‘83 K5 Resto- prep/paint steering column?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlazerBill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K5 Blazer
Engine Size
Hi all! I just wanted to get some recommendations on how you went about prepping, sanding and painting the steering column. I’ve already painted the bare dash with the 2K body color but had the column was masked off. The column has some light corrosion which will have to be sanded. I suppose I could pull the detail paint gun out again/mix primer and paint to paint it the same body color but was hoping there is an easier way to paint the column with a really durable rattle can black spray paint as it is mounted. Basically, I’m seeking your recommendations on an easy prep, rattle can primer brand name and rattle can spray paint brand name that will look good and be resistant to scratching, chipping and soiling from dirty work hands. Also, which finish would the column look best with- a flat, satin, semi-gloss or gloss paint and should I also spray a rattle can clear coat on it? Thanks, ya’ll and have a good day!

Attachments

• IMG_9060.png
    IMG_9060.png
    405.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_9061.png
    IMG_9061.png
    1,005.8 KB · Views: 19

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Hi all! I just wanted to get some recommendations on how you went about prepping, sanding and painting the steering column. I’ve already painted the bare dash with the 2K body color but had the column was masked off. The column has some light corrosion which will have to be sanded. I suppose I could pull the detail paint gun out again/mix primer and paint to paint it the same body color but was hoping there is an easier way to paint the column with a really durable rattle can black spray paint as it is mounted. Basically, I’m seeking your recommendations on an easy prep, rattle can primer brand name and rattle can spray paint brand name that will look good and be resistant to scratching, chipping and soiling from dirty work hands. Also, which finish would the column look best with- a flat, satin, semi-gloss or gloss paint and should I also spray a rattle can clear coat on it? Thanks, ya’ll and have a good day!
DupliColor used to have a color in the truck paint line(larger cans) called 30% Black. Semi gloss black for interior painting; Dad used to use it on our trucks and it was great.

dhartman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
c15
Engine Size
SEM has a Color Coat line that I used to repaint my column. I de-greased the crap outta it hit it with a soft scotch bright pad. wiped her down again then painted looks great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod