Vacuum Switch on 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

79Sea30

Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Afternoon All-

Hoping one of you may have some experience to help with my current question. I'm in the process of swapping intake manifolds on my 79. Truck is a 454, 4speed, with AC. The AC is fully removed and I do not plan to reinstall. While swapping the manifold to a Weiand Street Warrior, I noticed the vacuum switch in the front of the stock manifold had cracked connections. When I went to remove and reinstall on the new manifold, it fell apart in my hands. I ordered a new one, and have that at home, but now i'm curious? Do I need it? Truck is a carb 454, manual transmission, and stock outside of the edelbrock carb, and headers. Just wondering if it's necessary, or If I can just block it off on the new manifold? I looked up other threads, but nothing that specifically answers that question. Hoping someone can help.
Cheers,

Kyle

Radiohead

Reducing tire diameter 1000 revolutions at once
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
If your rig doesn't need to meet emissions equipment requirements upon licensing, you can ignore the device and roam about the planet at will. I believe that sensor allowed vacuum to do its thing after the coolant got to a particular temperature.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Exactly what radiohead said. Depending on year and what you have installed, those thermal vacuum switches are used to keep various emissions things from functioning until the vehicle warms up, such as vacuum advance and various heat riser things on the exhaust and air cleaner. If you have removed all of that, then you don't need any of it.

Pics would help us give you a definitive yes or no.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
@Radiohead was kind enough to post his emissions sticker, but for Cali, not 49 state.

You must be registered for see images attach

His shows 2 TVS (thermal vacuum switch) sensors for 1979. Between them both they control the EGR, the hot air stove, the charcoal canister purge and the trapped vacuum spark. The hot air stove and trapped vacuum spark help the engine when cold.

If you have removed them all except the charcoal cans, then yes you don't need them. Hook the charcoal can purge to ported vacuum.

79Sea30

Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Thanks for all the quick replies. Vacuum lines are currently setup as. Distributor to a tee. One goes to carb. Then the other goes to a split vacuum hose running to the vacuum switch in the front of manifold. There’s also a 90 deg port that runs from manifold to canister above hvac on the passenger side firewall.

Attachments

• 3E4A914F-A1DE-4F2E-9C86-AB7903C7705C.jpeg
    3E4A914F-A1DE-4F2E-9C86-AB7903C7705C.jpeg
    318.6 KB · Views: 43

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmattly