electric switch on shifter, need ideas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
This almost feels "Steampunky" for lack of a better term. I rather like it.
I saw an oddly dressed couple at a brewery this weekend, and my wife told me it was "Steampunk". I thought WTF, but I guess it's a thing. As a fellow square owner now you've confirmed that it exists beyond internet weirdness, though it is still weird.

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
Back to Rob's initial inquiry... I have a little to add on the subject, even if I'm late to the party.

This is what my coworker has wired up to control the lockup in his TH350C. It's in a 60 something Impala. It's not perfect, but I think it looks pretty clean. I can ask about the specific switch he used if @SirRobyn0 is interested.

You must be registered for see images attach

My old man uses a lighted rocker switch on the dash to control 3rd gear lock up in his 200-4R. I got no pics of that install, but it's something like shown below. It's convenient because it lights up when the converter is locked. No second guessing it for any reason.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Back to Rob's initial inquiry... I have a little to add on the subject, even if I'm late to the party.

This is what my coworker has wired up to control the lockup in his TH350C. It's in a 60 something Impala. It's not perfect, but I think it looks pretty clean. I can ask about the specific switch he used if @SirRobyn0 is interested.

My old man uses a lighted rocker switch on the dash to control 3rd gear lock up in his 200-4R. I got no pics of that install, but it's something like shown below. It's convenient because it lights up when the converter is locked. No second guessing it for any reason.

Thanks for the pics! I've got a switch coming so we'll see what that's like. If I don't like the look of it I'll have you ask your friend. Would not want to do a rocker, mainly because I like keeping the trans controls on the shifter in this application.
ll

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Well It smells better than a hammered goat turd. And how could I, well it wasn't suppose to be a perminate installation. It doesn't have to be a high current switch that was just what I could get at the time that was a push pull switch. I don't want the switch down low on the dash. On the right side there are 4 switches already, you can only see the one in the pic. And on the left side of the column is the switch to activate the dump bed, I really don't want to hit that switch reaching for the lock up switch. And the trailer brake controller is over there.

Also on the shifter like that if I need to unlock the converter in a hurry I can have my fingers on it less than a second.

What I was hoping for was a suggestion for a switch designed to mount to a shifter. They must be out there I mean every medium duty truck with 2 speed read end had one, but not sure something like that would work or could easily be modified.

Wait a minute guys I think that "ball of spaghetti" you guys are seeing isn't wiring. There's only two wires running down the shifter and they tuck right up into the dash. The things you see wound around the shifter are hair ties. Yes, that's right I'm an old guy with a full beard and longish hair and yes it's about 50% grey. Now down low under the dash the wiring you see is running from the trailer brake controller up under the dash.

I kind of like old school, I'd rather have a SM465 with ranger splitter than an nv4500.
My apologies. Upon further inspection I see the hairs ties, not a rats nest of wiring. Thanks for clarifying that. And also, in addition to the A+ on the grab handles, I also give you an A+ on the DIN stereo! Glad to know you don't fall in line with the "purist" crybabies who think putting in a 21st century deck will destroy the value of the everyday truck that there are millions of. Make it yours and enjoy it!

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I was going to be a SmartA** and say "Alexa and a solenoid." Then you could just speak "Alexa, engage torque convertor." Then I google searched it and I'll be damned if it hasn't already been done...on almost any controlled device! Google it and you will see. LOL

Attachments

• SirRobynO.JPG
    SirRobynO.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 43

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
My apologies. Upon further inspection I see the hairs ties, not a rats nest of wiring. Thanks for clarifying that. And also, in addition to the A+ on the grab handles, I also give you an A+ on the DIN stereo! Glad to know you don't fall in line with the "purist" crybabies who think putting in a 21st century deck will destroy the value of the everyday truck that there are millions of. Make it yours and enjoy it!
Ya, as far as the stereo is concerned no I'm not a purist at all. But I do like to keep to some originality, you'll never see a modern gauge cluster in my truck for example. But that's just me.
I was going to be a SmartA** and say "Alexa and a solenoid." Then you could just speak "Alexa, engage torque convertor." Then I google searched it and I'll be damned if it hasn't already been done...on almost any controlled device! Google it and you will see. LOL
Already been done huh. I never would have though. Well that bitch isn't allowed in my truck anyway lol.

Just my luck, I say "Alexa engage torque converter clutch" and she'd respond with something like "I'm glad you think so highly of me but I'm not available for marriage". Mean while my converter stays unlocked. Heck if you have an Alexa device I dare you to ask her to engage you and see what she has to say. Maybe she'd just say I'm here or something like that....

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
If you any programming experience or know someone that does, a raspberry pi mini computer can be programmed to do whatever you want.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
The switch got delivered today at work. I wasn't sure what this switch would have for electrical connections. Turns out it's got a slide in two pin connection, connector not included. So I rummaged around in my electrical draws at the shop and found a connector and pins that fit it. So I assembled the connector at work today and got that part of it ready to roll. It's much flatter than the switch I have taped on, but it's a bit longer. I'm hoping to be able to swap my chrome knob on to it.

That's all I have so far. I'll get it installed either Friday, Saturday or Sunday, but the gear indicator quit working, as did the maglite charger in the truck I need to look at those things before the switch install takes place but it'll get done in the next 3 days.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Ok it's done. I need to order a new shift indicator as that is broken and a part for my flashlight.

The switch installation was simple. Remove the old crap, clean up the glue residue, solder the connections together and tighten the clamp on the shifter.

Installation pics:

Below, old switch and new switch. It's kind of hard to tell in the pic but the body of the switch will sit out a bit further from the shifter which creates a minor problem I'll ask your opinion on in a minute.

Below: getting the wiring ready for the new switch, soldered the pigtails to the existing wiring and of course shrink wrapped.

Below: wires on!

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Now for the one little irritating issue. The old switch I had on the front side of the shifter. This allowed me to operate the switch without taking my hand off the steering wheel. The new switch because it has a proper shifter mount and the way the wiring comes off it, putting it in front isn't a good. Let me stop typing and post pics.

So you can see facing the front the wiring shoots way out, part of that is the curvature of the shifter.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Facing the back works much better for the wiring and for looks, but requires me removing my hand from the wheel to operate it.

Also with it facing back I have to grab the thing every time I shift the transmission, in the front it's not a problem because it's in the open part of your hand.

Pics of it on the back of the shifter.

Now that looks a lot better and the wiring is safer run along the back of the shifter, so for now I'm going to leave it there and see if it's to in the way when I'm shifting. If it is maybe I can get creative on how the wiring exits the switch, and move it back to the front of the shifter.

So what do you think, switch on the front of the shift or on the back? Be honest, I know there are guys who are still going to think this is awful and that's fine.

Last edited:

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I like it on the back Best. Scuff it up and paint it black and it will blend right in I think.

I do got to ask what's up with the pony tail elastics? I have a couple on mine cause I have two daughters and they always forget that I don't have ac and the windows are always down. Hair in the face bothers them. Easy solution. I do give the moms a laugh cause they know exactly when I do the pony tail. That looks like a dad pony tail. Lol.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I like it on the back Best. Scuff it up and paint it black and it will blend right in I think.

I do got to ask what's up with the pony tail elastics? I have a couple on mine cause I have two daughters and they always forget that I don't have ac and the windows are always down. Hair in the face bothers them. Easy solution. I do give the moms a laugh cause they know exactly when I do the pony tail. That looks like a dad pony tail. Lol.
Ok sure it's a really simple explanation really. I've had long hair my entire life since I was teen. There's a lot of gray in it now and I'm going to have to cut it because its gotten so course and wirery. Why so many ties it's just from me pulling the hair tie out sticking it on there and forgetting. I really should bring some of them back into the house but it's just not something I think about I guess.

Thanks for the feedback on the switch and orientation of it. I appreciate it.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I like the sturdy, purposeful look of that switch and because the wiring is neater I like it on the side of the shifter closest to the dash. It does seem to be a bit bulky for your application though.

I know that if I were walking past a truck like yours I would look inside it. I would notice that switch and would not have a clue what it did. I would tell myself, "I don't know what that is but this guy is USING this truck and that has something to do with towing things!" I actually like that look.

I once drove an older Ford 4wd diesel on a farm that used that exact switch for the 2 speed rear end. I was about 21 years old at the time and thought that was the most Truck Like thing ever.

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
I think the switch would be better in front of the shift knob. The wiring isn't as sleek that way, but grabbing that knob to shift requires a little pull forward so you're always handling the back of the knob. Having the switch on the back means it's always getting grabbed to shift, right???

Even if the wiring is not as "safe" cause it's off the shift rod, I think it's relatively safe in that area.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54