2WD to 4WD frame swap. Is it really that simple??? Help me out!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
$1800 for a full 4x4 frame is a good deal, especially with the service body and all the other parts.
The double shocks up front are an OEM factory option. I have that option on a 4x4 blazer. Cool talking point at shows, not sure how much better performance they provide, however one of the first "up-grades" that used to be highlighted in the magazines was multiple shocks. I have an old Rancho multiple shock adapter kit, and the OEM set up is much neater. You can still run just one shock tho' and it will work.
The 2 - 4wd swap is "straight-forward" ( ie. if you are into lifting off and swapping the cab on you truck projects type of straightforward ). Only issue may be transmission clearance. I would check if the original 4x4 has a high hump ( cover usually unbolts ), v. your 2wd. If that is the case, you will want to cut out the centre floor area from the 4wd that contains the high hump section, and weld into the 2wd floor. There are lots of photos and articles on doing this on the web, if you google high hump conversion. Everything else is the same, assuming both trucks are either manual or auto, if not you will need to choose which way to go, and complete that conversion also.
I would recommend you replace all cab mounts, otherwise lining up sheet metal will never work. Also look at upgrading to a hydroboost to replace the vacuum brake booster.
Post pics as you go through the conversion !..
The service bed is not included. It comes with the original bed. If the deal goes through I will do how to video on my channel :cheers:

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Mid 80's C10 low trans tunnel cab w/column shift converted to 4wd with parts from a K20.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

RanchWelder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
--------
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
355ci
My next thing to verify is the front and rear dif.
These 10 bolts get overloaded and they are known to have saw dust stuffed in the case to stop the groaning before they sell.

Unfortunately, not verifying if you are the unlucky recipient of a bad rear end can ruin the deal.
Pull the diff plugs and dip to the bottom of the case with a magnet.
You'll get oil depth and any crumbs from the bearings and gears in one shot.
If it has been packed with wood, then the guy before you got ripped off.

That hood does not look bent either. Try to remember to lube the hinges and springs before you try and shut the hood after you photo the engine bay.
If they are dry, you could bend the hood on the first day.

There's a reason it's parked. Any back story?
Transmission work?
How's the frame?

Last edited:

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
So the guy that was going to sell me the truck was a total nut case.
I did not get it.

If anyone has a Lead, Ill give you a finders fee. 81/87 1500 long bed 6/lug only. Thanks all!

RanchWelder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
--------
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
355ci
Wrote 5 business plans based on a "Finder's Fee".

Not one of them paid off.
3 were blocked and 2 were funded and ripped me off.
Refuse to act like, or hire a gangster lawyer, in order to get paid.

Come to Montana this Spring with a Long or double stack Trailer?

We have no salt roads and there's hundreds of them everywhere.
Take 2, they are small. You can hire my neighbor to haul your truck behind his hay hauler affordably.
Craig'slist has a dozen every month. You can do better though.

If you have never been here and spent a few weeks looking for a good body or frame, you should try it out.

Call a few yards, post a load for hire on a semi brokerage site. You'll get a bite, the shipping will not be as bad as you think.
The trip will be amazing, here in the Helena or Galatin US Forrestry National Park. You might even see Yogi and Booboo.
You can fish the Smith, or thousands of other fishing areas, (never fish the same river twice), and find the monster Trout of your dreams.

You might meet an old rancher with the perfect truck too.

The trout are awsome. The vehicles are classic everywhere. Zero rust.

I'm sad you lost the sale on that rig, it could have been a lemon!
If you come here, with any luck, you find three or four trucks to bring home, you'll be the guy getting the firnder's fees!

The journey is the back story to finding a perfect truck.
Don't skip the journey by offering a finder's fee... Earn one.

You'll miss the trout!

Fat 454

Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban
Engine Size
Hey Ranch Welder - that is the coolest post I have read ever !.. Couldn't agree more about the value of the journey. Still think its funny offering someone from Texas to go to another state as they have "more " of something !!. Will definately take you up on this next time we can head that way. Awesome!..
Nasty - Used to live in New Mexico / Co. border area. There are ( used to be ) loads of rust free trucks in the NM boneyards ( and backyards ) too. Also a lot closer the MT ... good luck.

Kilian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
K
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 hopefully converting to K2500
Engine Size
I'm in the process of doing the same swap for my 83 3/4 ton. I'm up in Wisconsin, but have been surprised by the number of decent frames that I've come across on FB Marketplace even being in the rust belt. I had brought home an immaculate 75 frame but was a little concerned about the 73-80 vs 81-87 differences. Found an 82 frame in great condition and sold 75 and made money. You never know what you'll come across.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
You can get a rolling half or 3/4 ton long bed frame here in Oregon for about $2-300. You can get a trashed but complete truck for well under $1000. Everyone is posting their junk up for sale for thousands of dollars now because of the stupid used car inflation spike, but they aren't selling at those prices around here. You just have to keep your eyes open for the reasonable ones to pop up or show up with cash in hand to one that has been listed for a long time.

kkgp81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kelley
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I’ve been doing a c10-k10 conversion. I found a Blazer frame for the axles and some parts and bought the rest from eBay/LMC/ORD. A frame swap may have been easier but I was given the base C10 so figured I would roll with it. You can do the front end without even taking the body off the frame.

Also, adding a blazer tank in the rear using the blazer crossmembers.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Attachments

• IMG_1475.jpeg
    IMG_1475.jpeg
    187.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1369.jpeg
    IMG_1369.jpeg
    194.5 KB · Views: 13

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member