TBI to Carb 1991 V2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big91burb

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500 Scottsdale
Engine Size
So can you use an adapter cable to obd2 then use an obd2 Bluetooth adapter? Or is there an OBD1 Bluetooth adapter

big91burb

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500 Scottsdale
Engine Size
I'm not saying I'd rather have TBI than carb right now but I am intrigued hahahaahah.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
Getting ALDLDroid from the Google playstore (about $20) and an OBD1 Bluetooth ALDL reader from 1320 electronics or Red Devil River (about $90) is what I recommend. I think 1320 may also have a free app you can use.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Tbi is dirt simple,very reliable and drivabilty and milage will be better with tbi. I'll take TBI over carbureted anyday,unless I'm running a lot of camshaft.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
P.s. yes I have replaced tbi with a qjet,once because I was too lazy to chase down the parts I needed to make my tbi work with the engine I swapped. More headaches and hassles to make the carb fuel pump,and old school hei work than it was worth. And didn't have as good of set up when I was done as if I had just reworked the tbi.

big91burb

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Saying setup drivability wise or reliability wise? And let me ask this, if you where going on a road trip what kinda parts would you take for possible TBI issues? I usually try and stay prepared and bring parts that I think might strand me. Belts, hoses, fluids, tire repair, etc.... I know there's towing out there and I do have a 100mile tow plan but who wants to wait on the side of the road! Or worse on a dirt road trail if going out camping or something.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
Saying setup drivability wise or reliability wise? And let me ask this, if you where going on a road trip what kinda parts would you take for possible TBI issues? I usually try and stay prepared and bring parts that I think might strand me. Belts, hoses, fluids, tire repair, etc.... I know there's towing out there and I do have a 100mile tow plan but who wants to wait on the side of the road! Or worse on a dirt road trail if going out camping or something.

a spare ignition control module is about all I carry that is TBI specific. and then the normal stuff - fuses, fluids, bulbs, hoses, wires, etc.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'd definitely stick with TBI for a stockish motor. One of the reasons I bought my '90 was to get the TBI 454 over a carb. In theory it should have better mpg, better manners, etc.

TBI is pretty darn reliable and cheap to fix when needed. I knew a few guys that carry spare computers just in case and you can pick those up for a $100 if you plan ahead.

big91burb

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500 Scottsdale
Engine Size
You can get a copied computer? I kinda figured they would need the existing to get the Vin out of it?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Everything wise. TBI is almost bullet proof most common failure is fuel pump IMHO. TBI gets good milage starts right up and drives good no matter what the outside temp, it compensates for barometric pressure. I was just too lazy to swap the TBI onto the carbureated. engine I was installing. So I had to regulate the fuel pressure run old school hei. So my timing and fuel control were not as good as if I'd run TBI. So drivability and milage took a hit, not a giant hit, but why spend any time or money to take any kind of hit.

KnuckleBuster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Floyd
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I agree that TBI is almost bullet proof. I love the Quadrajet but wouldn't swap from TBI on a daily driver. Easy to work on and pretty much trouble free, as long as you stick with GM factory parts. I've probably worked on thousands of these and absolutely love'em.
I've seen in this thread and others where it is recommended to carry an extra ignition module. Don't know where this comes from unless they're using aftermarket modules. I doubt I've replaced a half dozen factory modules in all my years, but I have replaced a number of aftermarket modules.
I'd have to say that the 2 most common parts failures on these (that can leave you stranded) are the fuel pump and the ignition coil (yep, I carry an extra coil (nope, not an extra fuel pump)). But, that said, I don't think either has a failure rate that scares me.
Don't know how bad your wiring looks, but it's probably worth fixing.

Last edited:

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
I agree that TBI is almost bullet proof. I love the Quadrajet but wouldn't swap from TBI on a daily driver. Easy to work on and pretty much trouble free, as long as you stick with GM factory parts. I've probably worked on thousands of these and absolutely love'em.
I've seen in this thread and others where it is recommended to carry an extra ignition module. Don't know where this comes from unless they're using aftermarket modules. I doubt I've replaced a half dozen factory modules in all my years, but I have replaced a number of aftermarket modules.
I'd have to say that the 2 most common parts failures on these are the fuel pump and the ignition coil (yep, I carry an extra coil). But, that said, I don't think either has a failure rate that scares me.
Don't know how bad your wiring looks, but it's probably worth fixing.

I actually do have a spare coil I also carry. I had ICM issues, but they were aftermarket parts. I use Delco parts 100% unless I am in a pinch.

big91burb

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500 Scottsdale
Engine Size
So we're talking ACDelco parts from a parts store? Or dealer? I figured dealer wouldn't stock most of the stuff for these trucks being 30 plus years old

big91burb

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500 Scottsdale
Engine Size
And I know everyone talks about drivability and reliability but I've had some carbureted vehicles that drove way better and got better fuel mileage than stock injected vehicles. I have to a it's all in the carburetor tune.

KnuckleBuster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Floyd
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
And I know everyone talks about drivability and reliability but I've had some carbureted vehicles that drove way better and got better fuel mileage than stock injected vehicles. I have to a it's all in the carburetor tune.
The original thread post was "considering changing out to Carb and HEI in the future just for ease of service\roadside repairs", not about "drivability and reliability". Each system has its own advantages and disadvantages. I personally would be hard pressed to change from one to the other for any reason on a daily driver, and would NEVER change just for "ease of service\roadside repairs". But, that's just me. To each his own. My main point was just to say, as I have many times, that the TBI system is very easy to work on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag