Tachometer replacement thoughts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Thanks for the picture. Both gauges are very visible and unobstructed where you have them.

I haven't gotten around to putting my tach in yet, or testing it for that matter. I've been working on my Camaro in what little free time I've had over the last week.
"in what little free time I've had over the last week." I hear ya. Between managing the shop on the weekdays, and the farm which in the summer pretty much absorbs as much time as I can throw at it. I get it. But when you do install it, wherever you do, I'd enjoy seeing a pic or 2

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
when you do install it, wherever you do, I'd enjoy seeing a pic or 2
I certainly will follow up.

Next project on my list is a new windshield gasket in my K20. Hoping to get that done this week, but that will depend on time. The tach will come after that assuming nothing else comes up.

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
But when you do install it, wherever you do, I'd enjoy seeing a pic or 2
After cleaning up the windshield pinch weld on my K20 and hitting it with a coat of spray paint (in an attempt to keep Minnesota rust at bay behind a new windshield gasket), I still had some free time in the garage. Instead of drinking more beer, I decided to install the tach.

I decided to go low with it, mimicking the position of the tach in my Monte, just to have it as "out of the way" as possible. It's high and right enough where my right foot should never catch it while operating or going for the throttle. It's also left and far enough forward where someone riding in the middle of the bench should never bother it, even when riding with a left foot on the hump to the left of the 4wd shifter. The wiring is also nicely tucked out of the way under the dash. I think the exposed wiring is ultimately what deterred me from the dash screw mounting position.

The picture below is taken as I view the dash while driving with the tilt wheel all the way down and the wheels straight. My steering wheel rides off center (been like that since I bought the truck) which conveniently un-obstructs the tach. Even if I fix the steering wheel, or the tach becomes otherwise obstructed, I'll probably leave it be. I don't drive the truck like a race car, it has an automatic transmission, and I generally just use the tach for periodic reference.

Lastly, this old tach was given to me by a coworker a few years ago. He was cleaning out his garage in preparation to move, and he found this tach in a box with a few other gauges (voltmeter, oil pressure, and a temp gauge) that had been sitting around for decades. Knowing I was a Chevy guy at work, he brought the box in for me. He had taken the gauges out of his Chevelle before he sold it, and he figured I may be able to use them in one of my old Chevys. Now the tach has new life in my K20, which makes it that much cooler!

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
After cleaning up the windshield pinch weld on my K20 and hitting it with a coat of spray paint (in an attempt to keep Minnesota rust at bay behind a new windshield gasket), I still had some free time in the garage. Instead of drinking more beer, I decided to install the tach.

I decided to go low with it, mimicking the position of the tach in my Monte, just to have it as "out of the way" as possible. It's high and right enough where my right foot should never catch it while operating or going for the throttle. It's also left and far enough forward where someone riding in the middle of the bench should never bother it, even when riding with a left foot on the hump to the left of the 4wd shifter. The wiring is also nicely tucked out of the way under the dash. I think the exposed wiring is ultimately what deterred me from the dash screw mounting position.

The picture below is taken as I view the dash while driving with the tilt wheel all the way down and the wheels straight. My steering wheel rides off center (been like that since I bought the truck) which conveniently un-obstructs the tach. Even if I fix the steering wheel, or the tach becomes otherwise obstructed, I'll probably leave it be. I don't drive the truck like a race car, it has an automatic transmission, and I generally just use the tach for periodic reference.

Lastly, this old tach was given to me by a coworker a few years ago. He was cleaning out his garage in preparation to move, and he found this tach in a box with a few other gauges (voltmeter, oil pressure, and a temp gauge) that had been sitting around for decades. Knowing I was a Chevy guy at work, he brought the box in for me. He had taken the gauges out of his Chevelle before he sold it, and he figured I may be able to use them in one of my old Chevys. Now the tach has new life in my K20, which makes it that much cooler!

Looks good! You have a different steering wheel than I do. I have the older style with the two larger flats that extend from the center down and totally blocks that lower part of the dash. Yea, wiring. I've turned my ash tray into a power outlet center so I was able to tie into that. I got kind of lucky with my truck it leaked BAD from around the windshield and was fully prepared to rebuild the channel. Also lucky I know a damn good glass guy. So he came and pulled it, I was fully prepared to see carnage, but no. Cleaned out the drains painted some areas that were a little so so with a rust converter, sealed it and installed a new windshield and gasket.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I know old thread but, model # and brand? Covering my options.

I looked back at what your were replying to. That 4000 RPM tach and fuel gauge is out of a diesel C60-70 truck. The gas C60-70 had 5000 RPM tachs.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I looked back at what your were replying to. That 4000 RPM tach and fuel gauge is out of a diesel C60-70 truck. The gas C60-70 had 5000 RPM tachs.

Those tach / fuel gauges are flickin' awesome. I've thought about doing that in my truck then I could integrate my transmission temp gauge into the cluster where the clock was using a second temp gauge. Would look like it was factory. But by the time I learned about the tach / fuel combo gauges I'd already hung a tach and trans gauge off the dash. Oh well, but they are awesome!

Sgt Gus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20 3/4 ton
Engine Size
454ci/7.4L

Hmm, not sure if that would fit the 87 3/4 ton. I'll have to measure a d maybe look I to.

I might look into if it will fit the 87 3/4 ton. If hard to find have a couple other options from you guys!

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
They should fit no problem. Just don’t know how they wire up. Hard part is finding one. It’s a popular swap.

84GMCSierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
Id like to have one of the speedo/fuel gauge units out of a C60 for mine. I found some online but over $300 is a lot of money for one gauge and not even guaranteed to work

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size

That’s a really cool option. Never seen that.

What is the gauge that reads 0-30 on the lower left then? Vacuum?

farm truck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
I did the in-dash tach addition and love it. Not the LMC one, but similar stock look. As you already know, it takes a circuit board & backing plate to make it work. I had a column mounted cheapo previously & prefer the one I have now. I also installed a vac gauge that is defective and a chrome bezel while I was at it.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
LMC sells a kit and their kit includes a new circuit board so I would think that's a requirement.

As for the clock is you think about the time period when these trucks came out, no other truck had a built in clock. What a luxury! My clock is dead and the aftermarket radio has a clock as does my GPS so I won't miss that at all. I have wondered though if I would miss having the large fuel gauge.

My oil pressure gauge isn't the best any more so I'd change that while I'm in there and I think replacing the circuit board could only do me good. But the kit is like $315 that's money I could put towards a bed cover if I go with a less expensive aftermarket tach.
As I recall those clocks were all dead before the 80s were over! Lol

A factory tach would be cool, but like you said, $300+ is a lot of money for a $50 tach.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
As I recall those clocks were all dead before the 80s were over! Lol

A factory tach would be cool, but like you said, $300+ is a lot of money for a $50 tach.
When my Dad bought his 78 K20 is 80' with 25,000 miles the clock was already dead....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20