Looking to buy C10/K10....Need advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RTLane000

Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I've always wanted a square body pickup. When I was around 7, my step dad owned one and I have loved them ever since.

I'm going to go check out a 1982 in the next couple days. What do I need to look for when inspecting the truck? Another curious thing is when I pull up the VIN number it shows that it came with a 6.2 diesel and was a K10 (4x4) and not a C10 (2x4). The owner states it's a 2x4. The vin is 1GCEK14C3CS121821. Maybe I decoded the vin incorrectly. Not sure what the conversion from 4x4 to 2x4 entails, so I'm not sure if there are other things I need to inspect when I see the truck. Here is a link to the pictures that I have of the truck, i'm going to go look at it tomorrow....https://imgur.com/a/wGpisBQ. I have also uploaded the pics to the forum. They are asking $5,500 for it. The only thing I don't like by looking at the photos is no door handles. Apparently there is a button to pop open the doors.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome: Good looking truck.

RTLane000

Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yes it does need door handles, oh and badges too.

RTLane000

Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Yeah at least fender badges and the trim thats goes around the back side of the cab underneath the rear windows...not sure what its called.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I think the cab trim you speak of was an option of some sort.
So what its got shaved **** handles and poppers..if that's your bag..

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

But if that type of thing IS your bag, I don't know wtf you wanna go slapping ugly aluminum trim and badges on it for...that would negate all of that P.O.'s hard work AND some of the reason he wants $5500 for that p.o.s..without any A/C.. pass on that one and let someone who appreciates that look buy it. It's obviously not meant for you.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
Not a fan of the no bumper, roll pan thing.
I personally wouldn't touch anything with a mismatched VIN.

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
If I were buying I'd ask myself if you are ever going to sell it down the road. If you think you might then I'd opt for the 4x4 simply because of resale value. Ultimately, you have to decide what you like best. (2WD is more fun to drive, IMHO). I realize this doesn't really help you much in making your decision just wanted to weigh in with some opinions. Good luck!

RTLane000

Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
If I were buying I'd ask myself if you are ever going to sell it down the road. If you think you might then I'd opt for the 4x4 simply because of resale value. Ultimately, you have to decide what you like best. (2WD is more fun to drive, IMHO). I realize this doesn't really help you much in making your decision just wanted to weigh in with some opinions. Good luck!
It is not something I will sell. This will also not be a daily driver. I have a 4x4 vehicle as my daily drive...well AWD Rav4.

This will be a truck that i slowly tailor to my liking over time to make it a dream truck of sorts. I actually prefer a stock look which is why I want to put the badges back on...although I do like the roll pan for some reason. Also it will be nice to have a vehicle to learn on. I’m no mechanic, but seems to be a vehicle I can learn on.

I’m an electrical engineer, so I will add my own flare to it. Already have plans to create my own remote start, push button start, etc. My gears are always turning when it comes to electrical based ideas for the truck. I prefer a stock look, but will definitely be upgrade comfort features.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Now, that I look at the pictures on a bigger screen, needs quite a bit of interior work as well. And wiring followed by AC. Probably only worth the asking price if the body work and paint are done very well. But, looking at the picture of the door, almost can make out the outline of where the handle used to be. Need to take a good look at it.

beaugranbois

Reaction score
First Name
Beau
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
It’s a bit hard to see but from the picture it looks like the trans tunnel is the short 2wd tunnel. Look at the tunnel where it meets the floor under the seat. Here’s an article that shows the difference. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=453806 Basically if it has the 2wd tunnel it’s been vin swapped and I would stay clear of it. The 5th digital in the vin you gave is a K which is for the K10, would be a C for C10. It is an 82 according to the vin. I would take a good look at the vin plate. Look for any scratches, repainting of the plate and that the rosette rivets are there. It’s a lot easier to swap a vin than a frame and it’s better to be safe than sorry.

Last edited:

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Run! Run far and fast! X2 what the Rusty Nail said.

Zoomalot

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado Shorty
Engine Size
350 Ram Jet
Could be a Pain in the Ass! Leaving you with empty pockets "VIN"
Be Careful