tbi to carb?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coreys87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
corey
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500
Engine Size
want to convert my 87k10 for tbi to carb. how hard is it being that its a tbi from the factory?

Bagged Dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
CUMMINS 12 valve
Going to need a carb type distributor from what I've been told about this swap. Also I found that you won't need a new intake if your engine is like mine. Mine has a factory adapter plate between the intake and the TBI unit. Mines a 454 though so I'm not sure about the small blocks. Not sure if I've missed anything. If I have I'm sure someone will correct me, but if I was going to start that swap I'd have these parts on hand.
carb, Possibly an intake, Fuel pressure regulator, some fuel line, a new dizzy, any parts you might need to make the choke work, and see if anything needs done with the harness' that run to your TBI unit now.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
I'd check emissions laws first thing. NY has some strict laws I recall.

Other than that, pretty straight forward...Swap intakes, you should be able to run the same gas tank, just switch lines - inlet - return and vice versa. At least that's how we used to do FI to carb. Distributor will likely have to be changed.

coreys87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
corey
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500
Engine Size
i dont care about emmissions. im not even running any cats. lol, got some friends to inspect it..

Bagged Dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
CUMMINS 12 valve
That's how I am also. I just got done ditching all of my emissions also. If you don't care about emissions and want a carb I say go for it. If you do the carb swap let us know how it turns out.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Switch the intake (SBC doesn't use a TBI adapter), install a vac advance distributor and a return-style fuel pressure regulator, then bolt on the carb of your choice. I like a Holley.

coreys87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
corey
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500
Engine Size
Seems straight forward. Theres no wires I have to worry about that go to the throttlebody?

proddy2008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado 3500 dually
Engine Size
350/sm465/d70hd
yep easy swap your sbc might even have a provision for mechanical fuel pump, one step further and like 40 buks i think cant remember last time i had one go out lol you can find intake carb and hei dizzy at junkyard for id guess around 100 bucks if you wana run a quad then get one off a station wagon if i remember right they had most accesories get all he brackets too your tbi ones may or may not work, just depends, but thats the eisiest way

Lost in Texas

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
I have done a few of these swaps they are really pretty simple. The accessory setup will work just fine off of your throttle body truck. You will have to replace the intake manifold to accommodate your new carb.

The 87 model engine might have a block off plate on the engine that you can remove and install a mechanical fuel pump but most that year do not. You can use the factory pump and a fuel regulator. Since the factory pump only made a max of like 16 PSI it can be a cheap regulator.

The distributor will need to be replaced with an older pre-smog HEI. Your factory spark plug wires will fit. You will have to adapt the power wire from the small cap distributor you are running, it is not a direct plug in.

The factory throttle cable will fit, but you will need a new or different cable bracket.

If your transmission has lock-up, and it probably does, you can just leave it unhooked or you can use a kit to make it still work. Pinless Wiring has a kit to retain the lockup.

coreys87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
corey
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500
Engine Size
if my tranny has lockup?

Lost in Texas

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
If it has a lock up style torque convertor. You can tell if it has a four wire connection near the front of the tranny.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If it's the stock (auto) tranny, it will have lock up. A 700r4 needs it working or there will be carnage after some miles. A TH350 won't care if the lock-up no longer functions.

Lost in Texas

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
The circuit for a TH350C and a 700R4 are exactly the same. Either can be run without lockup connected.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The circuit for a TH350C and a 700R4 are exactly the same. Either can be run without lockup connected.

Yes, but running a 700r4 without the lockup WILL kill it. It may take several thousand miles, but it WILL kill it.

coreys87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
corey
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500
Engine Size
i got a sm465

Latest posts

Forum statistics