TBI Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cladiesel

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
R15
Engine Size
New to this but I'm looking for a little help. I have an 87 1/2ton 2wd that has a crate motor and transmission in it with less than 5000 miles on them. It ran great for the first year and then started giving me issues like misfiring out of no where. Stalled once and the injectors kept dumping fuel in it. Started out with a new set of plugs and wires. Put in a new distributer. Rebuilt the tbi with new injectors and sensors. Still doing the same thing. Help please!

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hear "doing the same thing almost" every day, many times it's not. Really it isn't a good idea to shot gun these sorts of problems. Bad parts are a real problem. I prefer GM used to any new aftermarket part other than Delphi or Delco.

Forget everything already done. Start with basics, codes, spark, injector pulse, fuel pressure, data if available.

Did you use a Delphi cap and rotor? Off brands will crossfire inside the cap and will not have visible carbon tracking.

bad coil, dirty coil tower, coil primary wires rubbing on bottom of air cleaner

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
if it is dumping too much fuel, check the coolant temperature sensor. if it goes bad, it can default to low temp and it makes it run super rich. ALDLDroid and a blue tooth ALDL reader helps a bunch for diagnostic on TBI

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
if it is dumping too much fuel, check the coolant temperature sensor. if it goes bad, it can default to low temp and it makes it run super rich. ALDLDroid and a blue tooth ALDL reader helps a bunch for diagnostic on TBI
Yes, check pin push back/broken wire and corrosion on connector.

Sgt Gus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20 3/4 ton
Engine Size
454ci/7.4L
Suggestions, cheap? I have the basic gm reader. Seems like any Bluetooth device is OBDII. Use an adapter, or OBDII won't work.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
Suggestions, cheap? I have the basic gm reader. Seems like any Bluetooth device is OBDII. Use an adapter, or OBDII won't work.

Getting ALDLDroid from the Google playstore (about $20) and a Bluetooth ALDL reader from 1320 electronics or Red Devil River (about $90) is what I recommend. I think 1320 may also have a free app you can use.

cladiesel

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
R15
Engine Size
Its not that its dumping too much fuel its that it stalled and the injectors kept feeding fuel

cladiesel

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
R15
Engine Size
Hear "doing the same thing almost" every day, many times it's not. Really it isn't a good idea to shot gun these sorts of problems. Bad parts are a real problem. I prefer GM used to any new aftermarket part other than Delphi or Delco.

Forget everything already done. Start with basics, codes, spark, injector pulse, fuel pressure, data if available.

Did you use a Delphi cap and rotor? Off brands will crossfire inside the cap and will not have visible carbon tracking.

bad coil, dirty coil tower, coil primary wires rubbing on bottom of air cleaner
Put in a new Jegs distributor along with a new Jegs coil and spark plug wires

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
Its not that its dumping too much fuel its that it stalled and the injectors kept feeding fuel
hmmm. not sure about that. I'd think once the ECM sees the engine is dead it would stop pulsing the injectors....

you might check for intake manifold gasket or other vacuum leaks. put a timing light on each plug to see if each plug is receiving spark consistently.

I once had an occassional misfire on a cylinder from a bad wire I found with a timing light.

you might do a compression test and put a vacuum gauge on it while idling to look for clues. maybe engine break in didn't go well and a cam lobe is wiped?

really hard to provide much more without more information.

cladiesel

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
R15
Engine Size
I'm leaning towards the distributor as my issue. I've been looking at the dui 12620bk as a replacement. Whats the pros and cons anyone thats run one has found

cladiesel

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
R15
Engine Size
So this may be a stupid question but why if i pull an injector connector off and the truck stalls out the othet injector keeps pulsing and spraying fuel

cladiesel

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
R15
Engine Size
And im looking for a pin out of the ecm connector

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads