TBI to Carb 1991 V2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
So we're talking ACDelco parts from a parts store? Or dealer? I figured dealer wouldn't stock most of the stuff for these trucks being 30 plus years old
ACDelco isn't routinely stocked at your local parts store, but is readily available online

big91burb

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500 Scottsdale
Engine Size
It is easy as long as you have access to the parts and good parts at that. That was mostly my concern. If I had a carburetor, mechanical fuel pump, and HEI distributor all I would really need is a back up module for the HEI and a back up fuel pump and that is pretty much it as far as being stranded. Taking the normal stuff like hoses, fuses, wire, duct tape, chicken wire and bubble gum of course!! That was pretty much the main question and if there where people that have done the swap and regret it

Once again thank you all for your input

big91burb

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500 Scottsdale
Engine Size
:ACDelco isn't routinely stocked at your local parts store, but is readily available online:

Yes that's why I asked about parts store. So you guys with TBI order good parts and hold them for the possibility of a future breakdown?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
It is easy as long as you have access to the parts and good parts at that. That was mostly my concern. If I had a carburetor, mechanical fuel pump, and HEI distributor all I would really need is a back up module for the HEI and a back up fuel pump and that is pretty much it as far as being stranded. Taking the normal stuff like hoses, fuses, wire, duct tape, chicken wire and bubble gum of course!! That was pretty much the main question and if there where people that have done the swap and regret it

Once again thank you all for your input
Lots of people have regretted it. I've worked on cars as a proffesion, not a hobby for decades. Mid-late 80s first time their injected car broke down, their mechanic, who didn't understand injection yet and the owners who knew even less wanted them converted back to carb. Them mid 90s everybody wanted injection, even putting it back on cars that had previously been converted to carbs. Now I'm not going to tell you all the advantages of computer controlled timing and fuel control and even engine longevity. If you had carbureated cars with old Vacuum mechanical ignition and they ran better and got better milage, that's the exception not the rule. Walk in to your local parts store and ask for a float,a power valve for a carburetor, a power piston spring,Etc. Good luck finding someone that knows what you are talking about, even better luck getting the parts without waiting. Roadside, I'll take my chances on getting TBI running first.

Last edited:

big91burb

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500 Scottsdale
Engine Size
I hear you there! Guess it would be the same putting it that way. You can not get carburetor parts from a regular parts store easily anymore so you would need that rebuild kit ordered online just the same as the TBI parts.

tackleberry65

Reaction score
First Name
Clay
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
I converted from efi to carb lots of times and it's always been satisfying to me. Using a quaddrajet I've always gained power and mileage.
What did you use for a throttle cable? I have a 91 TBI and am going to a Holley Terminator X Max Stealth, which has the same mechanical interfaces as a 4150. TBI throttle cable is way too long

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
What did you use for a throttle cable? I have a 91 TBI and am going to a Holley Terminator X Max Stealth, which has the same mechanical interfaces as a 4150. TBI throttle cable is way too long
Good question. I know guys on here have talked about cable length. I'm not sure of application for shorter cable. On on of my projects I had to find a longer one instead of shorter.
I wonder if you just need a cable for a 1985 and older. Maybe the carb cable is shorter than tbi cable. Maybe go to autoparts store and have them look up different years of cables till you find one that suits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod