Should I?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
As @45tt said... Why isn't already in your driveway?!!!!!!!!!

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
After shopping for 4x4 chevy trucks in your area, that seems pretty good. Assuming the description is accurate of course.
Yeah like for example it really has a 350 and an .... effin 305.

BearKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bear
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You guys in the Pacific Northwest have no idea how good you have it with Squarebody Availability. I get excited if I see one Squarebody per week besides my own. My truck stands out down here which is good, but buying one is expensive which is not.

If that truck is running it's worth $20K down here. For $2K...there would be no question.
We get morons asking the same price for their trucks but NOBODY is paying that much for their junk. You would have to be a fool to pay those ridiculous prices for a truck that was one of the most mass produced vehicles in history. I just paid 600 for a 1982 K5 Blazer that was surrounded by other people asking 10-25 grand for a project Blazer. I also bought a one owner 86 GMC K3500 Dually 4X4 for 2500. According to what people are asking it’s worth 50 Grand. I see a bunch of 2WD Dually trucks going for 20,000 but no 4WD ones so it’s gotta be a 50,000 truck, right ?? I’m joking but not about the asking price these guys want for their stuff. They have these old run down trucks just sitting on the family farm and see on Facebook that someone is asking 10,000 for theirs so the immediately throw theirs up their asking the same or more. It’s laughable to say the least. My local junkyard guy is asking 5500 for stuf that has no floor pans or box floor. Most haven’t run in 25 years but that’s what he’s asking. He wants 10,000 for a 396 engine that needs to be rebuilt. I want to know what these guys are smoking. Must be some great stuff.

BearKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bear
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The man selling it is a golf buddy and the assistant Pastor of our church. Drove by and took a picture. I would rework the exhaust pipes first if I buy it.

You must be registered for see images attach
It’s worth what he is asking. Its not worth 10 grand, that’s for sure.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
We get morons asking the same price for their trucks but NOBODY is paying that much for their junk. You would have to be a fool to pay those ridiculous prices for a truck that was one of the most mass produced vehicles in history. I just paid 600 for a 1982 K5 Blazer that was surrounded by other people asking 10-25 grand for a project Blazer. I also bought a one owner 86 GMC K3500 Dually 4X4 for 2500. According to what people are asking it’s worth 50 Grand. I see a bunch of 2WD Dually trucks going for 20,000 but no 4WD ones so it’s gotta be a 50,000 truck, right ?? I’m joking but not about the asking price these guys want for their stuff. They have these old run down trucks just sitting on the family farm and see on Facebook that someone is asking 10,000 for theirs so the immediately throw theirs up their asking the same or more. It’s laughable to say the least. My local junkyard guy is asking 5500 for stuf that has no floor pans or box floor. Most haven’t run in 25 years but that’s what he’s asking. He wants 10,000 for a 396 engine that needs to be rebuilt. I want to know what these guys are smoking. Must be some great stuff.
I cannot stress this enough, the price is based on Supply and Demand. Where you live these trucks may be plentiful and cheap. Where I live they are rare and expensive.

When I was shopping for my truck I spent a lot of time on Autotrader and Classiccars. I saw plenty that were overpriced and they would sit for 6 months or more without selling. The price would gradually drop to a reasonable point. Who knows what they would actually settle and sell for?

I like BringaTrailer because you can see what the vehicle actually sold for and what folks really believe they are worth.

Three very recent examples:

This perfect Suburban sold 2 days ago for $37,500:

This excellent but not completely original truck sold 5 days ago for $42,500:

On the same website we have this average example of a squarebody that is not as "desirable" but is still very useful. The price is much more reasonable, it sold 2 days ago for $6500.

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Square bodies in general are not inherently rare, but certain variations of them are, and hence command a higher price. A K20 in decent condition like what the OP is looking at is not super easy to find in today's market without paying a premium in many places.

There are also ignorant impulse buyers with more money than sense that screw up the market by paying super high prices for run of the mill trucks. An example of this is my neighbor buying a mismatched non-running 86 C10 with no paint for 7k.

There are also instances where people simply get lucky and get a nice truck for a great bargain due to a seller's ignorance or generosity. At the end of the day, like others have said here many times, value is and always will be what the individual person is willing to pay.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
What I'm hearing is I need to pull an Ayden and buy up squares under 5k, get a tow rig and transport them east(South and North) in order to kick off an earnings spree. Who wants to be my co-pilot?
Hey, can I get in on this? I have the tow rig...

CRM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
350 CI
He says he's selling it because he bought a newer, fully loaded, truck. He did say that there's a high pitched whine when it hits 40-50 mph.

CRM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
350 CI
Update #2:
I went by the house and talked to him. Asked him if I could check out the rig. Someone in the past has removed the muffler and directed the exhaust pipes to their present position. He started it up and talk about LOUD! The engine ran smooth and sounded good though. I didn't drive it at this time because he's listed it online for $11,500 and he wants to see what offers he can get. He said if it hasn't sold in a week it's mine.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Square bodies in general are not inherently rare, but certain variations of them are, and hence command a higher price. A K20 in decent condition like what the OP is looking at is not super easy to find in today's market without paying a premium in many places.

There are also ignorant impulse buyers with more money than sense that screw up the market by paying super high prices for run of the mill trucks. An example of this is my neighbor buying a mismatched non-running 86 C10 with no paint for 7k.

There are also instances where people simply get lucky and get a nice truck for a great bargain due to a seller's ignorance or generosity. At the end of the day, like others have said here many times, value is and always will be what the individual person is willing to pay.
It’s balancing the bargain buys and the “stole it” purchases like @CRM posted with the 10 grand junkers.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Update #2:
I went by the house and talked to him. Asked him if I could check out the rig. Someone in the past has removed the muffler and directed the exhaust pipes to their present position. He started it up and talk about LOUD! The engine ran smooth and sounded good though. I didn't drive it at this time because he's listed it online for $11,500 and he wants to see what offers he can get. He said if it hasn't sold in a week it's mine.
I was going to say I hope you bought it already. But apparently the owner hadn’t consulted the internet and doesn’t know anything about these trucks when he offered it up. If ya hadn’t waffled on chjewing him down mighta had it.
Now he’s in the “I know what I got” category, instantly, after his first look see at the internet…..
But if it doesn’t sell in a week he’s going to give you a deal of a lifetime?

Time to move on. Plus it has a chitty re-paint on it. Someone who can’t apply tape and plastic to the easy areas to cover up can’t be trusted that they actually did a good job with ANY of the prep.
Nice truck, probably needs to be sanded down to bare metal if painted.

CRM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
350 CI
It's definitely a DYI paint job. Someone has removed some of the smog system (I think). The tires need to go. But for $2500 there's plenty of money left for improvements. If he sells it then I saved $2500+. If he doesn't then I get a truck for less than what most people will pay around the country. It would end up being my "something to do after retiring" project.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dougli1