1987 Chevrolet V30 dump truck 350 v8 no crank no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mike kotarba

Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
1987 and 1986
Truck Model
v20 and k20
Engine Size
1987 Chevrolet V30 dump truck 350 v8 carburetor with sm465 transmission. It has a no crank no start in the rusty crusty truck. This originally had a 454 big block engine which made real bad noises when running at idle. I am helping my neighbor with his project vehicle. Prior to us swapping out the big block engine I had to jump the starter with a remote starter switch at the starter terminals to make it crank while holding the ignition switch on and depressing the clutch pedal. I swapped in a 1985 chevrolet k20 used 350 v8 with carburetor out of a donor truck that had a th400 automatic. I removed the crank shaft bushing and put in a pilot bearing for the sm465 transmission that is still in the dump truck. I put in a LUK clutch and flywheel during the engine swap. After the engine swap I still have to use the remote starter switch at the starter to make it crank but not start the engine. I am not getting spark at the end of the plug wires with a acdelco HEI spark tester at the same time.

I am having difficulty figuring out why the donor engine will not crank at all with the key. I do have head lights and interior lights and stop lamps. I replaced the column mounted ignition switch to no avail. I disconnected the clutch switch and used a fused jumper at the connector that made no difference in it cranking at all.
Is there any problem areas I should inspect on a square body truck?

Last edited:

CountKrunk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Count
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Custom Deluxe 3+3
Engine Size
v8 350
so you can't get it started with a remote switch or with the key?

But you can crank it with the remote switch but you get absolutely nothing using the key?

mike kotarba

Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
1987 and 1986
Truck Model
v20 and k20
Engine Size
I can make it crank with the remote starter but nothing with the key.

mike kotarba

Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
1987 and 1986
Truck Model
v20 and k20
Engine Size
Once I got the truck engine to crank I tested the distributor coil which was bad according to service information. I replaced the ignition coil and still had a crank no start. I tested the HEI module and it was supposed to have battery voltage at B+ at the battery terminal of the coil. The HEI module Tested at 8.5 volts max which is bad also the range of bad is 1 to 10 volts. I replaced the HEI module and now it runs well.
Thank you for the help.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
It's the purple wire..it's almost always the purple wire!
"Any problem areas?"

It's not a problem but people are always jackin with it. .. they wire STARTER KILL SWITCHES in the purple wire.

That's always one of the first circuits to inspect. You might find a homemade starter disable if you look hard enough??

That will occupy your time for a bit - I'll check back later. Good luck!

P.s. add pix.

OGill

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Have you checked all the fuses, including on the firewall.
I also know of a case where one of the wires on the engine side of the fuse block was pulled loose .
Best luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad