Truck Size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mibars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michal
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
Every segment of vehicles has grown up. Even small city cars like Fiat 500 or a Mini are huge compared to the generations from 50 years ago.

But in Europe a square body Chevy is still huge compared to other vehicles, being the size of a van, not a car.

In 1st picture I believe we see a RWD C10, which sits bit lower than a K10 and that Toyota is 4WD.

JBswth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
292 cubic inches
Yes they are. Had to use a new rental 1/2 ton Silverado a week ago. Was free, my car was hit and in the body shop. Way higher and larger than either of the SB.

Throttle was a suggestion, sluggish from a stop. Motor and tranny had to think a while before anything would happen. Was also sluggish switching back and forth between a V8 and V4.

Government requirements have ruined new vehicles.
I don't want any part of them, as they are not machines, they are rolling computers, and I don't want to drive a computer.

JBswth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
292 cubic inches
Coming out of Ace Hardware last weekend I saw this.

Not the best picture and probably the angle but good grief the new pickups are huge!

You must be registered for see images attach
Wow! When the 1973 trucks, Chevy/GMC, Ford, Dodge, were brand new, some were complaining about how huge they were, but that Square Body looks tiny next to that Tundra!

J.B.

JBswth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
292 cubic inches
Yes they are. Had to use a new rental 1/2 ton Silverado a week ago. Was free, my car was hit and in the body shop. Way higher and larger than either of the SB.

Throttle was a suggestion, sluggish from a stop. Motor and tranny had to think a while before anything would happen. Was also sluggish switching back and forth between a V8 and V4.

Government requirements have ruined new vehicles.
Part of the reason for the poor throttle response is the shift to foreign-style power bands - peak torque at 4,000 + RPM vs the 1,500 - 2,400 RPM our engines used to develop peak torque at. Yes, today's have astounding horsepower for a street engine, but in order to get that astounding horsepower, you have to give up low RPM torque, or, have a huge engine, and that torque is what a heavy vehicle needs to have good get-up and go.

J. B.

Old Guy Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I absolutely love new trucks.
I’m a small guy, I get behind the wheel of my F-350 dually that’s 23’ long, almost 8’ wide, has 475hp, 10 speeds with over a 1000 ft lbs of torque and suddenly I’m Jack Reacher. :)

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Pretty interesting stuff. I learned the other day why things are growing.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Pretty interesting stuff. I learned the other day why things are growing.
Vehicles are growing in size, and here, our local government is shrinking lane widths, taking lanes away, all in the name of modernization in an industrial town with tons of ag, oil, and many other industries abundant

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Part of the reason for the poor throttle response is the shift to foreign-style power bands - peak torque at 4,000 + RPM vs the 1,500 - 2,400 RPM our engines used to develop peak torque at. Yes, today's have astounding horsepower for a street engine, but in order to get that astounding horsepower, you have to give up low RPM torque, or, have a huge engine, and that torque is what a heavy vehicle needs to have good get-up and go.

J. B.
Whatever the reason it's not me.

So they develop an engine that works at higher RPM,s then to get millage add cancelling cylinders that causes all sorts of problems.

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
I would drive dad's crew occasionally after getting my license at 16. My friends joked that I should have gotten CDL's due to the length of the crew cab long bed and manual transmission. Here's a pic of my '16 2500 and dad's '79 C20 for comparison. The newer cabs are stretched both forward and aft as well as vertically.

HS
You must be registered for see images attach

JBswth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
292 cubic inches
Whatever the reason it's not me.

So they develop an engine that works at higher RPM,s then to get millage add cancelling cylinders that causes all sorts of problems.
Yup.

1lejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
1985 , 2004
Truck Model
k-1500, 2500 HD
Engine Size
350, 6.7
I really like the new Chevy and GMC trucks. Not so much the price or all the technology in them. My 85 and a new HD. I really like this Trail Boss. I would like to get a 2-door model of that model. The 2 doors aren't really practical for traveling, and or transporting grandchildren. I added the new Z-71 emblems to my truck. They cover the holes where the Silverado emblem should be. The Z-71 emblems were much cheaper, and adds some bling.:cool: I have the Trailboss decals to put on. I haven't got around to doing it yet. My be too much?:33: I guess painting the recovery hooks red would be over the top:rolleyes: . I might black out the grill.

Attachments

• 40 years difference.jpg
    40 years difference.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Nice.jpg
    Nice.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 13

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have a late model 2500 that mostly sits in the garage. Everyone has their preference for what they like to drive, I just don't foresee many 2019 Silverados sitting in a guy's garage around 2050 getting a restoration.

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
I just don't foresee many 2019 Silverados sitting in a guy's garage around 2050 getting a restoration.
I agree with that statement as well. With all the electronics and emissions junk that are on newer vehicles, they are pretty much manufactured to go for 300K miles and then be junked. I've said many times that nobody is ever going to raise a garage door and say "It's a Tesla! My dream car"! I believe the industry is continuing to make it extremely difficult to maintain an older vehicle and if they make them disposable after a certain time period or mileage threshold then Big Brother can put the zap on it and disable remotely.
Long live hydrocarbons and carburetors!

HS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dancuvelier