TBI spacer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
First Name
Ricky
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
anyone tried a tbi spacer and can share thew difference it made i am swapping my motor with a 350 out right now i wouldn't mind helping my 305 out if the spacers make much difference

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
They do work, but if you're asking if you can feel a seat-of-the-pants difference the answer is no.

I've installed a tbi spacer, MSD box and coil, modified the air cleaner for more flow, and installed an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. My truck runs really well, but none of those modifications alone resulted in a noticeable improvement.

If you do get a spacer, I suggest the unit from CFM Tech.http://marine-performance-parts.com/cfmtechpowerplatefor435057gmtbiwsingleaircleanerstud.aspx

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'd also suggest an injector pod spacer. All the little improvements make decent difference overall.

Reaction score
First Name
Ricky
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
Thanks I've done coil and air cleaner and distriborater

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
They do work, but if you're asking if you can feel a seat-of-the-pants difference the answer is no.

I've installed a tbi spacer, MSD box and coil, modified the air cleaner for more flow, and installed an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. My truck runs really well, but none of those modifications alone resulted in a noticeable improvement.

If you do get a spacer, I suggest the unit from CFM Tech.http://marine-performance-parts.com/cfmtechpowerplatefor435057gmtbiwsingleaircleanerstud.aspx

Do you have any writeup or anything documenting what you did? I picked up a TBI unit yesterday, so I am starting to see what other people are doing with there set-ups.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
No write-up, but installing a spacer is pretty straightforward in most cases. In my case, it wasn't so simple because the spacer I used, which someone gave me, was taller than most. If I remember correctly it was 1 1/4" high, whereas most are 1".

This is the best pic of it I had handy in my pb acct.

You must be registered for see images attach

Since it was a used spacer of unknown manufacture, I used a flat file on the top and bottom to remove any burrs or high spots. Then I smoothed it up some more with some 800 grit emery paper laid out on a flat surface, which happened to be the granite countertops in the kitchen. (Mrs. Sky loved that part.) It's common to have vacuum leaks after installing these if they aren't prepped properly so take your time and get it right the first time.

The height of the spacer wouldn't allow me to reconnect the fuel lines without extensions so I used a couple of Trans-Dapt 1" extensions. You can see them here between the tb and the coil.

One more issue I had, and you might not with a different spacer, was the throttle cable was tweaked up at an angle after the spacer was installed. I was concerned it might cause the cable to bind so I made an extension from a flat piece of metal and attached it to the oem bracket with a couple of screws. This raised the cable up so it was back in line with the throttle body. Here's a shot of it located just in front of the cruise control diaphragm.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising