Steering Column Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hardylane23

Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
i need some advice, i have an 85 GMC Sierra Classic and the area on my steering column where the key and gear shifter is located is very loose and will shift back and forth as i am selecting my gear. the steering rod that runs through the middle does not move. Could it be the lever housing that is the problem. i have attached a picture to illustrate. thanks in advance

Attachments

• lever housing.JPG
    lever housing.JPG
    14.8 KB · Views: 14

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
The key is in the upper housing and the shift lever pins in to the bowl. My guess is that the aluminum tilt housing inside the column that is held to the mast jacket by 4 bolts is moving. Not a hard job if you have the correct tools and a good guide on how it comes apart and a real task if not.

Try this link for info :

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Those are a little tricky, only because actuator rod needs to be timed and several small parts that need lined up. You will need the tool to push down on the steering lock and puller to remove hinge pins. Take lots of pictures during disassembly.

Don't use the steering wheel to pull yourself into the seat. Sometimes that's the cause.

edit, will also need a steering wheel puller.

Last edited:

Dleslie212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7L 350
Those are a little tricky, only because actuator rod needs to be timed and several small parts that need lined up. You will need the tool to push down on the steering lock and puller to remove hinge pins. Take lots of pictures during disassembly.

Don't use the steering wheel to pull yourself into the seat. Sometimes that's the cause.

edit, will also need a steering wheel puller.
Sometimes the hinge pins can be removed without the tool. I bought the tool but didn't need it

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Sometimes the hinge pins can be removed without the tool. I bought the tool but didn't need it
Very true, use correct size machine screw, block of wood and side cutter but tool isn't expensive.

Woodman77

Reaction score
First Name
Woody
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban chevy
Engine Size
You Guys Rock !
I am a little overwhelmed with the amount of detail
I just experienced. My left turn lever will not return after the turn is completed. was hoping it was going to be a simple fix, Not to say It Should have been but... I will probably watch this a few hundred more times to built my confidence to give it a try..... Or try and find someone that knows this stuff.
really appreciate your Guys knowledge and sharing
Sprite. Thanks Woody

Dleslie212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7L 350
You Guys Rock !
I am a little overwhelmed with the amount of detail
I just experienced. My left turn lever will not return after the turn is completed. was hoping it was going to be a simple fix, Not to say It Should have been but... I will probably watch this a few hundred more times to built my confidence to give it a try..... Or try and find someone that knows this stuff.
really appreciate your Guys knowledge and sharing
Sprite. Thanks Woody

The turn signal switch has some little springs in it that are responsible for returning the turn signal lever back to the middle position. If one of those is broke, the lever won't return. I know they make replacement springs. The switch itself is not all that expensive and not crazy difficult to replace, especially if you're rebuilding the entire column anyhow

Trust me - it's not exactly easy, but if I can do it, you can do it

Here is the YouTube video i watched a couple hundred times before and during my rebuild. It was a pretty big help

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Rick76

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
If those bolts are indeed loose, does that cause the whole wheel to wobble or just the gear shift? I've got a different column (fixed, three on the tree), but only my shifter and its housing wobbles, not the ignition section or the wheel, which is solid as a rock. Any clarifications?

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
If those bolts are indeed loose, does that cause the whole wheel to wobble or just the gear shift? I've got a different column (fixed, three on the tree), but only my shifter and its housing wobbles, not the ignition section or the wheel, which is solid as a rock. Any clarifications?
The 4 bolt wobble only applies to tilt columns and as far as I remember 3 on the trees are all non tilt. IIRC the bowl upper has a cast portion that attached to the shift tube and not sure anymore about the lower portion. Have to dig in to a fixed column exploded view.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad