Tire Rotation Discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
they look to have a little chop as well...how old are your shocks..?

Also on rotations we (WE being people eho work on cars for a living) had stopped the criss=cross thing several years ago.If all things being equal and the front end is good and tight it is not needed.BUT if they arent rotated on a regulare basis (6K-8K)...it would be the customers call .

Are the tires noisy yet..?

Yeah, years ago the criss-cross was supposed to be bad for the tires, but with modern radials, it doesn't hurt them one bit. In most cases, the simple front-back works just fine. BUT, on a heavy Suburban with tall tread blocks (like an aggressive AT/MT tire), the goofy wear in the front comes from the tread blocks trying to roll over during turning and braking. Take my Burb for example. With new tires, new shocks, new springs, new ball joints, etc, I had to rotate those MT's every 1K to keep the fronts from wearing funny. Once the tires were broke in a bit and the tread not quite as tall, they didn't need rotated as often.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I do want shocks, they look like they been there a while.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
New shocks would make your burb ride like new again john :)

bobehud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
91' with early 80's drivetrain
Truck Model
Suburban K3500
Engine Size
454 carbed
When i did mine found three different shock on the damn thing..Put Rancho 5000 shocks and steering shock.

I rotate mine every other oil change about 5-6K..so far so good..but i finally balanced those heavy bastards..look at the of my r front it took about 3 oz. to get it right. Still get just a hint between 65/70.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
New shocks would make your burb ride like new again john :)

There is a whole laundry list of **** that would make this truck like new again, lol!!!! :wave:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
There is a whole laundry list of **** that would make this truck like new again, lol!!!! :wave:

Yes, but new shocks would = less "laundry" on the list :lol:

:wave:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
You've done rear shocks, haven't you?

Yeah, those coil over jobies. I hope someday to bag the rear and put regular shocks, or add a leafs in the rear, probably add a leafs, less **** to work on. I want those Monroe Sensa tracs all the way around, I got the yellow ones right now but they are pretty old.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
Just went through this with mine. Normally I go front-to-rear on the same side. But we were on an 8 day road trip, camping along the way, and I noticed the outside of the fronts were getting all saw toothed. Pulled into an alignment place and had them reset the toe, and do a cross rotation. I'm glad I caught it when I did.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Just went through this with mine. Normally I go front-to-rear on the same side. But we were on an 8 day road trip, camping along the way, and I noticed the outside of the fronts were getting all saw toothed. Pulled into an alignment place and had them reset the toe, and do a cross rotation. I'm glad I caught it when I did.

I think the sagging rear and boat on the back, this just wants to push forward steering tight, especially at the ramp. Got an oil change coming up in another 1k miles, going to go front to back on both sides. Hopefully in the spring I can get some cash together for some rear add a leafs and get this thing leveled out, that should help.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
Mine was down in the rear when I first bought it. Luckily, there was one in the local yard that was someone's baby. It had a huge set of rear springs, and a monster rear sway bar. I snapped all of it up and put it on mine.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Mine was down in the rear when I first bought it. Luckily, there was one in the local yard that was someone's baby. It had a huge set of rear springs, and a monster rear sway bar. I snapped all of it up and put it on mine.

Nice. I'd like to get my hands on a rear sway bar as well.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Just to throw it out here, I was just breezing through the 'ol Haynes manual and it said to rotate front to back on same sides like Bucket mentioned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djisurfli