Vacuum Switch on Water Neck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stepperado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado stepside
Engine Size
My particular truck is an 84 with a 305/auto, but I know a lot of our trucks had these.

In any event, can anyone shed light on the inner workings of this switch? It's pretty obvious the water temp is controlling a few functions here, but I'd love to know what it's controlling and how.

Thanks,
Stepperado

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Basically what I understand is that the switch controls the amount of vacuum available in relation to the coolant temp. Warmer temps means more vacuum available for the vacuum advance on the distributor.

I just removed all the lines that go to this particular switch on my 400sbc equipped '79. I also had a similar switch directly into my intake right next to the water neck that I removed all the lines from. Bumped the timing from the stock 4* up to around 11*, and the truck runs great now! I have a thread were I asked about vacuum lines and such and I plan on updating it this weekend with pictures and results.

Hope this helps you out!

Stepperado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado stepside
Engine Size
I can see a temperature switch shutting vacuum on or off, but I have to admit it sounds like a stretch that they would use this switch to control the level of vacuum.

Hopefully there is documentation out there to back up a theory. I'd love to see it.

Oh, and glad you are happy with the way your truck runs. That's always nice to hear.:party36: