Should I?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
I was going to say I hope you bought it already. But apparently the owner hadn’t consulted the internet and doesn’t know anything about these trucks when he offered it up. If ya hadn’t waffled on chjewing him down mighta had it.
Now he’s in the “I know what I got” category, instantly, after his first look see at the internet…..
But if it doesn’t sell in a week he’s going to give you a deal of a lifetime?

Time to move on. Plus it has a chitty re-paint on it. Someone who can’t apply tape and plastic to the easy areas to cover up can’t be trusted that they actually did a good job with ANY of the prep.
Nice truck, probably needs to be sanded down to bare metal if painted.
The lack of fender emblems and drip rails also hints of a rushed repaint (some people do omit them intentionally for their own personal preference rather than cost cutting though.) but a k20, is still a k20, and would've been worth a gamble for parts alone at the $2500 price tag.

CRM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
350 CI
He still has all the trim, which I'll reinstall, if I end up with it.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I would pay it all day here in NC
Well since your giving it away can I take just one payment?
The man selling it is a golf buddy and the assistant Pastor of our church. Drove by and took a picture. I would rework the exhaust pipes first if I buy it.

You must be registered for see images attach
I like the tall canopy. I like above cab height canopies for the extra space, but personally I prefer the tin canopies BC they are light enough for me to take on and off by myself. I don't like pipes out before the rear wheel because of added noise and exhaust that gets in the cab, but it's a cheap way of getting the exhaust done. IDK about the dent it's not that bad I'd run that truck.
What I'm hearing is I need to pull an Ayden and buy up squares under 5k, get a tow rig and transport them east(South and North) in order to kick off an earnings spree. Who wants to be my co-pilot?
If I didn't have the farm and wife I'd be all in. That would be fun, but first we will need to build a BB square as our tow vehicle. Since there will be 2 of us and we will be far from home on some of these runs perhaps a suburban would be in order. 454 W/ SM465 or TH400?
He still has all the trim, which I'll reinstall, if I end up with it.
Good luck. I just can't believe the value of a square. I hope you get to take it home for around 2K

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The lack of fender emblems and drip rails also hints of a rushed repaint (some people do omit them intentionally for their own personal preference rather than cost cutting though.) but a k20, is still a k20, and would've been worth a gamble for parts alone at the $2500 price tag.

I really considered deleting the drip rails when I had the blue truck apart. Welder and bondo spreader headed past that part of the truck anyway…lol.
Kinda glad I didn’t, but I like the look.

To stay on topic, if it’s sitting there next week and you can buy it for near the original price it seems like a very good deal.

Last edited:

Radiohead

Reducing tire diameter 1000 revolutions at once
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
I really considered deleting the drip rails when I had the blue truck apart. Welder and bondo spreader headed past that part of the truck anyway…lol.
Kinda glad I didn’t, but I like the look.

To stay on topic, if it’s sitting there next week and you can buy it for near the original price it seems like a very good deal.
Funny you should mention deleting the drip rail. I'm considering extending the drip rails so when I open the door when it's wet out the rain has to go farther down the A pillar before it falls on my legs, seat and such when exiting the vehicle.

Anyone try that on their truck? Curious how you liked it...

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
If you buy that truck for anything less than $10K you better ask your Pastor to help you do some Praying for Forgiveness. That would be stealing down here where I live.
Wow that's nuts. Even up here in the land of rust that might be a $4-5k truck if the rest of it was really as solid as it looks. I still think he's getting a great deal, but really 10k being "sinful", especially down south where there is no road salt? Who would've thought

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Funny you should mention deleting the drip rail. I'm considering extending the drip rails so when I open the door when it's wet out the rain has to go farther down the A pillar before it falls on my legs, seat and such when exiting the vehicle.

Anyone try that on their truck? Curious how you liked it...
I haven't done it, but I know exactly what you mean. Why anyone would want to remove them is beyond me, if anything I'd rather have them a little longer...

Radiohead

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
Engine Size
I haven't done it, but I know exactly what you mean. Why anyone would want to remove them is beyond me, if anything I'd rather have them a little longer...
Brother has some drip rail in his parts stash he said I can play with. I haven't had any serious time noodling it yet, but with monsoon season on the way I've got too much to do before then to figure something out. When I do, I'll post up a thread to it.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Brother has some drip rail in his parts stash he said I can play with. I haven't had any serious time noodling it yet, but with monsoon season on the way I've got too much to do before then to figure something out. When I do, I'll post up a thread to it.
That would be awesome. Let me know how it goes

Radiohead

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
Engine Size
I cannot stress this enough, the price is based on Supply and Demand. Where you live these trucks may be plentiful and cheap. Where I live they are rare and expensive.

When I was shopping for my truck I spent a lot of time on Autotrader and Classiccars. I saw plenty that were overpriced and they would sit for 6 months or more without selling. The price would gradually drop to a reasonable point. Who knows what they would actually settle and sell for?

I like BringaTrailer because you can see what the vehicle actually sold for and what folks really believe they are worth.

Three very recent examples:

This perfect Suburban sold 2 days ago for $37,500:

This excellent but not completely original truck sold 5 days ago for $42,500:

On the same website we have this average example of a squarebody that is not as "desirable" but is still very useful. The price is much more reasonable, it sold 2 days ago for $6500.

Saw an 87 k10 on Mecum Texas go for 55k.
Nice money if you can get it

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
I knew a guy that did custom work on lots of squares back in the day. He said that "shaved" trucks were very trendy at one point. Many custom shops made it a point to eliminate as much exterior components as possible, the drip rails were often the first things to go. Mirror deletes, and filling in tailgate and door handles became common place too. I always hated the "shaved" look, but lots of folks paid lots of money to do it to their trucks, whether it was practical or not.

Radiohead

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
Engine Size
I remember that era. Shaving is something, when done tastefully, becomes a pleasure to behold.
Problem is, everyones taste threshold comes in at a different rpm. ;)

I wonder how much it would cost to put drip rails back on? Or modify the doors and/or door jambs for a built in rain gutter?

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
I knew a guy that did custom work on lots of squares back in the day. He said that "shaved" trucks were very trendy at one point. Many custom shops made it a point to eliminate as much exterior components as possible, the drip rails were often the first things to go. Mirror deletes, and filling in tailgate and door handles became common place too. I always hated the "shaved" look, but lots of folks paid lots of money to do it to their trucks, whether it was practical or not.
I remember living through that time where everyone shaved everything, and I still never understood it. Yeah I understand the "form over function", I remember when I worked at a junkyard and was requires to haul my tools back and forth to work (and even ended up living out of my car for a while during that time period) I still would not have anything other than a 2-seat fastback sports car. But I don't want it to rain inside my car (well, with the exception of the t-tops that didn't seal perfectly on that car lol)... I understand trying to look cool and enjoying certain unpractical things out of nothing but pleasure, but something like drip rails are so functional (and look normal) that it seems pointless to remove them. Especially on something utilitarian like a Chevy truck, not like they're sporty, pretty, or "cool"...

Shaved door handles always reminds me, I have a good friend (roommate at the time) that was working at Callaway back during the C6 era, they had no door handles and you waived your hand at the right part of the quarter panel with the key in your pocket so the door would magically pop open, I always struggled to get them to open quickly (I may be impatient). Hah well there were multiple occasions where some rich drunk dude would get fed up at not being able to open his door and would bring the car in the next day with a smashed window that needed to be replaced lol. They actually kept a couple driver's door windows in the back for such an occurrence. Just because something looks "neat" doesn't mean it's not a huge pain in the a$$ to deal with, and something that sucks so much to live with every day is not my idea of a good mod no matter how cool it may or may not look

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Square bodies in general are not inherently rare, but certain variations of them are, and hence command a higher price. A K20 in decent condition like what the OP is looking at is not super easy to find in today's market without paying a premium in many places.

There are also ignorant impulse buyers with more money than sense that screw up the market by paying super high prices for run of the mill trucks. An example of this is my neighbor buying a mismatched non-running 86 C10 with no paint for 7k.

There are also instances where people simply get lucky and get a nice truck for a great bargain due to a seller's ignorance or generosity. At the end of the day, like others have said here many times, value is and always will be what the individual person is willing to pay.
They are literally everywhere up here. I did a triathlon on Sunday and the bike course was 6 miles of back country rural road out and back from the lake. During that 6 miles out and 6 miles back, I saw AT LEAST three K20's in various fields and such that obviously hadn't been moved in years, two blazers in the same condition, several suburbans, and two crew cab 4x4's. $2k is about right for a K20 in this area with decent paint and interior. NOT good paint and interior, that would push it into the $3-5k range. Great condition with drivetrain upgrades is where you start to get into the $10-15k range. They are just too prevalent around here to go anywhere near that crazy $20-30k price range unless it has serious custom upgrades to suspension and drivetrain.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128