electric switch on shifter, need ideas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Ok guys I need a few good ideas.

So like 3 or 4 years ago when I got my 18" open trailer I decided that I wanted a manual way to lock my torque converter in 3rd gear. So the way I have it setup the converter locks in overdrive automatically, but in 3rd I have a switch to control it. I thought this would be temporary and that I'd get the vacuum controller working for the 3rd gear lockup, which I did do, but I discovered I prefer the manual converter lock up control when I'm towing.

So here is what I did. I ran the 3rd gear lock up wires into the cab up the column and to a switch on the shifter.

This is similar to the switch I used:

You must be registered for see images attach

And this is how it is mounted:

Under the electrical tape is the terminals and zip tie. And I have a thin wire holding the switch to the knob.

It's been like this for a few years and it's function is great and convenient. It's also ugly. Any of you that know me know that I will choose function over looks any day, but I keep thinking that there must be something out there that will do this job better.

So basically I'm looking for a switch or way of mounting a switch to the shifter that might look a little better. Thanks.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Good grief man, a hammered goat turd would look better! How can you...

I would say to mount it close to that toggle switch you have already that is below and to the left of your radio. I would think that if you are not using a relay, you are just relying on the contacts in the switch you need to have a fairly robust switch like the one you are already using. I say just mount that same switch somewhere else that isn't so conspicuous and distractingly ugly.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
First of all Sh**Can that slushbox automatic and put a nv4500 in it. Then Sh**Can that ball of spaghetti. Then add a proper momentary switch on the shift lever to control a line lock for the front brakes. Makes starting off on inclines a breeze. Whatever you do, do something, lol. At least tint the windows so others can't see it. Lol

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Good grief man, a hammered goat turd would look better! How can you...

I would say to mount it close to that toggle switch you have already that is below and to the left of your radio. I would think that if you are not using a relay, you are just relying on the contacts in the switch you need to have a fairly robust switch like the one you are already using. I say just mount that same switch somewhere else that isn't so conspicuous and distractingly ugly.
Well It smells better than a hammered goat turd. And how could I, well it wasn't suppose to be a perminate installation. It doesn't have to be a high current switch that was just what I could get at the time that was a push pull switch. I don't want the switch down low on the dash. On the right side there are 4 switches already, you can only see the one in the pic. And on the left side of the column is the switch to activate the dump bed, I really don't want to hit that switch reaching for the lock up switch. And the trailer brake controller is over there.

Also on the shifter like that if I need to unlock the converter in a hurry I can have my fingers on it less than a second.

What I was hoping for was a suggestion for a switch designed to mount to a shifter. They must be out there I mean every medium duty truck with 2 speed read end had one, but not sure something like that would work or could easily be modified.
First of all Sh**Can that slushbox automatic and put a nv4500 in it. Then Sh**Can that ball of spaghetti. Then add a proper momentary switch on the shift lever to control a line lock for the front brakes. Makes starting off on inclines a breeze. Whatever you do, do something, lol. At least tint the windows so others can't see it. Lol

Wait a minute guys I think that "ball of spaghetti" you guys are seeing isn't wiring. There's only two wires running down the shifter and they tuck right up into the dash. The things you see wound around the shifter are hair ties. Yes, that's right I'm an old guy with a full beard and longish hair and yes it's about 50% grey. Now down low under the dash the wiring you see is running from the trailer brake controller up under the dash.

I kind of like old school, I'd rather have a SM465 with ranger splitter than an nv4500.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Ok guys here are some interior pictures, some of them aren't all that recent like the second one has the old worn out seat cover. Anyhow gives you an idea what I've got going on. It doesn't really look worse than a hammered goat turd, to me, but I do want better.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Ok I did a little more looking than I did last night before I made this post. What you think?

These are on amazon:

The one on the left is made for exhaust brake on a diesel, the one on the right is for 2 speed rear end, so knowing the one on the right has two electrical terminals in there I'm leaning towards that one.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
I don't think I've ever seen a hammered goat turd, but that description fits your current shift lever to a tee!

What I think you may want to consider is a power switch button, push on, push off. Mount it right in the end of the shifter knob. Custom made shifter knob of wood or aluminum, just a little longer to house the switch.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I don't think I've ever seen a hammered goat turd, but that description fits your current shift lever to a tee!

What I think you may want to consider is a power switch button, push on, push off. Mount it right in the end of the shifter knob. Custom made shifter knob of wood or aluminum, just a little longer to house the switch.
I'll think about this some. I like the idea, but one issue is that the wiring would have to leave the knob and run externally down the shifter and column like it is now, since it's not like the lever itself is hollow, or at least I don't think it is. Wood I could make wood knob myself, but it would be out of place as there is no wood or wood grain on the truck. I suppose I could hit it with a rubberized coating and it could, if I did it right look similar to the factory knob but bigger and longer to house the switch.

Ok thanks for that, I'm not saying I'm gonna do your idea but it gives me something to think about and that was what I really wanted out of this thread was some other ideas on how to keep the switch on the shifter, but without doing anything to wild like a column swap....

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
@Turbo4whl in my early days as a contractor in chemical plants and refineries I was running conduit and pulling wire for a living. When someone did ugly work, when the craftsmanship was sub par, they were often told something like "That looks like hammered goat s**t. Are you gonna leave it like that?" Only those that did "pretty work" were allowed to terminate in panels and starter buckets. I still sort of work in the Instrumentation and Electrical field in a refinery although I think my construction days are long gone. But I don't like Ugly Wiring and I don't like an ugly installation in an otherwise good looking truck.

@SirRobyn0 you mentioned that it doesn't have to be a "high current" switch. How much current, how many amps does it have to carry? I have no clue what it takes to lock up a torque converter. I am assuming some sort of solenoid, I would want to know exactly how many amps it takes and make my switch choice based on that first and go from there.

Edit: CAN you use a momentary push button? I am thinking not, the switch you currently (no pun intended) are using is either open or closed. A momentary switch may not work for this application.

And since I really respect you and your posts I have hesitated to point this out up to now... That ashtray power station thing you have going there looks like a total ClusterF*** to me. I LOVE your truck, I love that you USE the truck and I understand that form follows function but those wires going everywhere like a wisteria vine... none of that looks safe or organized to me. Every time I see that I want to attack it with some wire loom and small zip ties!

Last edited:

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size

This is a pretty solid idea. It's actually pretty similar to the the "Tow Haul" button on most modern trucks. If someone wanted to be creative, they could put a modern shift lever on that collum and wire the built in "tow-haul" button as their lockup switch.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My first suggestion was going to be an exhaust brake switch.
Floor mounted dimmer switch for honorary mention. But my brain would want to keep all the trans functions on the same lever!

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
This is a pretty solid idea. It's actually pretty similar to the the "Tow Haul" button on most modern trucks. If someone wanted to be creative, they could put a modern shift lever on that collum and wire the built in "tow-haul" button as their lockup switch.
The problem is that a "Tow Haul" button is a momentary contact like a horn or starter button. The switch he is currently using is either open or closed. He would have to do some re-wiring and re-engineering to go with a momentary contact button.

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
The problem is that a "Tow Haul" button is a momentary contact like a horn or starter button. The switch he is currently using is either open or closed. He would have to do some re-wiring and re-engineering to go with a momentary contact button.
If you found an on/off button that was the correct size, you could just take the factory button out, an put the other switch in the same housing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128