Interior Plastic Paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kilian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
K
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 hopefully converting to K2500
Engine Size
Looking for input on the interior panel paints offered by LMC and USA1. Refurbishing a daily driver/work truck and need to freshen up the 1983 Carmine Red interior. Given the use the truck will get, at this time I'd rather rehab my sun bleached door panels, etc., then buy new.

Are they similar products? The LMC Colorbond paint is in general colors (Red, Blue, etc.) while USA1 is listed as actual OEM color (1981-87 Carmine Red).

How well do they match original interior parts? What about durability? I came across a past post where someone had repainted a door panel and the finish was starting to bubble.

Thanks!

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I used OER PP830 Carmine #317 OER. I was pleasantly surprised on how close it is. Just be sure to properly prepare and use SEM plastic primer.

84GMCSierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
For my daily driver I used Krylon Fusion paint. Came close to the original Blue color. It's holding up very well. I painted my door panels a few years ago.

Attachments

• IMG_3951.JPG
    IMG_3951.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 43

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
For my daily driver I used Krylon Fusion paint. Came close to the original Blue color. It's holding up very well. I painted my door panels a few years ago.
Agree, mine is holding up well. Search for krylon fusion here in the forums.

drumvirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-30
Engine Size
Just remember the greasy hamburger juice, residue from anyone's hands, nicotine residue, etc., etc., from over the years. Years in the paint industry taught me that there's always some contaminants on a surface that need prep. If you have nothing else, VM&P Naptha (same as lighter fluid) will remove petroleum related contaminants and alcohol (don't use the good stuff!) will remove biological related residue. If you don't use an appropriate prep solvent like these, you might still get lucky and the topcoat will stick and not bubble, etc. ...for a while, but you may have problems later.

Always test any prep solvent on an inconspicuous spot like inside a squarebody door panel before using.

Also, some brand's finish products for plastic require their first coat bonding primer. If so, use it. One reason they require this can be that their primer can have ingredients that have a molecule size that is smaller than the microscopic voids in the plastic it will adhere to. When the primer dries, it's formulated to have it's own voids or profile that is appropriate for the topcoat to adhere to properly.

Btw, one of the companies I worked for makes Krylon. On the other hand, I didn't work in the automotive coatings side, but some general principles apply to most all coatings.

Reaction score
First Name
uncle nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
v8
Definitely agree with @drumvirt thats some good info!

One thing I’m looking at for my 86 suburban plastics is doing a 3M vinyl wrap. Not sure how easy that will be on the doors or how it will hold up, but the application seems pretty easy and only requires a heat gun.

Has anyone tried wrapping their interior plastics this way for a color change?

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Definitely agree with @drumvirt thats some good info!

One thing I’m looking at for my 86 suburban plastics is doing a 3M vinyl wrap. Not sure how easy that will be on the doors or how it will hold up, but the application seems pretty easy and only requires a heat gun.

Has anyone tried wrapping their interior plastics this way for a color change?
Sounds somewhere between frustrating and impossible imo.

Rumbledawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 crewcab
Engine Size
Just remember the greasy hamburger juice, residue from anyone's hands, nicotine residue, etc., etc., from over the years. Years in the paint industry taught me that there's always some contaminants on a surface that need prep. If you have nothing else, VM&P Naptha (same as lighter fluid) will remove petroleum related contaminants and alcohol (don't use the good stuff!) will remove biological related residue. If you don't use an appropriate prep solvent like these, you might still get lucky and the topcoat will stick and not bubble, etc. ...for a while, but you may have problems later.

Always test any prep solvent on an inconspicuous spot like inside a squarebody door panel before using.

Also, some brand's finish products for plastic require their first coat bonding primer. If so, use it. One reason they require this can be that their primer can have ingredients that have a molecule size that is smaller than the microscopic voids in the plastic it will adhere to. When the primer dries, it's formulated to have it's own voids or profile that is appropriate for the topcoat to adhere to properly.

Btw, one of the companies I worked for makes Krylon. On the other hand, I didn't work in the automotive coatings side, but some general principles apply to most all coatings.
TSP (Trisodium Phosphate) cleaner followed by SEM prep and paint

nicoargentina

Reaction score
First Name
Nicolas
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Looking for input on the interior panel paints offered by LMC and USA1. Refurbishing a daily driver/work truck and need to freshen up the 1983 Carmine Red interior. Given the use the truck will get, at this time I'd rather rehab my sun bleached door panels, etc., then buy new.

Are they similar products? The LMC Colorbond paint is in general colors (Red, Blue, etc.) while USA1 is listed as actual OEM color (1981-87 Carmine Red).

How well do they match original interior parts? What about durability? I came across a past post where someone had repainted a door panel and the finish was starting to bubble.

Thanks!
question, can't you prepare the color in polyester bilayer for automobiles in a paint shop, here they prepare it for me with a sample of the same tone, then I paint and that's it

Attachments

• 20211026_202543.jpg
    20211026_202543.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20211026_144601.jpg
    20211026_144601.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20211023_150250.jpg
    20211023_150250.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG-20220303-WA0051.jpg
    IMG-20220303-WA0051.jpg