Should i fix the TBI or go to carb? And what's this wire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Well i haven't gotten to there quite yet, i gotta crawl underneath to see where i have room and such. Plan on going out of the sender unit, i to the check valve immediately, and into the filter, which will be probabaly just sitting there. I was thinking of mouting the pump on the top of the truck frame rail, under the bed frame, right where the bolt for the old sender unit ground was, so it will be a straight 2in shot right to the old fuel line hookups, wouldn't have to modify much. So basically like my crappy little picture, but the pump down a bit, fist with the top of the tank.
Itll have only the height of the tank to pull fuel from. Which no matter how i do it, it will have to anyway, becase of the sender unit shape.

Thats my preliminary plan anyway, will have to crawl underneath and look at it closer, but i think that'll work. What you think?
READ POST 103 throughly. I can find you 100 more telling you where you should mount the pump. Told you how I did mine.
Pump should be lower than fuel level if you don't believe me,maybe you'll believe summit and holley. I can get more if you need.

Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
The pump manufacturers all recommend pump lower than fuel level. I'm not going to try to outsmart their engineers.Especially when one of the noted consequences is premature pump failure. I've had enough trouble with electric pumps. I won't push my luck.Thats why I got so creative on my last install. So far it's worked great,most life I've ever gotten out of an electric pump and I've had more than my fair share fail that failed.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

Down
Download load the summit instructions download the jegs instructions download the Holley instructions .Again I'm not going to try to reinvent the manufacturer mounting instructions.Maybe there will be no problem,maybe there will,why chance it he can mount it in his glovebox if he wsnts.its his truck.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-12-31_105740.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-12-31_105740.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
In my opinion his pump will always be working harder. Its lifting fuel,just to have fuel to push. Lower than fuel level it will only have to lift enough to start a siphon,then the pump will be siphon fed.
EDIT

Just for fun I just now google searched electric fuel pump mounting location. 10 results I didn't read the last one but the first 9 said mount the pump low,I didn't read the last one,didn't watch any of the videos.

Last edited:

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
OK, but you are "lifting" it to get it to the top of the tank thru the sender?? Why not just keep "pushing" it?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Because his pump is always going to have to lift morefuel,it's never going to develop a siphon. So his pump has to push and pull,instead of siphon and push.

Last edited:

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
@Ricko1966

I did read your post (s).

My issue with that was, as Perry said, isnt it already pulling 10in up from the bottom of the tank?
But you answered that in saying that its creating a siphon.... but, as your also said, as did my instruction booklet,it shouldn't be farther than 2 feet from the fuel sorce, and getting it below the tank will be pushing about 2 feet total line to the pump.
Does the siphon effect cancel the distance, because its getting fuel pushed to it and not pulling?

Once again, I've never done an electric pump on anything ever, so first timer newb ******* here, sorry.
I thank you for all your usful info, i havent over looked any of it, just trying to figired it out myself also.
Your far more experienced than I. I thank you for the insight.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
The pump manufacturers all recommend pump lower than fuel level. I'm not going to try to outsmart their engineers.Especially when one of the noted consequences is premature pump failure. I've had enough trouble with electric pumps. I won't push my luck.Thats why I got so creative on my last install. So far it's worked great,most life I've ever gotten out of an electric pump and I've had more than my fair share fail that failed.
Do you have an inline fuel pump like mine on a squarebody? If so, id love to see how its mounted and looks.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I do and Mines not far from the tank. I told you how I did mine several post back. I don't have a pic. Try to get 1 Tuesday for you. I bolted a piece of thin plate to the bottom of the frame rail. Like a little shelf mounted my pump on tha,next to the tank

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I do have 1 on my square I made a little shelf out of plate bolted to the frame rail,next to the tank.Large fuel filter mounted vertically as a fuel reservoir on the inlet side. Outlet side has an upside down drip loop so my pump always has fuel in it,never a dry start,never loses prime. Try to get you a pic tuesday

Mines been on there since October 2020 maybe a little earlier.

Last edited:

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
When you have a whole bunch of folks giving a whole bunch of advice and it doesn't all match it's pretty difficult to follow all of that advice. Everyone here has the very best of intentions, everyone wants Ayden to Do What They Recommend. We all like him, we all want to help him.

Maybe try not to get so impatient with him if he isn't following EXACTLY the advice you gave. He is trying to Do The Right Thing and the rest of us are too.

I surely overlooked some of the important stuff in some of the posts, this thread has gone on for 8 pages now. That is a LOT of information to absorb.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
I do have 1 on my square I made a little shelf out of plate bolted to the frame rail,next to the tank.Large fuel filter mounted vertically as a fuel reservoir on the inlet side. Outlet side has an upside down drip loop so my pump always has fuel in it,never a dry start,never loses prime. Try to get you a pic tuesday

Mines been on there since October 2020 maybe a little earlier.
I like that idea, that makes sense. I try to copy that.
Ill crawl under it tomorrow, and how free the inside of the framerail is.
I might even try to make a little weather proof box that everything can go in.

Ill make sure to post my final setup, before final install, see what you all think of it.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Sorry to everyone and anyone I sounded like a d!Ck to. I won't try to explain it,that would be an explanation not an apology.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128