What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
Got my aluminum hoop steps installed, cold day on the Boulder! Thinking tomorrow will be a good day to fire up and move outside so I can get to work on the head liner.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Yeah i hope not. I was fully expecting this engine to have it. By all my reseach done, 87 into early 90s shouldve had it. So either this is a newer late TBI or vortec block, or my research was wrong.
No im gonna have to either fix the TBI or make an electric fuel pump work with a carb.
I have to disagree with your research on this one. My '87 has its original TBI 350 and it is almost exactly like your pic. No option for the mechanical fuel pump. I do have more bolt holes than your pic shows.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
spent time working on replacing the ls 5.3 that locked up. A few steps tomorrow and the old is ready to come out. I'll be working on it while listening to NFL Redzone. If I don't dork around or freeze, it'll be out tomorrow.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
I have to disagree with your research on this one. My '87 has its original TBI 350 and it is almost exactly like your pic. No option for the mechanical fuel pump. I do have more bolt holes than your pic shows.
Hmm, interesting. Its weird that 87 wouldn't have it, but my 92 burb, 93 burb, and 94 yukon all have the whole and block off plate, but this one doesnt.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I think wrote about this in the homemade tools thread.Also showed the tools for drilling the block. There wasn't a defined cut off date,kinda luck of the draw. To use your tbi pump you need to buy or make a bypass regulator.

Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Went to auto part store and bought two wheel chocks for the rear, for when I jack up the front end. I asked the front associate if they carried them and they asked “What’s the Year make and model?”.. I nearly just walked out
I used to work at an O'Reillys part time it was on the way home from the shop,I was single,so I figured way not pick up some extra cash. Some of the things that some of the employees would ask people or tell people was a Crack up. And when I'd cut drums or rotors,clock an alternator,or surface a flywheel they'd freak out,one guy kept telling me ,your going to eff one of those up someday. It's amazing the deference in skill set between mom and pop vs.big box.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
I used to work at an O'Reillys part time it was on the way home from the shop,I was single,so I figured way not pick up some extra cash. Some of the things that some of the employees would ask people or tell people was a Crack up. And when I'd cut drums or rotors,clock an alternator,or surface a flywheel they'd freak out,one guy kept telling me ,your going to eff one of those up someday. It's amazing the deference in skill set between mom and pop vs.big box.
When I was in college, I tried to get on at every parts store in town for some extra cash. None of them would hire me and I finally asked on of the guys I interviewed with why, he shrugged and said "I wish I could, but they've given us explicit instructions to not hire anyone who doesn't have computer system experience". Regardless of my knowledge and experience, they wouldn't give me the time of day just cuz I'd never worked a job using a computer at that point.

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
When I was in college, I tried to get on at every parts store in town for some extra cash. None of them would hire me and I finally asked on of the guys I interviewed with why, he shrugged and said "I wish I could, but they've given us explicit instructions to not hire anyone who doesn't have computer system experience". Regardless of my knowledge and experience, they wouldn't give me the time of day just cuz I'd never worked a job using a computer at that point.
That's a shame. It sure was nice when Auto Parts stores, as well as various Supply Houses, had experienced men in whatever trade the store was supplying for, that maybe had just got too old to still do the work.

A Motorcycle Shop here in town had the best parts man I ever dealt with. One day I went in there, and he had been replaced with a kid that only had little experience at a John Deere parts counter. He wasn't even into bikes, didn't know his ass from a whole in the ground, but he was familiar with the shop's new computer program.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
That's a shame. It sure was nice when Auto Parts stores, as well as various Supply Houses, had experienced men in whatever trade the store was supplying for, that maybe had just got too old to still do the work.

A Motorcycle Shop here in town had the best parts man I ever dealt with. One day I went in there, and he had been replaced with a kid that only had little experience at a John Deere parts counter. He wasn't even into bikes, didn't know his ass from a whole in the ground, but he was familiar with the shop's new computer program.
It really is sad, they could at least keep him on for reference and help. We had a similar situation here a few years back, we only had 1 chain store (Oriellys) that had a good car guy in there. Me and my dad and friends would only go there and now he's gone for the very same reason. The manager told us that he had to let him go because he couldn't learn the new system. So now we drive to the next town over to the old school Napa we found over there, they're still stuck in the '70s and have been family run the whole time. I'll keep going there till they get bought out (hopefully never).

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Just a quick time lapse video- putting in the fuel pump while trying to stay warm in these unseasonably cold temps.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

59840Surfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
350 Stroker to 383 with a 400 crank, Crane Cam, Q-Jet, single 3.5" exhaust..
I got the headliner out of the truck for repair,repaint the trim plastic and new dome light set up. anyone done any upgrades to their dome light??
I converted all my interior lights to 3" LED lightbars. I'm old and I wanna see what's inside the vehicle more than I wanna look cool.

Cool for my 2005 Chevy Trail Blazer, with blue interior LEDs and morgue-black rear windows.

59840Surfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
350 Stroker to 383 with a 400 crank, Crane Cam, Q-Jet, single 3.5" exhaust..
It really is sad, they could at least keep him on for reference and help. We had a similar situation here a few years back, we only had 1 chain store (Oriellys) that had a good car guy in there. Me and my dad and friends would only go there and now he's gone for the very same reason. The manager told us that he had to let him go because he couldn't learn the new system. So now we drive to the next town over to the old school Napa we found over there, they're still stuck in the '70s and have been family run the whole time. I'll keep going there till they get bought out (hopefully never).
There was a woman in Garden Grove, CA with the whole ARA catalog in her head --- and the whole store's inventory too.

She knew any and all possible interchanges for one part to another --- especially for an obsolete system. She was super.

They fired her because she refused to put everything she knew on computer.

I KNOW for a fact that they went out of business in a few months with the mechanics who NEEDED her still phoning in -- for a while anyway.

Once you lose cred like that, you take years to rebuild trust and faith in your company.

Bean counters should have their knees capped.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Take the transmission out first let the convertor hang on the flex plate. N b d. Been there done that more than once.
Thanks Ricko, was definatly a learning experience since I took engine/trans/transfer case out all at once. Keep the x-y-z axis straight and it'll come out. About 45 minutes an they were separated.

Turns out it is the engine that is locked up. Wasn't sure if there was a scenario where the front end of the trans could lock up the engine.

Next question is, with the engine locking up, is there any damage to the trans?

Thanks Again Dude

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
The engine on my corvette was locked up when i got it. I pulled the engine and torque converter out together, left the trans in place.
Remove converter after engine is out and on the stand. No harm done, just reinstall the converter once off.
was the trans fine?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joseph916