Shift pattern terminology?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael Wood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
350 cid. / 5.7L
I'd usually say when I had my SM420 in my 64, I start off in Granny 1st, or I skip Granny 1st and start in 2nd.

It's jumping outta gear because the synchro to the gear is wore out or broke. Probably wore out since it'll go into that gear ok, it just won't hold it in and spits it back out. I'd get a bearing, gasket and brass kit (snychro rings) for it and go through it.

Would absolutely LOVE to rebuild it but I no longer can do much work like that anymore AND I wouldn't know the first thing about doing it.

I will either find someone to rebuild it for me or just buy a rebuilt one....

Michael Wood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
350 cid. / 5.7L
If anyone is in the phoenix area and/or knows of one for sale in Arizona please let me know.

I am keeping an eye on Craigslist and other places for one.

It don't have to be a rebuilt one, just a good working one.

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Great tranny. We would let the ole Chevy idle in creeper and pick up rocks in the fields and reach in to turn it around at the end of the field. And load hay bales in it as it crept along... We had many of the old 465's.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
In general car talk I'll probably still end up calling the tranny in question a 3spd with a granny low. 3 usable speeds with a granny low. For nothing else than that's how I grew up hearing it referred. Similarly with 3 on the tree. It's not on the column, well I mean it is there on the column, but it is certainly not how you say it.

It would also matter who you are talking to as well. Just mentioning the number of gears after saying theres a clutch could be confusing to some. Just stick shift would suffice. I would describe the 700r4 as a 4 spd. Now if I'm talking to a fellow car person there might be a joke somewhere in there about damn near having a granny low first. 3 usable speeds after you get out of first. But what do I know, I'll say anything.
We're a bit nicer around here but don't get out on FB in the truck pages calling it a 3 speed cuz they'll be calling you a *******, an idiot, you don't know ****, etc etc. We won't do that here, but just saying, I'd take the advice and call it what it actually is, a 4 speed with granny low. Any transmission has 4 forward gears, no matter how low they are is a 4 speed. One of the roll backs I drive is a 10 speed semi truck transmission. I usually start off in 3rd or 4th gear cuz I simply rarely need 2nd or 3rd unless I'm hauling a heavy ass ambulance but we don't call it a 6 speed cuz I start off in 4th.

Just making the suggestion for your own good. It's kinda like these ******* libtard gun grabbing idiots that want to talk guns and call a magazine a clip. It's not a fukin clip. A clip goes in an SKS or an M1 Garande but most handguns and AR's use magazines. So here they want to talk guns but they look like idiots doing it when they can't even get the terminology correct.

roundhouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
77,78,79,80 ?
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
In the south , where I live , it’s called a granny four speed
Or
Four speed granny

If you get a chance to replace it with a NV-3500 or NV-4500 five speed , do it

Both are far better transmissions for daily driving

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
In the south , where I live , it’s called a granny four speed
Or
Four speed granny

If you get a chance to replace it with a NV-3500 or NV-4500 five speed , do it

Both are far better transmissions for daily driving

I'd agree as far as gear ratios they are far better. NV4500 is very strong like the SM465 and NV3500 is strong enough. I'd have no problem running an NV3500 in one of my trucks.

Michael Wood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
350 cid. / 5.7L
I have no intention of going with a different trans unless they are the same exact length so I wouldn't have to change the drive shaft & trans mount

roundhouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
77,78,79,80 ?
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Having a drive shaft shortened is easy and cheap

Drilling four holes in the frame to move the crossmember is easy
I have no idea about the length

The NV3550 I swapped in my bronco in place of the T-18 was the exact same length

I swapped the 3500 in the 76 K10 in place of the SM465 but I don’t remember if the driveshaft needed mods or not

I think I swapped the transfer case from a NP205 to a NP 208 at the same time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8