Shift pattern terminology?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael Wood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
350 cid. / 5.7L
Ok, This is probably going to be the dumbest post EVER!......but

I just want to make sure I am on the same page with everybody else...or at least most of you.

So this is what my shifter looks like:
You must be registered for see images attach

So when you guys talk about gears do you call "L" 1st or is "1" first?

I just read a post where a person made the comment "what your calling first gear".....

So for instance, when mine is in "1" it tends to jump out of gear when you let out the clutch sometimes so would everyone call that 1st gear or 2nd gear (with "L" being considered 1st?)

and while on the subject....WHY THE HELL DOES IT KEEP JUMPING OUTTA GEAR?!??!?! lol

Dmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have always called "L" first gear. Therefore, I generally start in second.

As far as the jumping out of gear, start by making sure all engine and transmission mounts are in solid shape, not allowing anything to move around. Otherwise, it sounds like you have some excessive wear in the trans, but I am definitely no expert.

While not optimal, most of us don't use first/low much, so as long as the other gears are working as normal, I would just live with it. If not, the four speeds are fairly bulletproof and used ones are plentiful and relatively inexpensive.

Hatchet54

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Red
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Sierra Grande
Engine Size
Like gotyourgoat said, I have generally heard these trans referred to as 3 speeds, with the low gear usually being considered a separate "granny" gear for towing or other technical driving.
I'm definitely aware of lots of guys calling this a 4 speed as well, so I think the vernacular comes down to preference, but 3 speed seems to be the more common one.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'd usually say when I had my SM420 in my 64, I start off in Granny 1st, or I skip Granny 1st and start in 2nd.

It's jumping outta gear because the synchro to the gear is wore out or broke. Probably wore out since it'll go into that gear ok, it just won't hold it in and spits it back out. I'd get a bearing, gasket and brass kit (snychro rings) for it and go through it.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I've mostly heard this called a four speed with a granny low, to differentiate between car four speeds with a standard low gear and a 1:1 high, or the later light duty truck 4 speeds that had an overdrive 4th gear. The truck 4 speed overdrive transmissions were not available until later years when they were trying to get better gas mileage with light trucks.

For example SM465 ratios are (based on Wikipedia):
1st- 6.55
2nd- 3.58
3rd- 1.70
4th- 1.0

However, in cars the ratios for a wide ratio Ford 4 speed top loader car transmission are: 2.78, 1.93, 1.36, 1.00. They also made a close ratio Ford transmission with a 2.32 low gear. In general, the Ford wide ratio was used with small blocks, and the close ratio with big blocks. The Muncie transmissions used by GM had similar choices.

Bruce

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
A transmission is always called by the # of forward gears regardless of the ratio. So it's a 4 speed because it has 4 forward speeds. Then you can specify w/ Granny Low so gear heads know which one you're talking about. You call up and order a rebuild kit for a Chevy Truck 3 speed, you're going to get the wrong parts to a Saginaw 3 speed which was used for the 3 on tree trucks usually behind an I6.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've mostly heard this called a four speed with a granny low, to differentiate between car four speeds with a standard low gear and a 1:1 high, or the later light duty truck 4 speeds that had an overdrive 4th gear. The truck 4 speed overdrive transmissions were not available until later years when they were trying to get better gas mileage with light trucks.

For example SM465 ratios are (based on Wikipedia):
1st- 6.55
2nd- 3.58
3rd- 1.70
4th- 1.0

However, in cars the ratios for a wide ratio Ford 4 speed top loader car transmission are: 2.78, 1.93, 1.36, 1.00. They also made a close ratio Ford transmission with a 2.32 low gear. In general, the Ford wide ratio was used with small blocks, and the close ratio with big blocks. The Muncie transmissions used by GM had similar choices.

Bruce
And there's also the Muncie M20, M21 and M22 Rock Crusher, which the SM 465 is also a Muncie and another reason you'd want to specify, w/ Granny Low. Someone says I have a Muncie 4 speed, I automatically assume is side case shifted M20, M21 or M22 passenger car transmission and some people do put those in trucks. I was one of them. I had a Muncie M21 and M22 in my 64 GMC with a Hurst Comp Plus Shifter. It was a street/strip truck and the truck transmission are not meant to be speed shifted and pretty much can't be done. I had taken out the SM 420 which is the before the SM 465 Granny 4 speeds used in up I believe 72 model trucks.

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I call them a 4 speed too, since they have 4 forward gears.
There wouldn't be any confusion, if they came with a plain black knob.

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
NO, 4 speed with Granny Low, it has 4 forward speeds so it's a 4 speed, not a 3.
In general car talk I'll probably still end up calling the tranny in question a 3spd with a granny low. 3 usable speeds with a granny low. For nothing else than that's how I grew up hearing it referred. Similarly with 3 on the tree. It's not on the column, well I mean it is there on the column, but it is certainly not how you say it.

It would also matter who you are talking to as well. Just mentioning the number of gears after saying theres a clutch could be confusing to some. Just stick shift would suffice. I would describe the 700r4 as a 4 spd. Now if I'm talking to a fellow car person there might be a joke somewhere in there about damn near having a granny low first. 3 usable speeds after you get out of first. But what do I know, I'll say anything.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
4 speed with low gear, this was a selling point years ago with the farming, industrial communities because a person could let it idle and hop out of the truck to load stuff in the bed down a line.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
4 speed with low gear, this was a selling point years ago with the farming, industrial communities because a person could let it idle and hop out of the truck to load stuff in the bed down a line.
Or if you were like my grandfather.... keep it in granny and step out on the running board to piss... lol

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Heavy Duty 4-Speed. Not a 3-Speed with a granny gear. Is an NV4500 a 3-speed with granny and overdrive? Nope. It's a 5-Speed Manual.

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
I had this trans in a k20 (3/4) pickup. It's a 4 speed as mentioned above since it has 4 forward gears. Only used L when pulling a heavy load or needing to creep/crawl.
I'd say your syncros are gone if jumping out of gear.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20