TV cable on a Q-Jet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BADAZ chevy guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Putting a '93 700R4 (4L60) in my '77 C10. I know there's special brackets for the TV cables on an Eddi and a Holly, but what about a Q-Jet? Is there a special bracket or do I plug the cable in where the kick-down cable was?

Attachments

• Side 1 B.jpg
    Side 1 B.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 92

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
I think they are the same thing

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

BADAZ chevy guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I think they are the same thing

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

The bracket or the cable? I know the cables are different and have a different purpose. What I need to know is can I use the same bracket?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
TCI 376700 cost $25 and fits perfectly on a quadjet. just put it on mine to replace the stock GM bracket that didn't quite work. the TCI relocates the cable rearward about 1 inch from the factory.

I found the stock bracket didn't allow me to adjust the cable properly because the bracket was so close to the carb that the slider would not adjust out toward the carb and I could not get the cable taught enough.

BTW GM says you MUST adjust the cable at the carburetor and at WOT the cable must be taught.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
http://www.tvmadeez.com

They have several for q-jets, just have to figure out which one you have. These kits are a little expensive but are the best way to go about it IMO....

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
[
You must be registered for see images attach
]

$25

Last edited:

BADAZ chevy guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
That was 93 when they went to 4L60-E, but there were a few straggler models that stayed 700r4. It's rare to see a 93 700r4, but they do exist but some say the 93's just got the leftover 92's so you won't find a 93 700r4 and that's possible too. But by 94, there were no 700r4's in production vehicles.

No, as far as strength, it didn't improve anything. It may be possible some operation features are better since the ECM get's to control the transmission too, but I'm not so sure myself if it's better or not. Same as anything. Pros and Cons either way.

Actually, there are 93 700R4's I just pulled one from a wrecking yard last week. Case # 3BWM434211. It links back to a 93 car or wagon with a 5.0
I pulled it from a 1990 GMC van and discovered a GM reman sticker on the bell housing.
I haven't installed it yet because of TV cable mounting issues. Bracket and geometry mainly. Plus I need to install the converter lockup wiring on the valve body.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
yes, there is small handful of passenger car models that still got the 700r4. Not trucks though that I'm aware of except for maybe some step vans or something like that. In fact Retro was telling me that Trans Ams and Z28s in 93 still got 700r4's, so I'd imagine that means the rest of the Firebird and Camaro models got the 60-E.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Actually, there are 93 700R4's I just pulled one from a wrecking yard last week. Case # 3BWM434211. It links back to a 93 car or wagon with a 5.0
I pulled it from a 1990 GMC van and discovered a GM reman sticker on the bell housing.
I haven't installed it yet because of TV cable mounting issues. Bracket and geometry mainly. Plus I need to install the converter lockup wiring on the valve body.

What carb are you running ?

I installed a TCI 376700 bracket on a qaudjet and EDDY 2101
works pretty good.
[
]

I like it cause it attaches to the carb not the manifold. So if you use spacers or higher/lower manifold height this bracket stays in the same place relative to the carb.

Last edited:

BADAZ chevy guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
What carb are you running ?

I installed a TCI 376700 bracket on a qaudjet and EDDY 2101
works pretty good.
[
]

I like it cause it attaches to the carb not the manifold. So if you use spacers or higher/lower manifold height this bracket stays in the same place relative to the carb.

Thanks for the link, MadOgre. My problems are also related to funds though. I'm heading to the wrecking yard next weekend to see if I can find a mid to late 80,s Q-Jet and the bracket to go with it. I actually need both. The 77 OEM carb I have doesn't have the correct geometry on the throttle plate.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Thanks for the link, MadOgre. My problems are also related to funds though. I'm heading to the wrecking yard next weekend to see if I can find a mid to late 80,s Q-Jet and the bracket to go with it. I actually need both. The 77 OEM carb I have doesn't have the correct geometry on the throttle plate.

Are you sure? I have a 77 Rochester 4mv and I had to install the stud for the TV cable but it bolts into the same location as the factory equipped versions. I cant remember where I got the stud from, I think I was just lucky enough to have it kicking around from some other carb.

All rochesters should have 3 locations on there throttle bracket

1 throttle cable
2 TV / kickdown cable
3 throttle return spring

Be weary of worn throttle shafts as the carb will run like crap no matter what you do to it. Or install throttle shaft bushings but its not cheap to do.

The TCI bracket was $24

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
The TV cable goes in the lower inner spot

The throttle cable goes in the middle upper spot

The throttle return spring goes in the lower outer spot

BADAZ chevy guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Here's some pics of the early and late Q-jets. Top one is like mine 1977. Bottom one has the correct geometry for a 700R4. Hooking the TV cable to the earlier model doesn't give the right 'Off throttle' pressure.

Attachments

• qjet bell crank.jpg
    qjet bell crank.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 97
  • qjet bell crank 2.jpg
    qjet bell crank 2.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 113

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Here's some pics of the early and late Q-jets. Top one is like mine 1977. Bottom one has the correct geometry for a 700R4. Hooking the TV cable to the earlier model doesn't give the right 'Off throttle' pressure.

That 77 looks just like mine. looks like the throttle plate is not rotated all the way to closed otherwise would be the same as the bottom pic

I guess you should start a new Thread BADAZ

Last edited:

BADAZ chevy guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
That 77 looks just like mine. looks like the throttle plate is not rotated all the way to closed otherwise would be the same as the bottom pic

Oh forget that I just looked at it again. something looks wonky there

I guess you should start a new post BADAZ

No. If you look closer, the bottom arm actually has a sharper curve, moving the hole forward (toward the front of the truck) about 1/8"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade