TBI Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cladiesel

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
R15
Engine Size
Alright, so i bought the gm1 to obd2 connector and I'm hoping to see what i can see this weekend. Still feeling a little optimistic about this but hoping i get a little insite as to whats actually happeneing

KnuckleBuster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Floyd
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'm leaning towards the distributor as my issue. I've been looking at the dui 12620bk as a replacement. Whats the pros and cons anyone thats run one has found
You put a new distributor in less than 5,000 miles ago and now you're considering putting another new one in?

I've seen a few ignition modules that caused continued injector pulsing after stalling. Every time it was a Wells brand (aftermarket) module. Been a long time. Surely they've fixed that by now.

Last edited:

cladiesel

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
R15
Engine Size
You put a new distributor in less than 5,000 miles ago and now you're considering another new one in?

I've seen a few ignition modules that caused continued injector pulsing after stalling. Every time it was a Wells brand (aftermarket) module. Been a long time. Surely they've fixed that by now.
I've been having issues since about a year after new engine install. Its burned up 3 iginition modules so i opted for a new distributor. Still having issues but not with the module now.

KnuckleBuster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Floyd
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I really need to write some info on these distributors and modules that I can copy and paste into these threads instead of writing it fresh every time. 'bout time to go. Good luck and have a fun weekend!

cladiesel

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
R15
Engine Size
Just an update. It stalled again and the injectors kept spraying fuel. I unplugged the injectors and still head a noise. It was coming from the coil. So i sawpped it out with another that i had and now all seems ok. Still skeptical though.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
spraying by pulsing or just an even spray like the injectors are stuck open? the injectors shouldn't be pulsing unless the ECM gets a reference signal from the distributor with key on. maybe the injectors are stuck open, it is flooding and stalling, and still spraying fuel until the pressure in the line bleeds off?

if you have somebody watch the injectors and turn key on to prime the fuel lines, do the injectors push out fuel? if so, the injectors need to be replaced or maybe you can clean them.

also check to make sure the wires off the ignition control module aren't rubbed through and somehow sending reference signals to the ECM with key on power.

do the injectors keep spraying if you turn the key off?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
@gmbellew aren't the tbi injectors a constant hot a and pwm ground side trigger? I f so if the negative side shorts to ground the injectors would continue to spray until power was cut. Just adding to what you posted. @cladiesel @gmbellew is giving you some very very good suggestions.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
@gmbellew aren't the tbi injectors a constant hot a and pwm ground side trigger? I f so if the negative side shorts to ground the injectors would continue to spray until power was cut. Just adding to what you posted. @cladiesel @gmbellew is giving you some very very good suggestions.

yes, constant hot and grounded by the ECM to pulse., but the injectors have separate wires off the ECM. so if they are both spraying they'd both have to be shorted to ground? most likely spot for that is at the air cleaner housing?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
yes, constant hot and grounded by the ECM to pulse., but the injectors have separate wires off the ECM. so if they are both spraying they'd both have to be shorted to ground? most likely spot for that is at the air cleaner housing?
I've got a hunch something like that is going. Chaffed power wires would result in no positive and a blown fuse. A bad distributor ecm would lose signal and injectors would die. An ecm failing I guess could short both injectors to ground,but an intermediate short in the injector harness just makes like a more likely candidate just from the difference in environment and exposur.
O.P. Engine running wiggle underhood harnesses especially in the TBI area,hopefully it will die. It won't run? Unplug the injectors check for 12v on 1 side,if you show zero continuity to ground, you have a wiring/ ecm problem.

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I had the same thing happen to me with injectors keep spray after truck stalled. 4 distributors later 3 different brands and it fixed my problem. One brand wouldn't even last a week. The one in now is a world products for a camaro firebird. Can't remember the first one.

The one time it kept spraying for 10 minutes and I had fuel coming out of everywhere. What a mess. Good thing it was winter and not hot out or I would of burnt the truck down.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
I had the same thing happen to me with injectors keep spray after truck stalled. 4 distributors later 3 different brands and it fixed my problem. One brand wouldn't even last a week. The one in now is a world products for a camaro firebird. Can't remember the first one.

The one time it kept spraying for 10 minutes and I had fuel coming out of everywhere. What a mess. Good thing it was winter and not hot out or I would of burnt the truck down.

it was spraying even with key "off"?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
? How? It's keyed hot. Open circuit with key off.

cladiesel

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
R15
Engine Size
spraying by pulsing or just an even spray like the injectors are stuck open? the injectors shouldn't be pulsing unless the ECM gets a reference signal from the distributor with key on. maybe the injectors are stuck open, it is flooding and stalling, and still spraying fuel until the pressure in the line bleeds off?

if you have somebody watch the injectors and turn key on to prime the fuel lines, do the injectors push out fuel? if so, the injectors need to be replaced or maybe you can clean them.

also check to make sure the wires off the ignition control module aren't rubbed through and somehow sending reference signals to the ECM with key on power.

do the injectors keep spraying if you turn the key off

do the injectors keep spraying if you turn the key off?
Put brand ne ac delco injectors in it already

cladiesel

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
R15
Engine Size
So new icm came in today. Now waiting on collector with o2 bung so I can put o2 sensor back in it. It has ran without an o2 sensor for 15 years without one but who knows. Its worth a try i guess.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag