1984 k10 firing issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

packman

Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10 1500
Engine Size
Hey I’m new here hope to get some answers about my 1984 k10
Here’s my issue .
It will not fire when cranking has zero spark , but if I use a bypass connector I bought online to bypass the ESC it will fire up and run has a rough idle but it will idle and run . I can let it warm up for about 5-10 minutes and reconnect the ESC and it fires right up
I’ve checked the fusible links and put new ones in with the same issue unresolved.
I keep it in the garage so it’s not getting wet from dampness .
Anyone have any ideas of what I should be looking for to fix this issue ?

MarineOne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
The fix would be to rip that abysmal system out and throw in an hei setup. But if your wanting to keep it then that sounds like a sensor failer. When cold it loses contact. When warmed by engine the metal expands and completes the connection. Pretty common on old sensors due to heat cycling

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
It isn't uncommon to have to adjust the timing after bypassing the ESC. I would also agree with just keeping the bypass module intact. This video might help.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
the esc has been"jumpered' by PO any reason why i cant remove the esc module and plug the firewall hole?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
the esc has been"jumpered' by PO any reason why i cant remove the esc module and plug the firewall hole?
Yes and no, some people ditch esc with no problems,others ditch ESC and aren't happy until they make it work again. @SirRobyn0 is the only one I am aware of that chronicled his ESC adventure. Search his posts. Personally I bypassed mine,and am going back to working esc.

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
can i ask why going back ?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Because it ran better before,and got better milage,same reason Robyn went back. Think about it everyone always says advance your timing until it pings, then back it off a little that's what the ESC does,allows the most timing,it dials it back when it's too much,hot day,cheap fuel,heavy load. Etc.

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
good information. everything is still in my truck and appears to be usable (except the little jumper). is there a way to test the module? I am not against either way just want it to run well.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I bypassed mine and went back. I cannot not tell you the number of hours I have into getting it functional again.

The short version is the 80's 305 are higher compression than the early 305's. Without the ESC my experience was that I had to retard the timing to the point where there was no power and fuel economy dropped in order to keep it from pinging it's self to death without the ESC. These engines were designed to have the timing control system the ESC. If you just have to try running it without the ESC look up how to bypass it by jumping the wires on the back of the distributor so when it pings like crazy you can put it back easy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef