electric switch on shifter, need ideas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Radiohead

Reducing tire diameter 1000 revolutions at once
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
Modify a cruise control button on a turn signal stalk.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@Turbo4whl in my early days as a contractor in chemical plants and refineries I was running conduit and pulling wire for a living. When someone did ugly work, when the craftsmanship was sub par, they were often told something like "That looks like hammered goat s**t. Are you gonna leave it like that?" Only those that did "pretty work" were allowed to terminate in panels and starter buckets. I still sort of work in the Instrumentation and Electrical field in a refinery although I think my construction days are long gone. But I don't like Ugly Wiring and I don't like an ugly installation in an otherwise good looking truck.

@SirRobyn0 you mentioned that it doesn't have to be a "high current" switch. How much current, how many amps does it have to carry? I have no clue what it takes to lock up a torque converter. I am assuming some sort of solenoid, I would want to know exactly how many amps it takes and make my switch choice based on that first and go from there.

Edit: CAN you use a momentary push button? I am thinking not, the switch you currently (no pun intended) are using is either open or closed. A momentary switch may not work for this application.

And since I really respect you and your posts I have hesitated to point this out up to now... That ashtray power station thing you have going there looks like a total ClusterF*** to me. I LOVE your truck, I love that you USE the truck and I understand that form follows function but those wires going everywhere like a wisteria vine... none of that looks safe or organized to me. Every time I see that I want to attack it with some wire loom and small zip ties!
Ok Andrew so since you went there..... I'll respond to each paragraph you wrote.

#1. Thanks for explaining that so I feel even more ridiculed. I'm trying to make it a better cleaner thing, hence this post. I left it like that, but it was never meant to be left like that. Now I wanna clean it up a bit. Is that ok with you?

#2. IDK the current, it isn't the power or ground for the lock in converter, it activates the solenoid in the tranny for the lockup. It's low not more than a couple amps. I'm sure you'd like a specific answer but I don't have one.

#3. No it can't be a momentary switch.

#4. While I appreciate the positive compliments, I don't appreciate the negative comments. I'll explain those wires again. One goes to the GPS, one is an aux cord for the radio, two are cell phone chargers. Rather than letting them hang on to the floor when not in use I coil them around the tach. I'm sorry you have a problem with that. Aren't you glad it's not your truck and you don't have to look at my crappy way of doing things in anything other than pictures.... Yes, your comments about that have pissed me off, as if the goat turd thing wasn't bad enough. Keep in mind this is on the heals of you telling me my truck would be useless to you in another thread. So I can't thank you enough for your recent comments.

Last edited:

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
This is a pretty solid idea. It's actually pretty similar to the the "Tow Haul" button on most modern trucks. If someone wanted to be creative, they could put a modern shift lever on that collum and wire the built in "tow-haul" button as their lockup switch.
I agree my only problem with it is the amount of potential work that could be involved with putting a switch in the actual lever vs mounted externally.
My first suggestion was going to be an exhaust brake switch.
Floor mounted dimmer switch for honorary mention. But my brain would want to keep all the trans functions on the same lever!
Thank you, finally someone that thinks like me. Is an exhaust brake switch just a two wires switch?

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
I agree my only problem with it is the amount of potential work that could be involved with putting a switch in the actual lever vs mounted externally.

Thank you, finally someone that thinks like me. Is an exhaust brake switch just a two wires switch?
It really wouldn't be that difficult if you ran the wires down the same channel that the rest of the steering collum harness goes through. The hardest part would be making the new lever work in the same recess as the old one. The other methods suggested are good too, this method just gives you the added convenience of having all your transmission controls in the same place.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
It really wouldn't be that difficult if you ran the wires down the same channel that the rest of the steering collum harness goes through. The hardest part would be making the new lever work in the same recess as the old one. The other methods suggested are good too, this method just gives you the added convenience of having all your transmission controls in the same place.
Agreed. Right now I'm leaning towards going with a purpose built external switch, like a diesel exhaust switch to replace the current thing. Should look a bit better but keep the installation simple. Still I do like the lever / knob swap idea I just think it'll turn into quite a bit of work to make something like that connect and function to the column.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
@SirRobyn0 I sincerely apologize. Pissing you off was never my intention. I have stated multiple times that I really like your truck and respect what you are doing with it. You asked for help with this thread and I was making an attempt to provide some help. I was trying to be amusing at the same time but that obviously failed.

If you recall when I said your truck would be almost useless in my world you were saying that a short bed truck was of no value to you. Even though both of us work our trucks (your square body more than mine) we live in two very different environments. That creates different needs. I certainly didn't mean to insult your truck. Did you intend to insult mine?

My question about the amp draw was directly related to helping you find a suitable switch. I was actually going through some switches I have on hand hoping to help you.

If you are still mad then that is on you. I never intended to do that at all.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@SirRobyn0 I sincerely apologize. Pissing you off was never my intention. I have stated multiple times that I really like your truck and respect what you are doing with it. You asked for help with this thread and I was making an attempt to provide some help. I was trying to be amusing at the same time but that obviously failed.

If you recall when I said your truck would be almost useless in my world you were saying that a short bed truck was of no value to you. Even though both of us work our trucks (your square body more than mine) we live in two very different environments. That creates different needs. I certainly didn't mean to insult your truck. Did you intend to insult mine?

My question about the amp draw was directly related to helping you find a suitable switch. I was actually going through some switches I have on hand hoping to help you.

Thanks for that. I'm outside working on the farm and it's hard for me to type on the phone. One of the downfalls on a text based forum is it's hard to interpret words and expression sometimes. If we'd of been together elbowing each other and laughing I would likely have never taken offence. So I apologize for taking your words out of context. I will write more later but we are ok.

WebMonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
i'd use a latching relay so i COULD USE A MOMENTARY switch.

then:
the relay would handle any current requirement.
the momentary switch could be as minuscule as i wanted/needed with matching small gauge wiring.

result:
tiny switch that you push to engage and push to disengage. (same height of button all the time)
indicator led/bulb wired to latching relay to indicate lock/unlock. (although kinda obvious to the driver anyway)

good luck!
'monkey

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

Did I mean to insult your truck? No I was thinking of the truck Ayden was thinking of buying at the time and not yours at all.

For the record I like your truck as well, I kind of feel like they are closer relatives than the average square body is. I truly enjoy the pictures you post of her. I think part of it is they look so similar.

As for the amp draw it's a little solenoid in the tranny, I do not know what it draws but it couldn't possibly be more than about 3 amps. Testing it would be tricky, because you have to be at speed on the road for it to engage, so getting a real draw test isn't likely to happen, unless I take one of the guys from the shop for spin this week.

Am I still mad? No, though I still have concerns, so that will go in our PM convo. As I said in my other note sometimes in text it is hard to interpret the under tones, vs a voice or in person conversation.

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Ever watch balzing saddles? Where buddy says 'What in the wild world of sports is going on there?' Anywho that's what I thought when I saw your pictures. But I'm Hine sight I would want it on my shifter aswell. Especially coming from one who use to drive a two speed axle grain trucks.

I miss those days. But one could find some nice leather and do this. But use the two speed axle switch.
You must be registered for see images attach

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Ever watch balzing saddles? Where buddy says 'What in the wild world of sports is going on there?' Anywho that's what I thought when I saw your pictures. But I'm Hine sight I would want it on my shifter aswell. Especially coming from one who use to drive a two speed axle grain trucks.

I miss those days. But one could find some nice leather and do this. But use the two speed axle switch.
This almost feels "Steampunky" for lack of a better term. I rather like it.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

Yes, I have but it's been a looooong time ago. YESSSS Grain trucks!!!! I loved driving that old C50 or 60. And yes that is sort of the take off of the switch on the shifter, even though my truck is an automatic, and I'm running a converter lock up not a 2 speed rear end, but yes that's right where the idea comes from old grain trucks!!!!
This almost feels "Steampunky" for lack of a better term. I rather like it.

I think at this point I have a plan. I'm going to get a 2 speed rear end switch, like the second picture on post #6. I want a cleaner version of what I currently have, not to rework it into something entirely different. Once it's installed, we'll see if I want to leather wrap it that would certainly be a way to it up further if needed.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
In my last post I should have thanked everyone that came into this thread and gave ideas. So I'll do that now. Thank you.

I think for me some of the highlights, best ideas were a custom shift knob. Hey I'd actually really like that solution, but it would likely be time consuming to make / modify something to work which is the reason I'm not doing that but I do very much like the idea.

Wiring it to a floor dimmer switch. This is also a really great idea, since my truck has a the high low changer on the column. However my intention is change the high low changer to a floor mount before winter comes and I start driving in the dark a lot. So I wouldn't really want to have two floor mounted switches.

Modifying a cruse switch. This is actually a really cool idea. My truck does not have cruise and changing to a switch stalk that does have cruse is super simple. Would give a guy on momentary switch on the end and the on off switch on the front of the switch. Not knowing the load of the solenoid in the transmission I'd be concerned about it being to much for the cruse switch. Obviously that could be wired to a relay, but I've kind of got a current setup that will be fine if cleaned up. Rest assured this idea will not be forgotten though and I strongly suspect that down the road I will be using it for something, so I really appreciate this idea too.

Thanks again and I'll be sure to post pic of my installation.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400