the indicator clip plus some Gorilla tape is holding the strap in place for now.

Next attempt will be hot gluing the strap in place as I was running out of daylight tonight.

Attachments

• 20221211_181429.jpg
    20221211_181429.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 20221211_181445.jpg
    20221211_181445.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 36

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Started the deconstruction on my K20 today. Got as far as getting the core support almost out before i quite.
Also went out shopping in parking lot, and gathered all the parts I need for the rebuild. Best doors, best fenders, best hood, best core support, etc. Got the intake with slots cut for the tbi pattern, new HEI, feul pump, pushrod, block off plate and some other things.
You must be registered for see images attach

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Got a bit done on the K20. Got all the ugly stripped off, and ready for new parts, except the doors.

Also cleaned up the engine. I removed the air pump, air tubes, EGR system, AC pump, condenser, cannister, lines, and brackets off the engine.

Found sometbing that really bummed me out. Cant put a mechanical pump on it. Was really expecting it to still have the hole and the block off plate for 87. Guess not.

Had to put the new hood on temporarily becase it started snowing.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Got a bit done on the K20. Got all the ugly stripped off, and ready for new parts, except the doors.

Also cleaned up the engine. I removed the air pump, air tubes, EGR system, AC pump, condenser, cannister, lines, and brackets off the engine.

Found sometbing that really bummed me out. Cant put a mechanical pump on it. Was really expecting it to still have the hole and the block off plate for 87. Guess not.

Had to put the new hood on temporarily becase it started snowing.
That blows!!!! I hope that dont happen to me with the motor im waiting on putting in!

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
That blows!!!! I hope that dont happen to me with the motor im waiting on putting in!
Yeah i hope not. I was fully expecting this engine to have it. By all my reseach done, 87 into early 90s shouldve had it. So either this is a newer late TBI or vortec block, or my research was wrong.
No im gonna have to either fix the TBI or make an electric fuel pump work with a carb.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
black_85c10