Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rooster73

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
I believe I burned up my fusible link. I’m new to working on rigs and I’m learning learning.

I pulled out my steering column to replace my clutch/brake pedal assembly. In the process I smelled smoke and noticed the rubber spacer between the power steering box and the lower steering shaft was burning.

No idea why.

When I got everything put back together I have no power. No ignition. No lights. Nothing.

I believe the wire on the firewall in the engine compartment next to the brake booster is where the fusible link is??? Either way, there is a wire there that’s burned through. I have power to that little block.

What on earth would have caused that rubber to start on fire? I’m sure there was oil on it.

What role would removing the steering column play in starting the fire. It was small and went out when I blew on it, but I’m just puzzled.

Thoughts???

Thanks.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I believe I burned up my fusible link. I’m new to working on rigs and I’m learning learning.

I pulled out my steering column to replace my clutch/brake pedal assembly. In the process I smelled smoke and noticed the rubber spacer between the power steering box and the lower steering shaft was burning.

No idea why.

When I got everything put back together I have no power. No ignition. No lights. Nothing.

I believe the wire on the firewall in the engine compartment next to the brake booster is where the fusible link is??? Either way, there is a wire there that’s burned through. I have power to that little block.

What on earth would have caused that rubber to start on fire? I’m sure there was oil on it.

What role would removing the steering column play in starting the fire. It was small and went out when I blew on it, but I’m just puzzled.

Thoughts???

Thanks.
Yes the junction block just to the left of the brake booster should have a fusible link attached to it (IIRC there’s two fusible links there, and another hooked to the starter)

As for the fire I’m not sure I understand exactly what burned, how’s about a picture.

If you dropped the column and replaced the pedal bracket You may have pinched a wire causing a direct short. I’d definitely recommend inspecting every spot a wire could have been damaged before replacing the fusible link.

Rooster73

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
I thought the pictures posted with my first post. I’ll try again. Hopefully they come through.

Attachments

• IMG_7046.jpeg
    IMG_7046.jpeg
    168.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_7045.jpeg
    IMG_7045.jpeg
    184.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_7047.jpeg
    IMG_7047.jpeg
    171.4 KB · Views: 27

Rooster73

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Yes the junction block just to the left of the brake booster should have a fusible link attached to it (IIRC there’s two fusible links there, and another hooked to the starter)

As for the fire I’m not sure I understand exactly what burned, how’s about a picture.

If you dropped the column and replaced the pedal bracket You may have pinched a wire causing a direct short. I’d definitely recommend inspecting every spot a wire could have been damaged before replacing the fusible link.
I’ll check for pinched wires.

Would it be possible that there was a grounding issue somehow through the column when I was pulling it? The small fire happened while I was removing all the hardware to pull the column out. I don’t remember if I had started disconnecting wiring connectors yet or not.

I think I’ll check grounds on the truck too. I’m just not sure how many and where they all should be. Any guidance there?

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
That’s called a rag joint. My guess is you shorted a wire to the steering column…

The current flowed down the column to the steering box to find ground. Not sure if the rag joint is steel belted but the current passed across it or through it and burnt it up until the fusible link blew. If the column is unbolted from the pedal bracket the steering box would be the only other grounding point, it’s isolated from the firewall and the shift linkage with rubber grommets.

It’s possible the column contacted a wire while you had it loose, the ignition switch is right on top of the column and has large gauge wires that are constantly hot with voltage. They are not fused in the panel on the firewall the only protection for that wire is the fusible link.

Start searching for evidence of damage to the ignition switch bundle of wires and anything near where you were working

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad