GM old paint codes and does color tones still match?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JukkaV

Reaction score
First Name
Jukka
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
350 D
I’m wondering how the old GM paint codes match to new paints (color tones)?

I have a Chevy C10 1981 Scottsdale. Paint is two tone “Exterior Decor Package” (RPO code ZY5) so that primary color is “Dark Chestnut Metallic” (code 65) and secondary color is “Santa Fe Tan” (code 60).

I got the car just repainted but at the first attempt the “Dark Chestnut Metallic” color tone of the paint came out too light. The paint was ordered with GM paint code WA7314 (which also match: PPG/Ditzler 3364, Dupont 379BR097, B8136, Glasurit GM-7314).

In picture 1. the pick up has it’s original paint (especially the upper part with Dark Chestnut). Middle and lower part of pick up were painted around 20 yr back with no problem.

I got the inner surface of the box painted first on professional paint shop (pics 2a and b) but the tone of Dark Chestnut didn’t match to the original tone… came out too light.

On the last pic 3, I got the whole car finally painted but the both colors (Dark Chestnut and Santa Fe Tan) were now manually selected. Closest tones compared to original paint found from the Volkswagen’s color charts..!

Has someone faced same kind of problems? or knows what’s the reason behind this kind of variation between paint tones?

Btw. the same pick up originally had a two tone tape decal striping. Stripe colors were Doeskin/Santa Fe Tan. Are those tapes still available somewhere as after market product?
Or could someone provide pic of that tape with the same color combination and what is the widht (overall & each color stripe) so I can check is it possible to get similar kind of tape done somewhere?
Anyone knows that does that "Doeskin" have a color code?

Thanks, Jukka

Attachments

• maali 1.jpg
    maali 1.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 262
  • Maali 2a.jpg
    Maali 2a.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 118
  • maali 2b.jpg
    maali 2b.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 117
  • Maali 3 IMG_8734.jpg
    Maali 3 IMG_8734.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 149

Soundmound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It depends entirely on the paint manufacturer and also the person that mixes the paint. Even with newer vehicles, it's very common to mix up a batch of paint based on the paint code and it's not a good match at all. If you are dealing with a local supplier, they will have to modify the formula, using an original sample from your truck as a guide (like the glove box door).

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If your intention was to have the truck the same color, did you not tell the painter that?
Who would paint a whole vehicle the wrong color without at least stopping and asking you?

I got the wrong color for our truck. It was right code but about as wrong as yours. Paint store just made me a new gallon from an original paint sample and apologized and saved the mix to replace with the mix ratios they had.

Plus I got a free gallon of base coat so I cheated inside the bed and base coated with the wrong shade first it was lighter blue. Saved a bunch of the right color because the right color covered much easier. Like a tinted primer.

rwjtexas

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
6.2L Diesel
Grit dog, good looking truck. I have an 85 K5 with the inverse paint Dark blue upper/ lower and light blue middle .. were your paint codes 29 Dark Blue and 21 Light Blue Met ?

I am in the process of having the paint and body done and being as faded as mine is I forgot how sharp it is.

Just curious if the paint codes were the same.
Thanks,

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Grit dog, good looking truck. I have an 85 K5 with the inverse paint Dark blue upper/ lower and light blue middle .. were your paint codes 29 Dark Blue and 21 Light Blue Met ?
Thanks!
I am in the process of having the paint and body done and being as faded as mine is I forgot how sharp it is.

Just curious if the paint codes were the same.
Thanks,
Yes those are the codes.
And the dark blue is not metallic. However I wish it was and almost went and had some metallic mixed into it.

BadBowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
5.0L
SOME of these pin stripes CAN still be found today!!

I just finished acquiring some for our 2-tone blue 1984.

One set came from searching Ebay & the others from various GM dealers around America.

You are needing the 5-stripe, GM code "61A". This gives you 3 larger Almond stripes & 2 smaller Dark Brown stripes in the middle.

To jump start your searching, GM used PN#14072842 on the front doors & cab for example. PN#14072808 was used on LWB sides and cut-down for SWBs.

rwjtexas

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
6.2L Diesel

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
SOME of these pin stripes CAN still be found today!!

I just finished acquiring some for our 2-tone blue 1984.

One set came from searching Ebay & the others from various GM dealers around America.

You are needing the 5-stripe, GM code "61A". This gives you 3 larger Almond stripes & 2 smaller Dark Brown stripes in the middle.

To jump start your searching, GM used PN#14072842 on the front doors & cab for example. PN#14072808 was used on LWB sides and cut-down for SWBs.
They are ALL reproduced and available from several different suppliers. Point click purchase.

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
I’m wondering how the old GM paint codes match to new paints (color tones)?

I have a Chevy C10 1981 Scottsdale. Paint is two tone “Exterior Decor Package” (RPO code ZY5) so that primary color is “Dark Chestnut Metallic” (code 65) and secondary color is “Santa Fe Tan” (code 60).

I got the car just repainted but at the first attempt the “Dark Chestnut Metallic” color tone of the paint came out too light. The paint was ordered with GM paint code WA7314 (which also match: PPG/Ditzler 3364, Dupont 379BR097, B8136, Glasurit GM-7314).

In picture 1. the pick up has it’s original paint (especially the upper part with Dark Chestnut). Middle and lower part of pick up were painted around 20 yr back with no problem.

I got the inner surface of the box painted first on professional paint shop (pics 2a and b) but the tone of Dark Chestnut didn’t match to the original tone… came out too light.

On the last pic 3, I got the whole car finally painted but the both colors (Dark Chestnut and Santa Fe Tan) were now manually selected. Closest tones compared to original paint found from the Volkswagen’s color charts..!

Has someone faced same kind of problems? or knows what’s the reason behind this kind of variation between paint tones?

Btw. the same pick up originally had a two tone tape decal striping. Stripe colors were Doeskin/Santa Fe Tan. Are those tapes still available somewhere as after market product?
Or could someone provide pic of that tape with the same color combination and what is the widht (overall & each color stripe) so I can check is it possible to get similar kind of tape done somewhere?
Anyone knows that does that "Doeskin" have a color code?

Thanks, Jukka
GM had two VERY similar colors of metallic brown on the square body trucks in the early '80s. The color for '80 is more of a root beer, lighter shade, than the color for '81.
How do I know this? summer of 1981, my folks bought an '81 GMC Sierra C15, long bed,305 2 barrel, auto trans, and 3.08(I think) rear end. When the porters were taking this truck off the trailer/car hauler, they scraped the left rear fender. We had a busy auto parts store, and needed another truck besides our '78 Sierra. We'd looked at every dealer in town, ended up at Frank Gillman in SW Houston. Found this truck, had the options we wanted, but that scrape....Dad wasn't paying almost $9000 for a f'd up truck! We wanted an orange or other bright color (long story, will tell it some other time!). But this was the only truck that was otherwise everything we wanted. So the dealership said "we'll repaint that fender". Yeah they did....but the '81 metallic brown is darker and less reddish than the '80 color. So we could pick that truck out of a crowd of trucks, for the rest of its life....
And the '79 metallic brown is darker yet, almost like dark chocolate. The first square body Burb we had was a '79, in that brown with the cream color on the side. Went all over Texas in that one, plus Oklahoma, Louisiana and Arkansas a few times, for many years....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84