Gauges Paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GaK10

Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Has anyone repainted indicator marks on their OEM gauges?
I cleaned mine recently and all was fine. Not sure if the heat has anything to do with it, but some white marks and orangish warning zones have disappeared. Does anyone know of a OEM color/paint match?

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
I wonder if most of the faded ones are just needing buffed out lol. But probably not the white ones that have a bend to them. I know you can paint them too if careful

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I bought my paint and gauge faces from whitegauges.net. They have 4-5 different colors of paint and 30-40 different face colors.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
try a hobby shop. I use paint below. other colors are available. would clear coat after color. Used it on a motorcycle tach that was obviously exposed to UV. It faded a bit.

Spray a puddle in the cap, use the torn end of a paper match as a brush.

You must be registered for see images attach

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Saw a guy redo his on YouTube, he just used orange Testors model paint and a very fine tiny brush to do it. Looked pretty good.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Don't touch the gauge faces with anything. You will wipe off the paint. 100%
This. I had to be very careful around mine- at this age I found by just accidentally touching the old gauge paint that it smudges like chalk.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
This. I had to be very careful around mine- at this age I found by just accidentally touching the old gauge paint that it smudges like chalk.
I'd be afraid of compressed air even. Maybe from really far away or an air duster can lol

I learned that lesson the hard way as well.

GaK10

Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I cleaned mine, everything was fine nothing came off. I reassembled it and put it back in the truck. After a few days, some markers were gone.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
I imagine it would depend on the level of oxidation. I carefully buffed the faceplate on my 62 scout successfully. But not so well with others. The white letters smear and rub off easy.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@PrairieDrifter,
That is true. I found out the hard way when I was trying to clean the face on my shift indicator. the letters smeared right off! It freaked me out. I had to get out the model airplane paint and a fine bruish and try to repaint the letters. The other thing you can do is go to a Hobby Lobby or similar place and look for the rub on transfer lettering sheets. If not then you may have to order a sheet off line. They are called "transfer sheets". Or if you have a better art store in your town they may have them. Also, drafting supplies stores may have them. Just clean the letters off altogether and spray paint the gauge face semi-gloss and do the face from scratch. Better yet do like do like Bennyt suggests. There are all kids of ways to restore these gauges. It just depends on how patient you are or how much trouble you want to go to.

curbstone mech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
allen
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Not sure if this was mentioned but when I pain ed my needles I cut a slit in some waxed paper and slid it under the needles. Luckily I only had to dust the guage faces

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef