TV cable on a Q-Jet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
So I checked my 77 and yes it has the same lever as that pic of the newer one. Mine was from autoline but found it at the junkyard, so they probably changed that lever im thinking.

Ya so you need either a newer carb or to change the lever which would involve removing the throttle plates. The best way to remove those throttle plate screws is to turn them in until the screw head breaks off and then use vice grips or pliers to turn the screw out the back side. Ill have to look up which screws to use as a replacement.

I guess if you can find a good newer one at the junkyard that's probably the way to go. I am working on one from an 85, completely non electronic but has all the new features. I am installing throttle bushings and epoxied threaded fuel well plugs. When I get it all done I plan on posting it all with pics. might be a little while though before I get it all done.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
If you use the stock bracket then get a B&M universal TV cable I think it was $42 but it will do a better job than the factory ones and is about $40 cheaper

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
If you use the stock bracket then get a B&M universal TV cable I think it was $42 but it will do a better job than the factory ones and is about $40 cheaper

How is the universal different? I bought a stock aftermarket but I'm not really impressed with it

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
You must be registered for see images attach
[]
I think this one is TCI buts its pretty much the same thing.

There better because they have really tough construction of the cable housing and the use a compression fitting on the cable housing so you can adjust it to the length you need and then cinch it down at that fitting, theres no going back once you cinch it down though, so make sure its the correct length.

At the throttle linkage you set it again with a little sliding lock and then adjust it as per the factory adjustment method. it should set up well that way.

I had a problem with the factory cable not adjusting properly with the factory bracket. The slider would not come out when adjusting it. You need the slider to come out at least one notch to obtain a correct setting. That's how I ended up with the TCI bracket as it sits further back about an inch from the factory bracket.

Because with a universal cable you set the cable length at the throttle lever before doing the factory adjustment you should alleviate the problem I had.

The RPC cable is $5 cheaper but it is the biggest piece o crap I have ever seen

Last edited:

BADAZ chevy guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
So I checked my 77 and yes it has the same lever as that pic of the newer one. Mine was from autoline but found it at the junkyard, so they probably changed that lever im thinking.

Ya so you need either a newer carb or to change the lever which would involve removing the throttle plates. The best way to remove those throttle plate screws is to turn them in until the screw head breaks off and then use vice grips or pliers to turn the screw out the back side. Ill have to look up which screws to use as a replacement.

I guess if you can find a good newer one at the junkyard that's probably the way to go. I am working on one from an 85, completely non electronic but has all the new features. I am installing throttle bushings and epoxied threaded fuel well plugs. When I get it all done I plan on posting it all with pics. might be a little while though before I get it all done.

Or, I could grind off the end of the shaft and weld a newer plate on. I've seen it done with 2 brls before.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I would say yes except for the amount of heat needed to weld or braze would totally frig up your carb. Im afraid the answer is NO. You have to remove the shaft if you want to use your carb again.

That being said the newer 84-85 rochesters will work better anyway as they have electric choke, larger float bowls, a better power piston design and increased volume and filter size for the fuel inlet area.

As well they have a little bit better design with more bolts to hold the bodies together

You need one with good throttle shafts and non warped bodies

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
IDK I went to 2 junkers last weekend and I couldn't find any good ones

BADAZ chevy guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I would say yes except for the amount of heat needed to weld or braze would totally frig up your carb. Im afraid the answer is NO. You have to remove the shaft if you want to use your carb again.

That being said the newer 84-85 rochesters will work better anyway as they have electric choke, larger float bowls, a better power piston design and increased volume and filter size for the fuel inlet area.

As well they have a little bit better design with more bolts to hold the bodies together

You need one with good throttle shafts and non warped bodies

I like the idea of an electric choke. I just need to find the non-electric anything else. lol

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I like the idea of an electric choke. I just need to find the non-electric anything else. lol

Well it sounds like your kinda doing a rebuild on your truck anyway? no ?

If that's the case I guess you have a bit of time to look for one. Mine is from an 85 c10/305. I have one off a 350 too, but the 85/305 is a better unit so im gonna throw the jets from the 350 into the 305, although Im not sure if there is any difference in jets from 305 to 350. I will find out once I crack open the 350 one.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I think it was 86 and later that they started into the electronic stuff.

I had an 85 c10 with a 4.3 V6 built in October and it had electronic junk on the carb.

BADAZ chevy guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Well it sounds like your kinda doing a rebuild on your truck anyway? no ?
Yes, sort of. I'm trying to do a lot of things, without a lot of money and still be able to drive the truck. Plan 'A' was to drive the truck through this coming Winter and buy parts for projects next Spring. That all changed when the TH350 went out on me. I figured I was going to go to a 700R4 anyway (just not this soon) so now I'm scrambling to get it running again. And after searching for another 350, with no results, I found the 700 for $145.00 and here I am. lol

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Well that 93 if it is still in good shape is the way to go. HotRod knows about these 700r4s but I think 89-93 was the best years for these things. Like I said I have a 90 and it works great. But that TV cable will make or break it. I put a cooler up in front of the rad and bought a B&M deep sump pan and filter extension with a drain bung, just finally got the TV cable set up right and it works awesome. But I don't really tow with it much.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
The th400 uses a 32 spline out put shaft where as the TH350 and 700r4 both use the 27 splines. So with a 93 model I would say your headed in the right direction.

BADAZ chevy guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I hope so. It has a GM reman sticker on it, so it was rebuilt some time after 1993. But that's still 21 years ago.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I hope so. It has a GM reman sticker on it, so it was rebuilt some time after 1993. But that's still 21 years ago.

A reman sticker doesn't mean it was REBUILT either. Many times New Old Stock (NOS) just got a Reman Sticker slapped on it to be used for Service Replacements and it had never even been cracked open. That's what GM and Ford will do with leftovers at year model change. Call it a Reman and move it to Service Department.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btrain04