Tachometer replacement thoughts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PeteJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic 1500
Engine Size
That's awesome. Any chance you'd be able to give a rough time estimate on the job?
I did mine as well as a lot more while the entire interior was out in about 6 weeks last summer. I had to wait on parts and do "other things" also.
But, if you had all the parts, were pretty organized and stayed after it, the gauges could be done in a few days I would think.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Here's the list of parts I ordered from LMC.
My truck is an '83 GMC Sierra Classic. Parts differ for other years.
This process isn't too hard to do. I removed the dash pad, helps a lot.
Make sure the speedo and tach wires go in correctly so you don't have to remove the cluster after installing it. (Lesson learned)
I used some Testors model car paint for the older gauge needles.
I also, used a small rubber plug for the hole in the lens when the clock stem was. Just to keep dust out.........

36-2042 Tach - 7,000 RPM
36-3104 Tach wiring harness
38-8069 Tach bracket (didn't need it)
36-1858 Small fuel gauge
38-8101 Gauge cluster backing plate
38-8041 Printed circuit
38-1103 Dash bezel - brushed aluminum (handle with care or it will crease very easily)
36-0190 Instrument bulb holders - as needed
38-8042 Retainer clips for printed circuit - as needed
As for the clear lens over the gauges, I polished mine and it looks fine
There's other items you may need like spacers, clips, screws and headlight lens, etc.

Hope this helps !

You must be registered for see images attach

$h!t at $130 for a guage that works with my LS.....and looks stock? I'm sold......gotta wait for funds tho lol. Watch it go up to $200 before I can handle it just to p|$$ me off though.

yes I'm calling it!!!!

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I did mine as well as a lot more while the entire interior was out in about 6 weeks last summer. I had to wait on parts and do "other things" also.
But, if you had all the parts, were pretty organized and stayed after it, the gauges could be done in a few days I would think.
I appreciate that info. One of my problems is that my truck is depended heavily on for the farm. I have another truck a 92 Dakota, and small utility trailer that it can pull, but the my square is a C20 and is the only thing that can tow the big trailer any distance or haul a real load. So if I decide to go this route I might have to plan for it in the winter when the farm slows down and I can be without the truck for a few days. Thanks again for all the info.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I did a complete bezel swap on my 74 K5. I found a guy that had a 73 suburban with a newer model cluster in it. BUT, the problem I am finding with getting things used is the plastic is so very brittle and can break off in a heartbeat when putting things together. Many companies sell the Cluster Backing Plate but never the one you need and LMC does too, but not all of them. So I highly recommend the LMC kit because all of the plastics are brand new, as well as the print out. Things will go in and seat perfectly and be solid for years to come. Thats my 2 cents.
I've done my share of cluster work on older rigs, and you are so right about brittle plastic. I've had my unit out and the plastic is in surprisingly good shape. One of the reasons I'm not to fond of finding a medium duty cluster and trying to marry the two or cutting mine up to try to make something work.
I've been eyeing the LMC kit, but I may got with a Dakota Digital unit instead. Probably won't do either until next spring.
Just my opinion but I think the Dakota digitals look out of place. Actually I think almost all aftermarket gauge sets installed in place of the factory one look out of place in the square, but that's just my opinion of course.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I like it! Where is it from???
That's the LMC kit he has there, and we have talked about in this thread a fair bit. Jim's pictures are of the installation of that kit.

<EDIT> I miss read the post quoted what he is look at is out of a medium duty truck not the LMC kit I was thinking of.

Last edited:

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
That's the LMC kit he has there, and we have talked about in this thread a fair bit. Jim's pictures are of the installation of that kit.
I did not see that tach w/inset fuel gauge on LMC's site, just their kit's with separate fuel gauge.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
The tach with inset fuel gauge is probably from a heavy duty GM truck (don’t recall the exact model), since it only goes to 4K rpm. The HD truck cluster is the same physical size, and apparently can be adapted to a squarebody.

StickyLifter

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Screw You Homophobes
Truck Year
N/A
Truck Model
N/A
Engine Size
N/A
Just my opinion but I think the Dakota digitals look out of place. Actually I think almost all aftermarket gauge sets installed in place of the factory one look out of place in the square, but that's just my opinion of course.
I agree in some ways. I would try to retain the stock look as much as possible. The biggest thing I like about the Dakota Digital gauges is being able to have a digital speed displayed on the speedometer. I use that all the time on my Silverado and miss it when I drive the Sierra. I've never done much work under the dash so I'll be nervous either way.

I'm way over my project car budget already and my Nova is going in for some motor work next week. My dreams of having a tach in the will have to wait until next spring.

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
I used an Autometer #2891 (2 5/8"). I screwed it to the shifter column. When I'm in drive it's straight up.

I have the same setup in my K5.

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
The tach with inset fuel gauge is probably from a heavy duty GM truck (don’t recall the exact model), since it only goes to 4K rpm. The HD truck cluster is the same physical size, and apparently can be adapted to a squarebody.
Ah, I see. Yeah, I found a factory tach out of a C30 for my '64 C10 and had it calibrated for a V-8 for the 409 going in it. It's super-nice as I restored the needle and all. I haven't seen any C10's or 20's with a factory tach before, I like that rare stuff!

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I did not see that tach w/inset fuel gauge on LMC's site, just their kit's with separate fuel gauge.

Yes, Bruce is right. I thought you had quoted a different message and I apologize for that. I'll edit my other message so as not to confuse future readers of this thread.

The tach with the fuel gauge combo would be out of a C50 or C60. I understand though that the clusters are not the same and that it requires some hacking up of your cluster to make it work. That's just what I have read I'd really like it if @TPISly-C10 Sly, would come back and tell us what is required for that installation .

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
If it makes it easier for anyone wanting to buy the kit contents when the kit is out of stock, this is what LMC Customer Service sent me for a parts list.

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
Here's the list of parts I ordered from LMC.
My truck is an '83 GMC Sierra Classic. Parts differ for other years.
This process isn't too hard to do. I removed the dash pad, helps a lot.
Make sure the speedo and tach wires go in correctly so you don't have to remove the cluster after installing it. (Lesson learned)
I used some Testors model car paint for the older gauge needles.
I also, used a small rubber plug for the hole in the lens when the clock stem was. Just to keep dust out.........

36-2042 Tach - 7,000 RPM
36-3104 Tach wiring harness
38-8069 Tach bracket (didn't need it)
36-1858 Small fuel gauge
38-8101 Gauge cluster backing plate
38-8041 Printed circuit
38-1103 Dash bezel - brushed aluminum (handle with care or it will crease very easily)
36-0190 Instrument bulb holders - as needed
38-8042 Retainer clips for printed circuit - as needed
As for the clear lens over the gauges, I polished mine and it looks fine
There's other items you may need like spacers, clips, screws and headlight lens, etc.

Hope this helps !

nice and easy to do :)

Attachments

• _DSC5259.jpg
    _DSC5259.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 69

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
Tell me about that installation. I've seen those gauges I think out of medium duty trucks? I'd like that actually even more than the LMC kit, but my clock would go and my trans temp gauge would go in it's place. So how much work is that installation?
yes from a C50 easy to do with the right part! :)

Attachments

• tach board.jpg
    tach board.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 60

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod