steering column wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sqaurebodyrestore

Reaction score
First Name
Dale
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
I replaced the steering column in my 1986 GMC Jimmy with a tilt steering column from a Jimmy that was a different year. Everything went in OK but I noticed that at the bottom of the steering column, just before passing though through to engine side, the tilt steering column that I put in has the big white plastic piece just like mine but the tilt column has two different spots where electrical plugs connect to it. As I went and looked back at the original non tilt steering column, there was only the one plug where there was a plug with an green and purple wire attached. Since there was the same spot where my original plug was plugged in, I just plugged in the plug in same spot and left the other one with nothing going to it since my original did not have that plug or a harness for it. I attached a picture of the non tilt steering column with the plug attached. The additional plug was to the left of where the one in picture is located.
You must be registered for see images attach

Does anyone know that those plugs are for??

Is it OK to leave the other one alone and just plug into the one in same location as my original steering column.

Any help would be appreciated..

thanks in advance.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Should be the neutral safety switch and backup light switch. Not sure why your new one has 2 plugs , but if your truck starts in neutral and has reverse lights you are good.

Curious about the second plug in, though.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I replaced the steering column in my 1986 GMC Jimmy with a tilt steering column from a Jimmy that was a different year. Everything went in OK but I noticed that at the bottom of the steering column, just before passing though through to engine side, the tilt steering column that I put in has the big white plastic piece just like mine but the tilt column has two different spots where electrical plugs connect to it. As I went and looked back at the original non tilt steering column, there was only the one plug where there was a plug with an green and purple wire attached. Since there was the same spot where my original plug was plugged in, I just plugged in the plug in same spot and left the other one with nothing going to it since my original did not have that plug or a harness for it. I attached a picture of the non tilt steering column with the plug attached. The additional plug was to the left of where the one in picture is located.
You must be registered for see images attach

Does anyone know that those plugs are for??

Is it OK to leave the other one alone and just plug into the one in same location as my original steering column.

Any help would be appreciated..

thanks in advance.

Your "new" tilt column was pulled from a 1984 or earlier truck.

Prior to 1985 that switch assembly had two sets of contacts. One set (connected to the DK BLU & LT GRN leads) was used to activate the B/U lights. There was another set of contacts (connected to a YEL & PPL pair of leads) that acted as the NSS (neutral safety switch).

In 1985, the electrical NSS was eliminated in favor of a mechanical interlock in the upper steering column. From then on, unless the gear shift was in the P or N position, the key could not be turned to START. The switch and wiring for the back up lights remained as it was.

You are good to go.

sqaurebodyrestore

Reaction score
First Name
Dale
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Thanks so Much! Hopefully everything works in the tilt column. Wont know until a few weeks when I am ready to fire the engine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevbak88