electric switch on shifter, need ideas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I like the sturdy, purposeful look of that switch and because the wiring is neater I like it on the side of the shifter closest to the dash. It does seem to be a bit bulky for your application though.

I know that if I were walking past a truck like yours I would look inside it. I would notice that switch and would not have a clue what it did. I would tell myself, "I don't know what that is but this guy is USING this truck and that has something to do with towing things!" I actually like that look.

I once drove an older Ford 4wd diesel on a farm that used that exact switch for the 2 speed rear end. I was about 21 years old at the time and thought that was the most Truck Like thing ever.
Thanks, it's not streamlined or built in, but for me I don't need that. Installation was simple as will any future service if need. It is bulky, but it's kind of about the only switch of this type. I had two choice this Pollak switch or a Standard switch. Both made by standard, but the standard did not include the mounting strap.

I think the switch would be better in front of the shift knob. The wiring isn't as sleek that way, but grabbing that knob to shift requires a little pull forward so you're always handling the back of the knob. Having the switch on the back means it's always getting grabbed to shift, right???

Even if the wiring is not as "safe" cause it's off the shift rod, I think it's relatively safe in that area.
Ya, I have to say I agree with your thoughts. I have two concerns about it being on the dash side of the shifter.
#1. Have to wrap my hands around the switch the move the shift lever.
#2. Have to remove, or nearly remove hand from steering wheel to operate it.

Pros:
#1. Wiring more out of sight.

Concerns about it being in front.
#1. Because of wiring exit on the switch and the shape of the shifter lever, the wiring sticks out more from the shift lever. I think it's unlikely it would get caught on the keys / ignition switch so mostly cosmetic.

Pros:
#1. Can operate switch with hand on the steering wheel, by using fingers.
#2. Does not interfere with putting hand on shifter to move lever.

It doesn't look like I'll have the truck out until Monday, but when I do we will see how I feel about the switch location where it is now (backside of the shifter / dash side), and I'll run it like I would if I was loaded so I can get a feel for how I like operating it. Function will be more important that looks in the end.

Thanks for the opinions and thoughts guys, I'll update you after I've driven the truck a bit.

Last edited:

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Update @scrap--metal @Originalthor @Redfish and everyone else that is interested here is my drive report. As I walked past the truck this morning to go do the farm chores I thought about the switch. A couple hours later when I got into it to go to the shop I had forgotten. I fired it up, reached for the handle and was instantly not thrilled with wrapping my hands around it. I have to go though 2 gates to get to the main farm road from the barn, so that's 4 times putting it park and getting out. Each time I was less thrilled with having to be careful not to pull on the switch to hard, but I wanted to give it a fair shot and drive it the 25 miles to the shop. So as I got on to the main, road and got it up to speed I kept it in drive and operated the switch some on the road. Sorry guys that like it mounted on the back, it's dreadful back there. Pushed in it's just a tiny bit shorter than the shifter knob so I had to really reach behind the shifter in order to pull it up and naturally a guy kind of wants to pull forward on the shifter at the same time which could result in an accidental shift. So I pulled over loosened the collar on the switch and rotated it to the front. Oh so much better. Operation is restored to using the finger tips with hand still on the steering wheel, and the switch no longer interferes with the use of the shifter. I do need to modify the wiring a little bit to ensure it stays safe, under all conditions but in front of the shifter, as in on the steering wheel side is where it'll stay. Thanks everyone for the input and thoughts on this!

Radiohead

Reducing tire diameter 1000 revolutions at once
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
Since heat shrink is probably not an option to encapsulate the wires and regular black quick loom looks kinda hinky, what about the plastic spiral wrap I've seen out there?

I suppose you could use scrunchies too, probably look better.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
@SirRobyn0 I am a firm believer in Form Follows Function. Where it WORKS best is more important than where it looks best.

As you have probably deduced, I like keeping wires tucked out of the way for both cosmetic and safety reasons. But if the wires can be ziptied out of the way and the switch and shifter operation is safer and more convenient, you are really the only one who has to like how it looks!

I have a rocker switch here that may work for your application. It was designed to mount on standard 7/8" motorcycle handlebars. I have no idea what the amp rating is but I will attach some pics. If it is something that interests you, it is yours. If you are happy with your current (no pun intended) switch, that one certainly looks rugged and purposeful.

You must be registered for see images attach

Radiohead

Reducing tire diameter 1000 revolutions at once
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
That looks sharp.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Since heat shrink is probably not an option to encapsulate the wires and regular black quick loom looks kinda hinky, what about the plastic spiral wrap I've seen out there?

I suppose you could use scrunchies too, probably look better.
LOL on the scrunchies.... So part of the procedure to put the new connectors on the wires for the new switch involved soldering and shrink wrap. In reality I could pull the connector apart and put shrink wrap around the wires, but really holding them together is not my main concern. Holding them closer to the shift lever is. It's fine for right now as is but long term I don't want the wiring to catch on the ignition switch and pull it apart. That would suck. Might be all that is needed is clear zip tie.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@SirRobyn0 I am a firm believer in Form Follows Function. Where it WORKS best is more important than where it looks best.

As you have probably deduced, I like keeping wires tucked out of the way for both cosmetic and safety reasons. But if the wires can be ziptied out of the way and the switch and shifter operation is safer and more convenient, you are really the only one who has to like how it looks!

I have a rocker switch here that may work for your application. It was designed to mount on standard 7/8" motorcycle handlebars. I have no idea what the amp rating is but I will attach some pics. If it is something that interests you, it is yours. If you are happy with your current (no pun intended) switch, that one certainly looks rugged and purposeful.

I can't thank you enough for the offer, but I'm going to pass on the switch. I like the function, location and operation of the one I have now. Other than getting the wires held to the shift lever better I'm good to go. A clear zip tie might be all that is really needed.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I can't thank you enough for the offer, but I'm going to pass on the switch. I like the function, location and operation of the one I have now. Other than getting the wires held to the shift lever better I'm good to go. A clear zip tie might be all that is really needed.
If the "look" means anything, the switch you already have matches your Truck better anyway. As long as it does what you want it to do and you are happy with it, Mission Accomplished.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
If the "look" means anything, the switch you already have matches your Truck better anyway. As long as it does what you want it to do and you are happy with it, Mission Accomplished.
"If the "look" means anything" I like to think that looks don't mean much and they I spend Sunday morning washing and waxing the truck and doing up the interior.

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
So I pulled over loosened the collar on the switch and rotated it to the front. Oh so much better. Operation is restored to using the finger tips with hand still on the steering wheel, and the switch no longer interferes with the use of the shifter.
I thought it'd be annoying on the dash side of the shift knob. Glad you figured out your preference.

I am a firm believer in Form Follows Function. Where it WORKS best is more important than where it looks best.
^ That's exactly the logic that keeps me my driving my K10 on a regular basis (daily in winter). It's rotting away, and it's fine square body looks are degrading one rusty metal flake at a time, but it WORKS! That makes it awesome IMO, even if the masses can't comprehend.

ak4life

alaskan born, fed and bred.....lol.
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
81/84 gmc, 2001gmc, 2003 gmc, 2005 chevy
Truck Model
longbed squarebody, longbed 4dr extended cab, yukon sle, 4dr ext. cab
Engine Size
383, 6.0, 5.3, 5.3
Ok guys I need a few good ideas.

So like 3 or 4 years ago when I got my 18" open trailer I decided that I wanted a manual way to lock my torque converter in 3rd gear. So the way I have it setup the converter locks in overdrive automatically, but in 3rd I have a switch to control it. I thought this would be temporary and that I'd get the vacuum controller working for the 3rd gear lockup, which I did do, but I discovered I prefer the manual converter lock up control when I'm towing.

So here is what I did. I ran the 3rd gear lock up wires into the cab up the column and to a switch on the shifter.

This is similar to the switch I used:

And this is how it is mounted:

Under the electrical tape is the terminals and zip tie. And I have a thin wire holding the switch to the knob.

It's been like this for a few years and it's function is great and convenient. It's also ugly. Any of you that know me know that I will choose function over looks any day, but I keep thinking that there must be something out there that will do this job better.

So basically I'm looking for a switch or way of mounting a switch to the shifter that might look a little better. Thanks.
Get shifter handle with the push in button on the end like ford has for cruise control.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Get shifter handle with the push in button on the end like ford has for cruise control.
See posts #40 & #41 I installed the universal Pollak switch, which is meant to be mounted to the outside of a manual gear shift lever to operate a 2 speed rear end. So far the pollak switch has worked out great for me so it is VERY unlikely that I'll be swapping it out for anything else.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Use an old school high beam switch on the floor

Forum statistics

Threads