Rusty/dirty frame

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doug80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My 80 k10 Frame has surface rust on it and the paint that was on or whatever was on it is all peeling off. Rust has no gone threw nor made rust holes. But I was wondering is it still worth sanding it down to repair it or does it need to be sandblasted? I can post pics tomorrow afternoon if those will help. The worst of it is under the bed which is also rusted to hell. So I'll be on the hunt for a new bed to.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Are you doing a frame off? Or just wanting to pretty it up as a whole truck?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
If it's a frame-off; you might want to consider getting it dipped (i.e hot dip galvanized).

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
oohhhh that sounds interesting ?

Doug80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Are you doing a frame off? Or just wanting to pretty it up as a whole truck?

Not a frame off. Just want to get it cleaned up and protect it from rusting threw. Since I live in the rust belt or is that just a wast of time?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Not a frame off. Just want to get it cleaned up and protect it from rusting threw. Since I live in the rust belt or is that just a wast of time?

The thing is its pretty hard to clean it up with everything still bolted to it. There are a lot of dirt and rust that accumulate behind brackets and cross members so even with the frame all by itself it takes a lot of tedious time to clean it up.

But any thing is always better than nothing. If you can scrape the paint off then you could use POR 15 or Chassis saver or something like that. If you can completely get rid of rust Epoxy primer works well and then coat it with some kinda high solids paint.

Actually the best rust inhibitor is to bath it in motor oil. Only problem is it doesn't look very nice. LOL Ever notice that the metal that gets coated from oil leaks is always in top notch shape ?

Doug80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The thing is its pretty hard to clean it up with everything still bolted to it. There are a lot of dirt and rust that accumulate behind brackets and cross members so even with the frame all by itself it takes a lot of tedious time to clean it up.

But any thing is always better than nothing. If you can scrape the paint off then you could use POR 15 or Chassis saver or something like that. If you can completely get rid of rust Epoxy primer works well and then coat it with some kinda high solids paint.

Actually the best rust inhibitor is to bath it in motor oil. Only problem is it doesn't look very nice. LOL Ever notice that the metal that gets coated from oil leaks is always in top notch shape ?

That does make since with the motor oil lol and thank you very much

MannyDantyla

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
sbc350/sm365/np205
If then main seal in the engine is just a little drippy then you're all set!

Seriously though.. get a big long wire brush attachement for a drill and hit up the frame as best you can, then try a rust converter (CRC is the best that I've researched, but Rustoleum Rust-Reformer is cheaper and locally available). Then paint over that with a tough paint.

A lot of people like POR-15 but it's expensive, hard to apply, and toxic. You have to clean the metal with their special cleaner which I believe contains phosphoric acid, the same acid in "self etching" primers.

Doug80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If then main seal in the engine is just a little drippy then you're all set!

Seriously though.. get a big long wire brush attachement for a drill and hit up the frame as best you can, then try a rust converter (CRC is the best that I've researched, but Rustoleum Rust-Reformer is cheaper and locally available). Then paint over that with a tough paint.

A lot of people like POR-15 but it's expensive, hard to apply, and toxic. You have to clean the metal with their special cleaner which I believe contains phosphoric acid, the same acid in "self etching" primers.

The rustoleum sounds like a good choice. might have to look into that for sure!

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Im cleaning up a frame currently that was shot with epoxy primer and then paint and it has held up really well but like anything the rust must be gone first!

MannyDantyla

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
sbc350/sm365/np205
The rustoleum sounds like a good choice. might have to look into that for sure!

It's not magic, of course. I'm using the Rustoleum Rust reformer and on some spots that I didn't wire wheel the rust off very well, rust has already come back through a layer of Rustoleum Rust Reformer and Rustoleum Stops Rust enamel.

Doug80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
It's not magic, of course. I'm using the Rustoleum Rust reformer and on some spots that I didn't wire wheel the rust off very well, rust has already come back through a layer of Rustoleum Rust Reformer and Rustoleum Stops Rust enamel.

That's very good to know. This weekend I hope to get new shocks on and a new hood and hopefully drop my tank and fix whatever issue that is causing my gas gauge to not work. then when it does work but when it flips out moving back and forth sooooo we shall see.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
POR15 is the best frame coating you can get IMO. Long lasting, stops rust and looks great and holds up extremely well.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
POR15 is the best frame coating you can get IMO. Long lasting, stops rust and looks great and holds up extremely well.

Yes it is. Just hard to apply. You have to follow the directions to a T. And if any is left over use it up fast or it goes bad

Im using POR15 on my frame when I get it all cleaned up. Probably just pay to have it sand blasted and cooked.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Although Im intrigued with maybe buying my own hydro sand blasting unit