Tow Trucks, Wreckers and Car Hauler Discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
1970-72. 1973s did not have the stripe down the middle, they had the big fire chicken. The 455HO was not available either, it was either the regular 455 or 455 SD.

455 SD was no slouch either. I think the SD to HO was just a change in terminology wasn't it? And IIRC the 455SD was more commonly found in the GTO Judge.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If he's losing all that, you're lucky to have been getting paid and the checks cash. That's why I had to leave the company that provided the nicest truck I ever worked. ******* me outta of money due to no profit, paying bi weekly as it was, then making us wait what they said was until Tuesday for the auction car portion of our and check and ended up being the next Friday. I was getting utilites shut off due to their lies, then when they quit paying cash and went to checks I was like uh oh, OH and don't cash that until Monday, and the damn thing still didn't cash, **** THAT. 2 months of that **** I was out. ANd I still got fuct, they just make up a damage claim from Agero and say they're not paying. ********.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
455 SD was no slouch either. I think the SD to HO was just a change in terminology wasn't it? And IIRC the 455SD was more commonly found in the GTO Judge.

The SD was a bit different than the HO. The HO was a powerhouse for the street, the SD was basically a detuned race engine with forged rods, extra webbing on the block, better heads and set up for a dry sump oiling system.

The SD was never offered in the GTO, it was supposed to be available in the LeMans and GTO in 1973 but never happened. CARS magazine still gave car of the year to a GTO that never was, one with a 455SD and ram air.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The SD was a bit different than the HO. The HO was a powerhouse for the street, the SD was basically a detuned race engine with forged rods, extra webbing on the block, better heads and set up for a dry sump oiling system.

The SD was never offered in the GTO, it was supposed to be available in the LeMans and GTO in 1973 but never happened. CARS magazine still gave car of the year to a GTO that never was, one with a 455SD and ram air.

hmmm, I won't doubt you. For some reason I was about certain the SD came in the GTO Judge. I know it was rare and knew it had a tough bottom end. I had looked for one at one time when I was racing Pontiacs and Olds, but pretty much gave up on knowing it was so rare.

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels

Cross thread contamination @HotRodPC

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Now that I think of it, the reason I may think the SD came in GTO Judge's is one of the racers back in the day in So Cali, had a GTO Judge and he DID have an SD in his car. FAST MuthaFkr too. So it obviously just wasn't the factory block and heads.

Well I say fast. You know fast back in the early to mid and late 80's isn't fast today. The guys running 11 second cars on the street, they were fast. Trailered car guys, the FASSSSSST of the Fastest were 9 second cars. That's slow **** these days.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Cross thread contamination @HotRodPC

Yeah Pretty Much !!! But get off my ass. :happy175: It's Retro's fault for talking about that car someone posted on their tow truck, so he's the guilty one and fuct up the tow thread. :sorry:

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
Get off your ass nothing! You encouraged it and continued it in spite of knowing better. Don't go blaming someone else for your actions.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You think he's ready for a timeout Retro? He's being mean to me. He hasn't my feeling yet though so maybe we'll let it slide this time?

Hurt my feelings? :happy175:

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
Sorry. My wonderful customer service skills went right down the ******* over the last couple months. Your feelings don't mean much to me right now. :sorry: :angels2:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
LOL

Sent from the *******

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Sorry. My wonderful customer service skills went right down the ******* over the last couple months. Your feelings don't mean much to me right now. :sorry: :angels2:

Oh don't be sorry. I think you missed the point. Ain't no hurting my feelings !!!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Nah, You missed the point. My customer service skills suck right now. I really don't give a ****. :D

I gathered that from the post about quitting your job. BUT, you gotta let it go and don't let the old boss have FREE rent in your head and *** other potential opportunities you might be looking at. You also have to admit, while it wasn't always fun, it was a ride worth taking an experience you'll talk about years to come, and never know, you might just end up back in the business. I was in it in the late 80's for 1.5 years, just driving a 79 Ford Holmes 440 with friggin Pan Dollies for a car lot moving car from auctions to the lot and picking up broke down cars that were given a 30 day warranty. Granted, **** didn't need dollied backthen, not even 4x4's, except maybe Suburu IIRC, cuz AWD didn't really exist, most cars were RWD and FWD was starting to get popular. After that, got into construction, never seen myself driving a tow truck. Never did again until almost 20 years later after a divorce, 1 kid grown up, the other almost grown up but living with his mother. You can always fall back on it later in life if need be.

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
I gathered that from the post about quitting your job. BUT, you gotta let it go and don't let the old boss have FREE rent in your head and *** other potential opportunities you might be looking at. You also have to admit, while it wasn't always fun, it was a ride worth taking an experience you'll talk about years to come, and never know, you might just end up back in the business. I was in it in the late 80's for 1.5 years, just driving a 79 Ford Holmes 440 with friggin Pan Dollies for a car lot moving car from auctions to the lot and picking up broke down cars that were given a 30 day warranty. Granted, **** didn't need dollied backthen, not even 4x4's, except maybe Suburu IIRC, cuz AWD didn't really exist, most cars were RWD and FWD was starting to get popular. After that, got into construction, never seen myself driving a tow truck. Never did again until almost 20 years later after a divorce, 1 kid grown up, the other almost grown up but living with his mother. You can always fall back on it later in life if need be.

Sorry, my sarcasm isn't translating through text. The reason for leaving my job was the boss was living full time in my head. The change in my life since I left Monday is incredible. When the subject of him comes up, I still get a bit worked up, but it quickly turns to humor as I don't have to live it anymore.

I will still be in transportation. I'll be hauling cars to auction for a former client. He is already setting up health insurance for the family, something I haven't had since our Dear Leader decided to make it compulsory. Nice thing is I don't have to worry about roadside emergencies and putting myself in harms way for peanuts.

Bottom line is I am happier than I have been in a very long time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cbass91120