Tire Rotation Discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Let's hear it guys. :005:

What do you recommend or practice if at all with tire rotation. I got those new BFG's starting to show a funny pattern on the front, so I want to rotate them out next oil change. Just go front to back? The backs are nice and square and perfectly worn across. The fronts are starting to get pretty saw toothed, they get beat up tight steering with the boat on the back every day and the saggy ass on the truck don't help either I am sure. :shitsweak:

I really wish I had a spare to put into the rotation also, I hope to have one next spring if all goes as planned. I'd say I got about 2,000-2,500 miles on them right now.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I've always heard on 4wds you cross the fronts to the back, then move the backs straight to the front. You need an alignment bubba! :waytogo:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I've always heard on 4wds you cross the fronts to the back, then move the backs straight to the front. You need an alignment bubba! :waytogo:

I would like to learn how to do it myself, anybody do their own alignments on 4x4 straight axles?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I do mine, by measuring the inside of the tire in front of and behind the axle, at the bulge area of the sidewall. Get them within 1/4" of each other (front toed in further than rear) and you're good enough to get you to an alignment shop. Good enough for whatever with my tires lol.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

That's how I always rotate my tires. It's worked well for me so far.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Just rotate them front to back. I've heard about the cris crossing them but I'm too lazy :lol: ...and x2 on that alignment

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
From one Burb guy to another, always cross them. There's never a good reason to keep them on the same side. There's so much weight at all four corners that all four tires wear in the same direction, braking. The fronts see even more wear from cornering forces. I always always cross rotate based on tire wear, except I will occasionally swap the fronts and leave the rears in place.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Thanks Bucket. I'll have to get pics of the back ones. They look untouched compared to the front, nice and flat and even. You can see I still have the little mold nips still on there. :)

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yep, the rears will still look great. If you leave them there for a while, you will see them just barely wear in a similar way as the front. That's why you need to cross rotate. If you just go front-back, the rear tires (that were on the front) will just keep wearing in the same pattern.

After you rotate and drive enough that the front tires are getting a pattern in them, you may find that the rears aren't yet worn in a smooth pattern. That's when you want to swap the fronts and keep driving.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Yep, the rears will still look great. If you leave them there for a while, you will see them just barely wear in a similar way as the front. That's why you need to cross rotate. If you just go front-back, the rear tires (that were on the front) will just keep wearing in the same pattern.

After you rotate and drive enough that the front tires are getting a pattern in them, you may find that the rears aren't yet worn in a smooth pattern. That's when you want to swap the fronts and keep driving.
I just took these tonight:

Back:

You must be registered for see images

Front:

You must be registered for see images

upload images

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
Off topic: What size tire?

bobehud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
91' with early 80's drivetrain
Truck Model
Suburban K3500
Engine Size
454 carbed
they look to have a little chop as well...how old are your shocks..?

Also on rotations we (WE being people eho work on cars for a living) had stopped the criss=cross thing several years ago.If all things being equal and the front end is good and tight it is not needed.BUT if they arent rotated on a regulare basis (6K-8K)...it would be the customers call .

Are the tires noisy yet..?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theshawnR