Two tone paint stripe availability?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

superbee70

Reaction score
First Name
tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Recently bought an 88 Burb with 2 tone paint. There is some sticker striping that the factory used to separate the colors, in my case it's a "3 red stripe" stripe. Anyone know where to get this? I want to repaint the truck and would like to match the factory setup. Didn't see anything at LMC or online.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I looked into it many years ago when the stripes were still available at the dealerships. They were over $300 for the set back then, so figure around $500 now... IF you could find them. Better (cheaper) way to go is having a pinstripe guy do them by hand with paint. The body shop that painted my burb knew a guy who did custom work for a hundred bucks. I wanted it toned down a bit, it always seemed weird having the factory red stripes on a white truck with blue interior. The guy did two thin color-matched stripes that don't jump out at you like the oem ones did. It's subtle, you have to be close to see them, but adds a little visual bonus as you walk up to the truck.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I looked for them and couldn't find any. It doesn't help that there were many different color variations that were used. I made one out of regular tape striping, it looked great from a few feet away, but up close you could tell it was made of several stripes.

I think your two best options are custom painted, or having a vinyl stripe company come and apply new stripes (a wide base stripe with the thin stripes laid on top).

I think you can still get a few different "multi-stripe" tape rolls, but the bend at the front of the fender would be about impossible to do.

superbee70

Reaction score
First Name
tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Thanks. I was thinking they might be dealer only and that is too expensive. I'm leaning towards a vinyly stripe but you're right, the bend at the fender may not lay down right. Maybe this is why I've seen some trucks that the stipe doesnt turn down at the front of the fender and instead continues into the grill.

I thought with the amount of trucks still on the road and the popularity someone would be repro'ing these.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Maybe a sign company that does vehicle graphics can help?

Posted From Hell

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ls85c10man