Have i decoded this VIN correctly????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pkiller

Reaction score
First Name
james
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I am having the exact same problem. This was on top passenger side frame behind cab. It reads c9f364903. From the identification chart’s posted I’m guessing it’s a GMC. Any assistance is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_5452.jpeg
    IMG_5452.jpeg
    199.6 KB · Views: 16

Jordi

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Not sure about where all the parts came from but that appears to be a factory 4-wheel drive frame.

It also appears that you have a Dana 60 one ton front end and a 14-bolt one ton rear end. Great combo of parts. But I think its safe to say you have a Frankentruck. I hope you can get it all documented and have fun driving it.
Presuming those axles wouldn’t be standard on a K10?

RaisedK5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Leland
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
Presuming those axles wouldn’t be standard on a K10?
Nope. Those are K30 axles. Well, to be more accurate the front is a K30 axle. The rear could be a K20 14 bolt or a K30 14 bolt. If you measure spring pad to spring pad on the rear you'll know whether it's a K10/20 frame or a K30 frame. One tons had the springs closer together. K10/K20 rear spring pads are 42.5 from center to center. K30 would be 40.5 center to center.

Jordi

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Nope. Those are K30 axles. Well, to be more accurate the front is a K30 axle. The rear could be a K20 14 bolt or a K30 14 bolt. If you measure spring pad to spring pad on the rear you'll know whether it's a K10/20 frame or a K30 frame. One tons had the springs closer together. K10/K20 rear spring pads are 42.5 from center to center. K30 would be 40.5 center to center.
something else to go and check

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
he only thing coded into the full VIN would be the engine option. Trans, axle ratios, etc are not coded in the VIN.

The partial VIN on the frame gives the nameplate (Chevy vs GMC), model year, final assembly location and the sequential portion.

The VIN is stamped on the top of the frame rail (not the side) in one or two locations. No crossmembers get stamped. There's the VIN on the cab and some assembly plants (Oshawa in particular) would stamp a partial VIN under the heater box for some years, not all. Engine and trans get a partial VIN, not the axle(s). The SPID label is the equivalent of the old body tag.
You must be registered for see images attach

@pkiller
Chevy, 1979, probably last place was manufactured at was Flint, Michigan.

pkiller

Reaction score
First Name
james
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Thank you very much. The title says 1981 c10. I am looking into getting new leaf springs, but apparently they differ before and after 1973.

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Well at least there you're ahead. This axle upgrade is something that would be done on a K10 if the owner wants to do a lot of 4 wheeling.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
So, I have a plan. Kind of.

I have spoken to a highly regarded UK based American vehicle club who also know the ins and outs of our DVLA (vehicle registration) system.

Their members are regarded as an official reference to age and identify imported and restored vehicles.

Through their members and the vehicles they own they are fairly sure the can compare this vehicle i am interested in, confirm its identity which i hope to be a factory K10 chassis rebodied with a C10 cab.

Once confirmed they can provide documentation I can use to update the vehicle documents and use to prove all the changes are inline with all regulations and standards.

It’s a bit of a long winded process given the vehicle has been in the UK since 1985 with no issues but due to changes in enforcement and regulation in recent decades i feel a necessary step to prove the authenticity of the vehicle.

Really appreciate all the help and info everyone on the forum has provided so far.

Should I strike a deal and buy it this forum and its members will be an invaluable source of information to help me get it up and running.

I’ll update once / if things move along.

Regards
Jordi
Yes.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
@Jordi I am curious as to when squarebodys landed in the UK. Have American cars always been imported to Europe or maybe just the UK? I am really wondering. I feel like it is just a recent thing, last couple decades???

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag