Tow Trucks, Wreckers and Car Hauler Discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It ain't that bad guys. Most of us can afford to lose a couple pounnds so it's not all that bad to go 2-3 days without eating til you can get that smell outta your memory. Also a great reminder to call your kids and tell them how much love them for no reason at all. I've called both my kids at 3am before just to be sure they were safe at home and tell them I love them and to drive careful.

Suicide vehicles are never pretty, but some are better than others. I prefer the ones where they put the gun to the side of their head and most of the matter goes out the passenger side window, over the ones where they put in thier mouth and then headrest, back seat and headliner is covered in hamburger meat and spatter and a driver seat cushion satured in blood. Those ones tend to smell bad too since no glass broke and vehicle stays closed up.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Reminds me of cadaver lab in college, we didn't refrigerate them as much as try to keep them soaking in formaldehyde. I'll never forget the smell.

Where's @RetroC10Sport when you mention this stuff.

Naw, I wouldn't want to do that. At least I don't have touch or participate in the ugly stuff I see. It does suck having to get into these vehicles sometimes but I can usually avoid having to get in them other than to get them in or out of park, or release a park brake, strap a key or remove keys and try to just reach in and not get in. Every now and then have to get in for a Park Interlock override, but it is what it is. I did have to drive one of the suicide vehicles out of a lot once. Hated it hated it. Creepy ass **** and I knew what I was sitting in.

Here's one that happened in OK last Sunday that I'm glad I didn't have to do. 3 high school seniors lost their lives. I'll assure you, there's going to be parts left in that one and I'm not talking about car parts. This one happened in CoggedBelt75's part of the state and in that small town, I'd say there is a good chance he knew of at least one of these boys or their family.

Attachments

• Altus3teensKld1.jpg
    Altus3teensKld1.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 135
  • Altus3teensKld2.jpg
    Altus3teensKld2.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 115

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
I can honestly say in the GMT400's, I'd prefer the liftgate for the reasons stew mentioned, and the glass door in the gate for the simple reach in is good. BUT, when it comes to being a Morticians ride... for christs sake, use fuggin barn doors dammit.

I had to tow a Yukon a couple months ago. I didn't think much of it just cuz it's at the OU Medical Center, til I got there and then told go around back, it's on the ramp coming up from the delivery dock. WTF??? So as I'm loading it, I'm told I have to stop off at the Mortuary and drop off a body that's in it !!! **** THIS !!! WHAT??? I'm going to have a body in this bitch bouncing around on top of a roll back??? Well yeah, he'll be good and purged by the time we get him to the Mortuary. Morticiain tells me, you don't have to unload the truck, just set the bed down and we can unload it. So he goes in, some kid comes out, the roll back is at an angle of course, the kid opens the liftgate and kaboom !!! This body comes flying out on the gurney, and it was a big guy. The kid almost didn't get the brakes on in time to keep from the dude dropping on the ground. And man oh man, was that thing ever burpin' and fartin. I said, so that's when he meant by purged. The kid says, NO, he means fluids. This one will be a mess, he'll have fluids out of every orfice of his body. Nawwww, to hell with that. I've had no issues towing body parts around in cars from car accidents, but not whole damn bodies. That sucked. No lunch that day. Moral of the story, use fukin barn doors so you can open one door at a time and maintain your bodies without them rolling off the damn truck.

Shouldn't this be in the "Who Pooped" thread?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Shouldn't this be in the "Who Pooped" thread?

Nawww, think the body was done poopin'. He was just burpin' and fartin'. Kinda stragne too, cuz the kid tightened up the strap around the bloated stomach area, and as he pulled it, it was like he was tuning a fart. As he pulled the strap fast at first and then slower toward the end, it went RIIIIP,reeeeeeeep, I was the one that about **** myself, but couldn't make up mind if I had to vomit or ****. Luckily I was able to hold both.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So how is the new job Scotty? You never returned to wrecker driving?

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
I know a guy that used to deliver bodies to the state medical examiner's office as a side job. In any event it was over an hour's drive to get there. He drove a white station wagon with black tinted windows. The body would be in a body bag strapped to a gurney. On one of his first trips down he hauled a body that had been dead awhile and rigor had set in. They had to massage the guys arm to get it down to zip the bag up. They didn't tell my buddy any of this.

So he decides to get something to drink at the local McD's before making the drive. He is sitting in line after paying when he looks in the rear view mirror. The guy's arm raises up and my buddy liked to have crapped his pants! He told me he almost jumped out of the car but couldn't get the door open because of the wall. It was pretty funny hearing him talk about it. This was back in mid 80's.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I know a guy that used to deliver bodies to the state medical examiner's office as a side job. In any event it was over an hour's drive to get there. He drove a white station wagon with black tinted windows. The body would be in a body bag strapped to a gurney. On one of his first trips down he hauled a body that had been dead awhile and rigor had set in. They had to massage the guys arm to get it down to zip the bag up. They didn't tell my buddy any of this.

So he decides to get something to drink at the local McD's before making the drive. He is sitting in line after paying when he looks in the rear view mirror. The guy's arm raises up and my buddy liked to have crapped his pants! He told me he almost jumped out of the car but couldn't get the door open because of the wall. It was pretty funny hearing him talk about it. This was back in mid 80's.

Yeah, I wouldn't like that much either. Although, once rigor has set in, you can be assured, they're not coming back to life.

It's been at least a couple of years now, I think we even discussed it on here, or maybe another forum. It was in the news that a body came back to life in the morturary fridge. Something about the mortician walking in there for something and noticed the bag moving abrubtly. Called the paramedics and it was alive and revived. Don't recall if came back to full health or not. I'd just hate to be that person. That would be scarey **** waking up and being zipped up in a cold bag. Though this one was alive, I don't beleive it was coherent yet.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Yeah, I wouldn't like that much either. Although, once rigor has set in, you can be assured, they're not coming back to life.

It's been at least a couple of years now, I think we even discussed it on here, or maybe another forum. It was in the news that a body came back to life in the morturary fridge. Something about the mortician walking in there for something and noticed the bag moving abrubtly. Called the paramedics and it was alive and revived. Don't recall if came back to full health or not. I'd just hate to be that person. That would be scarey **** waking up and being zipped up in a cold bag. Though this one was alive, I don't beleive it was coherent yet.

One of my ole co-drivers was a Vietnam vet. We were talking one time, and he told me about one of his buddies did Embalming of the soldiers that had been KIA. to send them home. He said he basically shoved two needles (the size of knitting needles) into people, one in the jugular, and the other in the bottom of the foot. Pumped the embalming fluid in, and blood comes out the foot. He said his buddy never looked at the soldiers faces. One time he got this young man that was pretty shot up, been out in the field for a couple of days before they found him. He shoved the needle in his foot just like always, and he said for some reason, he looked in the boys face, and saw a tear run down his check. He went and grabbed a DR. and the DR. felt for vital signs...couldn't feel any. He said his buddy argued with the DR, telling him dead bodies don't cry. A nurse held up a mirror to the boys nose and told his buddy."look he's not breathing" and about that time they saw a light breath of air on the mirror. They rushed him to surgery, and as far as my co-driver knew the boy went home ALIVE......

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
Got another door put on had to replace the bottom hinge and new bushings in the top. It's not lined up great but it opens and shuts

Attachments

• IMAG0395.jpg
    IMAG0395.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 123

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Rattle can dirty white it and call it a day.

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
So how is the new job Scotty? You never returned to wrecker driving?

Getting better. I have a good boss and enjoy the work. Government threw a few wrinkles at us about the time I started though so I'm just now getting close to the work load I should be at. For the most part I'm hauling cars from Canada back to the States. Right now I'm doing it with a 1 ton and 3 car trailer. The boss just made arrangements to buy an older Freightliner 9 car hauler so it looks like I'll be doing the big rig thing again soon. Guess you could say I'm still towing cars, just without all the risk now. :)

Stewzer55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
350 TBI
You must be registered for see images attach

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That's pretty cool. Speaking of, Wednesday night in TX a driver got hit and is in critical condition, and another got hit and killed in AL. Young 27yo father.

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
putting together another wrecker. the bed is beat up but functions good and the price was right 500 bucks for the bed. its an old holmes 440-1 with a wheel lift.

I had already put a tbi 350/nv4500 in the truck and had been running a flat bed on it.

got the bed mounted and now need to get a new pto and pump. and start making it look better it is pretty ugly right now

less than 1500 in the truck so far

Attachments

• 13680830_1220697394627509_2884751966733784442_n.jpg
    13680830_1220697394627509_2884751966733784442_n.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 103

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
Dead thread? I started a group for square body wreckers on facebook buy sell trade talk whatever
Squarebody wreckers join if you have a square wrecker

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK