VIN number discrepency on my frankenstein c10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
C10 long bed (Frankenstein truck)
Engine Size
About a month ago, I bought a used C10.. Listed as a 73 chevy C10 with clean title...

Now, that I have the dash all taken apart and the VIN on the dash metal in the cab revealed, it is different than what the truck is registered as.. The truck is registered as a 73 chevy c10 fleet side long bed, but the VIN says the cab is from a 79 1 ton cab and chassis only...

So this explains why I'm finding non conformity between the cab and all documents I'm trying to use on it...

I guess I can start looking at 79 chevy c30 docs too, to help me get through the process of restoration..

Are there any legal consequences to having discrepancies in the numbers?

Does it really matter on these old trucks?

I bought this truck because of it's being a pre 76 truck (no smog), and I plan for it to stay that way....

advice, experience?

Thanks,
Mark
:cheers:

Last edited:

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
The weird thing is, that the stamped number on the tag inside the cab at the door matches the registration/pink slip... The rivets holding it look old, while the rivets holding the stamped tag on the dash don't look as old.. Of course the one on the dash would be exposed to less moisture than the one on the cab door frame...

Hmmmm....

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
More than likely the DMV entered the wrong year on the title and it was never caught is my guess.

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
More than likely the DMV entered the wrong year on the title and it was never caught is my guess.

No, the VIN on the title/door post are for a 73.. the VIN on the dash is for a 79..

the issue is two different VINs on the truck cab itself...

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Sounds like a dash swap. I'd just put a 1973-78 dash pad on it and leave it be myself.

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I am fairly certain that the VIN on the frame has the final say / carries the most weight.
Pretty sure it is stamped near the gas tank?
That will determine the VIN according to the DMV and should be the number used for official papers.
Hope this helps!

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
California registration is based on the frame, not the cab. It sounds like someone cab swapped the truck and added the 73 VIN to the door jamb or they just added a 73 vin to a 79 truck. What do the rivets look like on the jamb? Are they standard rivets or the correct rosette style?

The dilemma you run into is the frame a 73 or a 79. There is a hidden VIN on the top of the frame under the cab. I don't recall which side, but I have read it here on the forum. It would tell you the correct year. CHP can do a VIN verification, but it creates a HUGE can of worms if the truck turns out to be a 79.

I looked at some of your photos. There are several things that make me lean to the fact its a 79. The front grill/head light surrounds are 79, the dash bezel and door panels are 79. Its not to say those were not swapped out at some point. I've never had a 73-75, truck so I don't know if those trucks ran smog pumps, but your exhaust manifolds are designed for them. You have bolts in place of where the air injectors are supposed to be. The only thing I can see that's pre-smog is your bed as it has the older style of gas fillers.

Last edited:

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
California registration is based on the frame, not the cab. It sounds like someone cab swapped the truck and added the 73 VIN to the door jamb or they just added a 73 vin to a 79 truck. What do the rivets look like on the jamb? Are they standard rivets or the correct rosette style?

The dilemma you run into is the frame a 73 or a 79. There is a hidden VIN on the top of the frame under the cab. I don't recall which side, but I have read it here on the forum. It would tell you the correct year. CHP can do a VIN verification, but it creates a HUGE can of worms if the truck turns out to be a 79.

I looked at some of your photos. There are several things that make me lean to the fact its a 79. The front grill/head light surrounds are 79, the dash bezel and door panels are 79. Its not to say those were not swapped out at some point. I've never had a 73-75, truck so I don't know if those trucks ran smog pumps, but your exhaust manifolds are designed for them. You have bolts in place of where the air injectors are supposed to be. The only thing I can see that's pre-smog is your bed as it has the older style of gas fillers.

I'm fairly certain that the frame, engine, cab, and bed are all from different vehicles...

The VIN on the dash says it's a 79 1 ton with a big block, sold as a cab and frame only... The one on the door post (the rivets look older than the rivets on the dash) says it's a 73 1/2 ton with a 350... The engine is a 327...

Basically, it's a frankenstein truck... Oh well....

I thought the DMV went by the cab? If it's the frame and this ends up being a hassle after I've got it all fixed up, I guess the only thing I can do, is find a donor frame somewhere..

I don't like the discrepancy, but what can I do about it? I guess just shut my mouth and stay out of trouble...
:shrug:

Last edited:

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Sounds like a dash swap. I'd just put a 1973-78 dash pad on it and leave it be myself.

Those are my thoughts too.

The original dash might have been butchered and a replacement was installed. It's just a couple bolts and a bunch of spot welds along the windshield frame.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Here's the California Vehicle Code section for registration:

(a) A “vehicle identification number” is the motor number, serial number, or other distinguishing number, letter, mark, character, or datum, or any combination thereof, required or employed by the manufacturer or the department for the purpose of uniquely identifying a motor vehicle or motor vehicle part or for the purpose of registration.

(b) Whenever a vehicle is constructed of component parts identified with one or more different vehicle identification numbers, the vehicle identification number stamped or affixed by the manufacturer or authorized governmental entity on the frame or unitized frame and body, as applicable, and as defined in Section 670.5, shall determine the identity of the vehicle for registration purposes.

If you can, find the hidden VIN on the frame. Maybe it is a 73 with later model parts on it. If so, your plates and VIN are good.

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
Here's the California Vehicle Code section for registration:

(a) A “vehicle identification number” is the motor number, serial number, or other distinguishing number, letter, mark, character, or datum, or any combination thereof, required or employed by the manufacturer or the department for the purpose of uniquely identifying a motor vehicle or motor vehicle part or for the purpose of registration.

(b) Whenever a vehicle is constructed of component parts identified with one or more different vehicle identification numbers, the vehicle identification number stamped or affixed by the manufacturer or authorized governmental entity on the frame or unitized frame and body, as applicable, and as defined in Section 670.5, shall determine the identity of the vehicle for registration purposes.

If you can, find the hidden VIN on the frame. Maybe it is a 73 with later model parts on it. If so, your plates and VIN are good.

Thanks for that!

Was cleaning the truck, and the rivets on that ID tag were not really doing anything, someone had stuck it on with silicone.. When I ran the sponge across it, the thing practically came off...

It is whatever it is...

Does anyone know who the moderator is in this forum?

I'd like to delete this whole thread...

I want to go back to the same state of ignorance I had when I bought the thing.. I don't know what it really is and I want to just go by the plate on the door pillar and the documents unless forced to do otherwise, at which point I guess I will have to find a 75 or earlier truck and move everything over to it's frame... unless this is what it claims to be.. who knows...

MODERATOR, PLEASE DELETE THIS THREAD!

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Should have heeded the old saying:

"Say it, forget it - write it, regret it"

Seriously, I wouldn't worry. What happens in the GMSB forum - stays in the GMSB forum.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ohiokm