Should i fix the TBI or go to carb? And what's this wire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
That looks pretty good I would relocate the filter into the vertical drop from the tank to the pump so filter inlet would be up filter outlet would be down that way my filter would be a 1/4 cup fuel reservoir. But looks good.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
That looks pretty good I would relocate the filter into the vertical drop from the tank to the pump so filter inlet would be up filter outlet would be down that way my filter would be a 1/4 cup fuel reservoir. But looks good.
Thanks.
Might try to do that.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Okay, got everything hooked up and bolted down, whatcha think? See any issues with that?
You must be registered for see images attach

Also found almost the exact same pump in my carb cabinet, works too. So im going to keep that in the glovebox as extra.
your clamps and the ability of your filter to rub (and hoses) on top of the tank . some kind of positive hold down that grabs the hose between check valve and filter would probably handle that EZ.
Also what SAE number is that fuel line?

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
your clamps and the ability of your filter to rub (and hoses) on top of the tank . some kind of positive hold down that grabs the hose between check valve and filter would probably handle that EZ.
Also what SAE number is that fuel line?
Im not too worried about the lines or filter rubbing, but thats not a bad idea. I do have some armor casing that fits that size line well, ill probabaly put over it. The filter i change every year or 2, so no worries on that, but i might make a hold down.

3/8s on all. Factory metal fuel line is 3/8 as are the fittings on the pump and the hoses..

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Im not too worried about the lines or filter rubbing, but thats not a bad idea. I do have some armor casing that fits that size line well, ill probabaly put over it. The filter i change every year or 2, so no worries on that, but i might make a hold down.

3/8s on all. Factory metal fuel line is 3/8 as are the fittings on the pump and the hoses..
Lol, all I can say. SAE number? ****.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Society of Automotive Engineers i believe.

Aka the American measuring system, apposed to the Metric system.
look at the hose you cut it off of or wipe it and look at the hose itself. what is the SAE Number on the hose.

SAE J 30 __ should be the SAE numbeer, may be spaces or not, the J may not be there. SAE should and so should 30 and then

heres just a small chart.

becasuee im trying to make surey ou have fuel injection fuel hose and that you use fuel injection clamps, its not that high of PSI but it will prevent leaks and make your pump not have to fight a loss on its end if it came up. but a return line wouldnt have to be that. they are also Ethanol rated hoses now. definitely want those

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
look at the hose you cut it off of or wipe it and look at the hose itself. what is the SAE Number on the hose.

SAE J 30 __ should be the SAE numbeer, may be spaces or not, the J may not be there. SAE should and so should 30 and then

heres just a small chart.

becasuee im trying to make surey ou have fuel injection fuel hose and that you use fuel injection clamps, its not that high of PSI but it will prevent leaks and make your pump not have to fight a loss on its end if it came up. but a return line wouldnt have to be that. they are also Ethanol rated hoses now. definitely want those
Oh okay, didnt know that part.

Well I can tell you its defiantly fuel hose, meant for gas, but it is not FI hose. But this pump willonly put out a max of 8 psi, i dont think thatll cause an issue.

Ill look tomorrow though

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Oh okay, didnt know that part.

Well I can tell you its defiantly fuel hose, meant for gas, but it is not FI hose. But this pump willonly put out a max of 8 psi, i dont think thatll cause an issue.

Ill look tomorrow though
the pulsing of the fuel pump will shorten that hose life and the pressure, albeit not that high, may appreciate injection hose especially if it comes to resisting expansion even a little, id think

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
the pulsing of the fuel pump will shorten that hose life and the pressure, albeit not that high, may appreciate injection hose especially if it comes to resisting expansion even a little, id think
Ill look into that, thanks.

I went with that fuel linei have, because i can get it for like $2 a foot at TSC, but the same line at the auto parts store is like $15.99 for 2 feet rolled up. Bet the FI line is more.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Ill look into that, thanks.

I went with that fuel linei have, because i can get it for like $2 a foot at TSC, but the same line at the auto parts store is like $15.99 for 2 feet rolled up. Bet the FI line is more.
You can order some :)

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I cant, i dont order things. Dont have a computer, and dont trust my phone. But i could have my buddy do it i guess
If you have anyone that can get auto parts at cost like who runs a shop you could get a length through them. Idk the cost but it will probably be more because of the robust nature compared to low pressure stuff

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Hey, @Ricko1966 got a question for you (or anyone else that wants to share).
Seems like you know your electrical.

I working on wiring my fuel pump for this truck. I was originally just going to run a switch with an inline fuse, and call it done, but then i read a bit you wrote on relays and thought maybe thats the way to go.
So my quesion would be what woukd you suggest?
Either power to a fuse, fuse to switch, and switch to pump, or run a relay?
Also my question is, if i run a relay, do i run a fuse too? If i do, would you run it before the relay or after? Also, does the signal wire/switched power need a fuse, or is the draw detremind by the relay and/or gauge wire.
Also, what gauge wires would you suggest? Im totally out of wore right now, need to go get some. So far, i have 14gauge running from the pump to the cab, and now im out.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I'd use a relay I wrote this up for somebody already with part numbers. Ps 64 chevrolet vega oil pressure switch. Plumb it in to block above oil filter. 3 terminals on switch p,I and s, s to starter solenoid,p to fuel pump positive. I to terminal 87 on a 4 or 5 prong relay terminal 30 of relay to 20 amp fuse, other side of fuse to battery. 85 to keyed 12v, 86 to ground.. 14 gauge will be fine. Make sure your pump has a good ground and make sure all connections to 30 and 87 as well as at the pump are good 12v pumps don't play nice with compromised voltage.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-02-07_154817.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-02-07_154817.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laqota