Tow Trucks, Wreckers and Car Hauler Discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

73 Trans Am. Been sitting in storage for the last 5 years.

1970-72. 1973s did not have the stripe down the middle, they had the big fire chicken. The 455HO was not available either, it was either the regular 455 or 455 SD.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So you have the 8 point tie down going on. I'm not a fan of Jerr Dan, but some really love those Shark beds.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
All I've used, don't know anything else. :shrug:

At least you know the right one if that's all there is to know. Very time consuming though. I only use that, and actually only use 4 point D ring strap down when an 8 point is needed. Normally I use the cluster hooks on the bridle, and cluster hook rear chains with safety chain on the front. I only use the strap method when I had to like on Mercedes, Land Rovers, BMW's and cars that don't supply hook points.

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
I shouldn't say it's all I know. We both know there is no one size fits all solution. Those straps are always set up on my deck though, ready to go. I don't have to use anything else very often. I run straps through wheels on occasion, but I am not a fan of that. That's just me though.

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
End of shift call for a H-D impound. Turns out it belongs to a senior Bandito member. Glad I took care to secure his bike VERY CAREFULLY. The deputy serving the warrant was sweating it as well but the dude handled it really well.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I hate bike calls. Such a PITA to load them. Usually a 2 man job. 1 to hold the bike, and 1 to operate the bed.

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
I haven't been around much lately. The company I've been working for was set up as a 4 man operation. A year and a half ago one of the guys dropped to very part time. This meant we were down to 3.5 guys to run this 24/7 operation. Almost 3 months ago the boss fires the night and weekend guy over a BS invoice. It was a bad call and he had no proof to back up his position but he was the boss and decided to carefully aim at his foot and pull the trigger. The incident in question was over a month old by the time he fired the guy and so he had plenty of time to line up a new driver. Granted, tow drivers aren't just lying around waiting for calls but if you make no effort to find one you won't.

In the last, almost 3 months since then we have had the boss, myself, and one very part time guy. There is still no ad out for help wanted. The boss has taken all kinds of time off, leaving me to keep things running. When I ask for time off, I either get attitude or guilt tripped. He takes a 5 day trip to go to the races in California (on the company dime) but begrudges me the time I had put in for Thanksgiving long before he shot himself in the foot.

The straw that broke the Camel's back was when I had something come up and needed to take a weekend off on kinda short notice. He starts off guilt tripping me about the short notice, then in the very next breath tells me he needs a bunch of time off because he has family coming in to town.

I get he is the boss and he can do what he wants, but when I put more time and effort into his business than he appears to it gets old. Every time I have taken time off during this time, he has tried to call me out anyway.

This morning I did something I've never done before. I walked into the shop and turned in my gear with no notice. He said two weeks would have been nice. I asked what difference it would have made, he couldn't hire 1 person in almost 3 months how is he going to hire 2 in 2 weeks?

Allowing myself to be used that way, that long turned me into a very angry person. I no longer liked the person I had become and it was affecting my family life. I walked away from my job without having anything firm lined up, yet I have a sense of freedom and relief that I haven't had for a very long time.

Today, I am no longer a tow driver. I have all the respect in the world for those that do the job, but that is not a ojb I will look forward to again.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I haven't been around much lately. The company I've been working for was set up as a 4 man operation. A year and a half ago one of the guys dropped to very part time. This meant we were down to 3.5 guys to run this 24/7 operation. Almost 3 months ago the boss fires the night and weekend guy over a BS invoice. It was a bad call and he had no proof to back up his position but he was the boss and decided to carefully aim at his foot and pull the trigger. The incident in question was over a month old by the time he fired the guy and so he had plenty of time to line up a new driver. Granted, tow drivers aren't just lying around waiting for calls but if you make no effort to find one you won't.

In the last, almost 3 months since then we have had the boss, myself, and one very part time guy. There is still no ad out for help wanted. The boss has taken all kinds of time off, leaving me to keep things running. When I ask for time off, I either get attitude or guilt tripped. He takes a 5 day trip to go to the races in California (on the company dime) but begrudges me the time I had put in for Thanksgiving long before he shot himself in the foot.

The straw that broke the Camel's back was when I had something come up and needed to take a weekend off on kinda short notice. He starts off guilt tripping me about the short notice, then in the very next breath tells me he needs a bunch of time off because he has family coming in to town.

I get he is the boss and he can do what he wants, but when I put more time and effort into his business than he appears to it gets old. Every time I have taken time off during this time, he has tried to call me out anyway.

This morning I did something I've never done before. I walked into the shop and turned in my gear with no notice. He said two weeks would have been nice. I asked what difference it would have made, he couldn't hire 1 person in almost 3 months how is he going to hire 2 in 2 weeks?

Allowing myself to be used that way, that long turned me into a very angry person. I no longer liked the person I had become and it was affecting my family life. I walked away from my job without having anything firm lined up, yet I have a sense of freedom and relief that I haven't had for a very long time.

Today, I am no longer a tow driver. I have all the respect in the world for those that do the job, but that is not a ojb I will look forward to again.

Well, here's to a better chapter in your life :cheers:

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
I wish you the best Scott. Just remember when one door closes usually another opens up.:)

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
I've got a couple things in the works. I'm not worried at this point in time.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Sounds like bossman wanted to be a NON Working owner. That means he must hire a good manager to run things and he can sit at home and collect the profit checks if any and go travel and do his thing, but he hasn't done all his leg work yet. That would get old FAST. I've been there though. Went 9 1/2 months, no day off 24/7/365 and was the only one left one behind for Thanksgiving and Christmas while the bossman and bosslady took off out of town and 3 other trucks sat parked cuz they didn't hire anyone. Oh but hey, I got a $25 Walmart gift card to say thanks for keeping it running while they were gone 3 days of the 4 day Thanksgiving weekend and another for Christmas 3 day by myself, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and up to the late afternoon of the next day, then got told, go ahead and sleep tonight, I'll cover PD for the night. Why the **** sleep now, I haven't gotten to for the last 8 months? Don't think you're going to take my good money making PD call away from me tonight, while I ran my ass off all day doing your fuckn motor club calls.

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
This douche went so far as to take a trip to Cali to go to the races on the companies dime and left me with no support for that time. He doesn't get that employees don't like being treated like ****.

Found out that the tow side of the business has been losing $14k a month for a while. All motor club and not much else. Hasn't raised his rates in so long he can't even remember.

Showed up on a motor club call to find PD called someone else first. Other guys rates are twice his. Oh well. Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rumpity_z28